Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon with 5wt  (Read 27691 times)

BananasQ

Pink salmon with 5wt
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »

Hi, I'm very new to fly fishing - I've got a 9 foot 5wt set up. My question is, do you think I will be able to use this for beach / rock fishing for Pinks in Howe Sound this summer? I'd rather not have to buy a 6wt or 8wt - but I don't want to trash my 5wt. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:15:08 PM by BananasQ »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Pink salmon with 5wt
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »

I used a 5wt Sage fly rod for many years off the beach at Furry creek for pink salmon. Make sure to practice your casting and get yourself to where you can comfortably cast the entire fly line because this could mean the difference between fish or nothing on some days. You may also find the wind blows directly at you making it even harder to get the line way out there.

Clear sink tip is also something you'll want to have and learn to cast with for the beaches. It only takes your fly down a couple inches but the fish see it better under the water rather than skimming in the surface film.

When tying or buying flies remember small, sparse, and shiny. Pink, chartreuse are usually best
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BananasQ

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:34:44 AM »

Thanks - I'll probably splash on another spool with sink tip as I currently only have floating line. Any particular recommendations on the value side?  I have young kids and cant get out that often, so I am okay buying something that isn't "the best of the best" right now.  I'll be likely going to Sea Run to get my stuff.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:43:21 AM by BananasQ »

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »

I have a Sage 3300D fly reel and spool that would be a good pickup for you to use.  Its a Disc drag system in platinum with backing on both reel and spool Rod 604-798-3040

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »

BananasQ, I would highly recommend just staying with the floating line and not spending more money. I beach fish a lot on Van Island, and sink tips are just a pain in the my friend. I've never found they make a difference, ever. If anything, the prevent catching fish due to having your fly to low and dragging on the bottom (that being said if you're fishing deeper water - unlike a tapered beach, a sink tip may help).

Tie up some bead head California Neil's in Chartreuse, and some in pink. Also tie some pink handlebar's and other shrimp patterns. I've also had good luck on smaller flash flies and needlefish patterns as well. Generally, all you'll need is those chartreuse California Neil's.

If you really want to get down, tie some flies with dumbell heads on them. Floating line gives you more diversity - can use poppers, somewhat heavy flies to get you mid water (bead heads), or dumbell flies to get you down deep. Some days retrieval speed matters as well more than anything. Those days, we're talking a dead slow figure 8 retrieval or the slowest strip you can muster works - again, a sink tip will only end down in the rocks chewing your line. The only time a clear sink is good is on a fast 2-3 inch strip, which is what the pinks want 90% of the time, but that other 10% you're not going to get a thing.

And back to your original question, yes a 5 wt is more than enough for pinks. Good luck! 

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:25 PM »

Furry creek pinks like to stay near the surface.Everyone loves those times when the BIG school comes porpoising and everyone hooking up....
I usually just use weighted flies no need for a sink tip.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »

#3 for floating line with bead chain or dumbells for weight. If you need a slow sink tip get a clear poly-leader for around $15. They just loop on to the front of your floating line. Most of the beach at Furry is fairly shallow - except at low tide on the south side. Even then you can hang your fly in the barnacles if you're not careful. Two flies have worked for me - a take off on the Pink Eve -  just a silver body with a wing of some sort of pink artificial hair or fibre. The 2nd is the Pink Puke. #10 short shank hook, small bead chain eyes, hot pink plastic chenille body and hot pink or cerise marabou tail.

One thing to consider is that the seals off Furry Creek have gotten use to stealing salmon off fishing lines so try to get your fish in as quickly as possible. The first time a seal takes your fish you'll think you've hooked a world record spring. Anytime after that you'll just be pissed!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:16:53 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BananasQ

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:26:08 PM »

This is great - thanks for the help everyone!  Now I just need a time machine to get me 3 months in the future so I can actually get out there and give this all a try! :)

rustybee

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »

Pinky season will come in no time. Lots of good advise here.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »

Personally, I would go no lower than a 6 wt. But to each his own.

fisherforever

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »

Personally, I would go no lower than a 6 wt. But to each his own.
X2, especially if you're just a C&R angler, get the fish in quick and then a quick release. No sense playing a fish to exhaustion and then releasing.

BananasQ

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »

X2, especially if you're just a C&R angler, get the fish in quick and then a quick release. No sense playing a fish to exhaustion and then releasing.

Thanks - this is all good advice. However in this we are looking to retain only - I wont keep hitting pinks once I limit.  If this is a successful summer, I get the "bug" for fly fishing, then I think I will end up investing in more and more items like a heavier set.  Until then I think I can make do with my 5wt and see where it takes me. :D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »

So your telling me landing them in a couple minutes is too much ?

I put the nuts to them and get them in.......even on a 5wt without any issue. I have been using a switch rod the last 3 cycles though.

Pinks aren't known for long battles and can be landed easily in 5 minutes or less. If you were river fishing them then I'd suggest stepping up to a 6-8wt rod but for beaches a 5wt is fine because they can't use any current to their advantage dragging out the battle time and possibly rendering them too exhausted to be revived

If you feel under gunned with your 5wt then look into a heavier rod or use a spinning rod until you can afford something. If you plan to fly fish for coho, chum, springs or steelhead then I would start saving for a 7-8wt rod now so you can buy it by fall
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »

They average 3 to 5lbs. Some of the males will be bigger. Nobody would bat an eye if you told them you were catching 3 or 4lb trout in the interior on a 5wt. Hard to say without knowing the specific rod but you should be ok with a 5. I use an #8 single hand - an old Sage Sp - very light action for the weight. I've used beefer #6 rods both in the river and on the beach. They all work fine.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »

my 2 cents.

I have fished pinks with a cheap but decent 5 wt set up; a dragonfly 2 with reel combo that comes with two spools, typically found around 110-120 bucks.  It's a good value and while slightly noodly with a good quality line, it will cast almost the whole spool, based on your ability to single or double haul. 

You will find the rod a little under gunned for the bigger humppies (males that can push 6-8 lbs) but for the average fish it will be a good fight.  However it will also be a decent general purpose rod for trout in stocked lakes, interior choronimide still water fishing and cutties. Then you can get yourself a decent 8 wt single for steel, sockeye, coho and chum or go for a double hand once you become addicted.....  Also note, the 5 wt single might be a bit of a struggle if you only intend to fish tidal because of winds.  A bigger rod with heavier shooting line will help with the decent cast.  As mentioned before, distance can make all the difference.  You will need to cast where you see surface activity.  At Fury I have seen folks in waders over the top, up to their pits because they needed that extra 20 feet.

Sparse silver pink and chartreuse bead headed flies are the ticket, easy and cheep to tie yourself.  Even a piece of pink wool in an egg loop will work in the rivers, where casting distance to the fish is not such an issue. 

It may be different in the sea, but in the rivers, such as the Squamish where there is a little colour don't bother dicking around with tapper leaders.  just stick with 8-12lbs mono no more than 3 feet, they are not leader shy.  If you are worried about your rod just straighten it up by pointing at the fish and let it break you off.

If you want to try an easy river location with lots of casting room, try the Mamquam Bar, in the Mamquam/Squamish confluence.  I'll probably see you there in
just over  4 months!  Whoop!

Good luck.