Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: REGION 2 STREAM FISHING CLOSURES  (Read 17948 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Re: REGION 2 STREAM FISHING CLOSURES
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »

Wow, these closures are definitely concerning to say the least. The water on the C-V is certainly warmer than average especially during mid-day. All this information has made me come to the conclusion that i'm finished fishing the Vedder until we get a big dump of rain which may not be for a while so it's probably time to put the rods in the closet for the time being. :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »

Region 2's freshwater salmon fishing openings and limits have also been updated by DFO to stay consistent with the province's closure starting today.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

Renegade

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »

I was on the Skagit yesterday (July 22) and the water temperature was 12C and there is quite a good flow of water, much more than is normal by late September.  There were no significant hatches underway, as expected because of the low water temperature.  The Skagit may end up in trouble later this summer, but there is certainly no problem now and it should not have been included in the stream closure.  I have been other streams in other parts of BC this summer where temperatures were 20-22C, nearly lethal for trout under stress, but they have not been closed.  I agree that streams should be closed to fishing when the flows are too little or the temperatures are too high.  But the decision to close should be based on hard data not guesses.  Presumably, the lack of data about stream conditions is due to cutbacks of ministry staff. The the BC government is happy to take our money for license fees for fishing opportunities now lost.  A simple fix would be to add Skagit Park to Manning Park as not closed to fishing in streams.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 07:59:45 PM »

I was on the Skagit yesterday (July 22) and the water temperature was 12C and there is quite a good flow of water, much more than is normal by late September.  There were no significant hatches underway, as expected because of the low water temperature.  The Skagit may end up in trouble later this summer, but there is certainly no problem now and it should not have been included in the stream closure.  I have been other streams in other parts of BC this summer where temperatures were 20-22C, nearly lethal for trout under stress, but they have not been closed.  I agree that streams should be closed to fishing when the flows are too little or the temperatures are too high.  But the decision to close should be based on hard data not guesses.  Presumably, the lack of data about stream conditions is due to cutbacks of ministry staff. The the BC government is happy to take our money for license fees for fishing opportunities now lost.  A simple fix would be to add Skagit Park to Manning Park as not closed to fishing in streams.

Issue isnt so much the temperature or level of the Skagit,  but the insane amount of pressure that would result from the closures...

shi man oh man

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »

Seeing as these are stream closures, Ross lake is obviously still fishable? Anyone?

joshhowat

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »

The skagit is 0.9 meter lower then last year at the same time. that's a lot when there is still the rest of July , August and September of very little rain. Just look to Cali for what we have to come if Bc's weather stays on this course.

A few years ago I was in Smithers late September and had a week of weather in the 25 c range. Sunscreen anyone....
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »

The only thing that sucks about these closures is that I can no longer fish for my warm water species (Carp and Bass) in my favourite sloughs  :( No fishing for warm water species in the extremely warm water... go figure lol. It's too bad they couldn't have pegged on a "no fishing for salmonids," but I guess that would be extremely hard for the CO's/DFO's to regulate.

wizard

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

Yeah, besides creating havoc conditions for the salmon, Trout and native species of fish it is creating ideal conditions for invasives like brown catfish.

Keep an eye out for these guys in the fraser, could only expect their numbers to spike as warming continues. Not good.

http://alienspecies.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/eng/species/brown-bullhead-catfish
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:59:55 AM by wizard »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:01 AM »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »

The only thing that sucks about these closures is that I can no longer fish for my warm water species (Carp and Bass) in my favourite sloughs  :(
You might be OK depending on the water.

See this post re: whether places like Pitt Marsh would count as a stream or lake for the purposes of gear restrictions. ie could you use a treble on a crankbait while bass fishing.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38150.msg359022#msg359022

Based on that response it would seem that Pitt marsh and other agriculture irrigation channels containing bass/carp should be considered stillwater and therefore exempt from the closures.

Archer

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »

OK, so can I fish for Sturgeon in Fort Langley from shore? I thought no but a dude fishing from the pump house this morning assured me its all good? I thought ALL fishing was banned on the tidal Fraser???

Humpy

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »

OK, so can I fish for Sturgeon in Fort Langley from shore? I thought no but a dude fishing from the pump house this morning assured me its all good? I thought ALL fishing was banned on the tidal Fraser???
All salmon fishing is banned,
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Archer

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »

Only salmon is banned on the tidal portion of the Fraser. OK then, look out dino's!!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »

As per the response above saying that sloughs are not streams. I thought the same thing at first and went digging through the regs. Under the definitions section on page 96, a "stream" is defined as any moving body of water, and sloughs are listed under the definition of steams.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »

Thinking about going for a ride in the quad up chilliwack valley and bringing the rod but wasn't too sure if the chilliwacks tributaries that are typically open still remain... Ie tamahi.???