Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aevitas Inc Pulls Out .  (Read 18616 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Aevitas Inc Pulls Out .
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Aevitas Inc puts the breaks on the hazardous waste facility in Chilliwack by the Fraser River.

More details to follow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Aevitas Inc Pulls Out .
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:50:31 PM »

NOTIFICATION                        May 6, 2015

I regret to inform all interested parties that Aevitas Inc. is no longer pursuing the development and building of a state of the art special waste management  facility in Chilliwack.  Our intent was to build a recycling facility that could handle and manage drummed hazardous waste, transformer oil and fluorescent lamps from BC.  Aevitas Inc. has been a leader throughout Canada in these specialized waste recycling niches for over twenty years.   Unfortunately the multiple hurdles have accumulated to a never ending uphill battle.  We would like to thank the City of Chilliwack for their support and understanding of the project and CHP Architects for delivering a top notch design. 
Aevitas Inc. shares the concern of opposition groups to protect the Fraser River.  It is unfortunate that efforts and funding can not be collaborated to develop world class facilities and processes as opposed to stopping them.  In this day and age, we do have the means to manage these wastes in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.   These wastes are present in everyone’s daily lives and without facilities such as the one we were proposing, improper disposal disburses them into the air, land and water.
Again we would like to thank everyone that provided support and positive feedback looking for a way to make the project work.  You are the true environmental activists!

With great disappointment,

Byron Day
President
Aevitas Inc.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »

I guess this was expected ... too much opposition from too many biggee's, and I'm sure many groups consider this a victory. And maybe it is -  but I'm looking forward to seeing where a facility like this will actually be built.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »

It needs to be built, but not next to a river.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:35:32 PM »

I guess this was expected ... too much opposition from too many biggee's, and I'm sure many groups consider this a victory. And maybe it is -  but I'm looking forward to seeing where a facility like this will actually be built.
And you know what is next. ;D ;D ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:49 PM »

Not really surprised.....Yet another example of a company trying to do what environmentalists and the general public have been crying for (i.e. hazardous waste recycling) years only to be quashed by environmentalists.  This decision does nothing to protect the Fraser River or adjacent tributaries that flow into it as these materials will continue to be dumped in landfills or dumped illegally off the side of a road.  If it is not dealt with safely and properly then these materials will continue to make their way into the Fraser, so I sort of find it strange how opponents can actually call this a victory.  The fact is that most of this hazardous material is not dealt with properly and is making it’s way into our air and water already.  The environment lost today.

I find it humorous that there are critics that say that it was all about the location and not about what the company was trying to do. That's false because their statements in the press say otherwise.  Although there were many critics that stated that the proximity of the facility to the Fraser was their sole criticism, there were those within the opposition ranks that went further and basically turned up the fear mongering in order to make the company not welcome to the Chilliwack area, period.  These individuals were engaged in spreading fear about Aevitas trucks crashing on Hwy#1 with their contents making their way into the Fraser River, air quality, fire, and earthquakes.  These particular critics forgot about the 2 major railways that carry hazardous materials already in close proximity to the Fraser River.  I am surprised terrorism wasn’t mentioned.  It appeared to be more about an exercise on brainstorming on how many things could go wrong with this facility based on perceptions rather than trying to find solutions.  According to critics, there were many other locations for this facility, but to my knowledge only one organization actually went on record and endorsed another location.  Critics of the facility apparently know what constitutes as a bad site, but in the same respect do not express any knowledge about what constitutes as a good site.  In my opinion, it wasn’t about the location anymore – locals just didn’t want it.  Unfortunately, opposition will follow this company if it chooses another location in this province.  If another location is found then another reason or more will be brought up to kill the facility. 

Similar to other initiatives intended to protect the environment that are killed by environmentalists, we will likely come full circle again where the same environmentalists will complain that government and industry are not doing enough to recycle hazardous waste.  In the meantime, some vocal critics of this facility will continue with their hypocritical support of gravel removal further upstream which potentially threatens wild Salmon and Sturgeon – another loss for the environment….at the hands of “environmentalists”.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »

Not really surprised.....Yet another example of a company trying to do what environmentalists and the general public have been crying for (i.e. hazardous waste recycling) years only to be quashed by environmentalists.  This decision does nothing to protect the Fraser River or adjacent tributaries that flow into it as these materials will continue to be dumped in landfills or dumped illegally off the side of a road.  If it is not dealt with safely and properly then these materials will continue to make their way into the Fraser, so I sort of find it strange how opponents can actually call this a victory.  The fact is that most of this hazardous material is not dealt with properly and is making it’s way into our air and water already.  The environment lost today.

I find it humorous that there are critics that say that it was all about the location and not about what the company was trying to do. That's false because their statements in the press say otherwise.  Although there were many critics that stated that the proximity of the facility to the Fraser was their sole criticism, there were those within the opposition ranks that went further and basically turned up the fear mongering in order to make the company not welcome to the Chilliwack area, period.  These individuals were engaged in spreading fear about Aevitas trucks crashing on Hwy#1 with their contents making their way into the Fraser River, air quality, fire, and earthquakes.  These particular critics forgot about the 2 major railways that carry hazardous materials already in close proximity to the Fraser River.  I am surprised terrorism wasn’t mentioned.  It appeared to be more about an exercise on brainstorming on how many things could go wrong with this facility based on perceptions rather than trying to find solutions.  According to critics, there were many other locations for this facility, but to my knowledge only one organization actually went on record and endorsed another location.  Critics of the facility apparently know what constitutes as a bad site, but in the same respect do not express any knowledge about what constitutes as a good site.  In my opinion, it wasn’t about the location anymore – locals just didn’t want it.  Unfortunately, opposition will follow this company if it chooses another location in this province.  If another location is found then another reason or more will be brought up to kill the facility. 

Similar to other initiatives intended to protect the environment that are killed by environmentalists, we will likely come full circle again where the same environmentalists will complain that government and industry are not doing enough to recycle hazardous waste.  In the meantime, some vocal critics of this facility will continue with their hypocritical support of gravel removal further upstream which potentially threatens wild Salmon and Sturgeon – another loss for the environment….at the hands of “environmentalists”.
Bring on the FF next, hope to see you on the Wild Salmon Caravan this coming week. ;D ;D ;D

PS I imagine you were pleased Bill C- 51 passed yesterday that will deal with us terrorists. :-\
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:56:49 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »

No Aevitas site here now.
https://youtu.be/-1sPGYMqX2w

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »

Well, you could take them to the Cheam Band's dump, or perhaps to Seabird Island ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »

Well, you could take them to the Cheam Band's dump, or perhaps to Seabird Island ;)
I will let you tackle the first one, let us know how it goes.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:49:55 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »

My coverage of the proceedings yesterday.

https://youtu.be/4FCzSB7lyyw