Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon with 5wt  (Read 27688 times)

ajransom

Re: Pink salmon with 5wt
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »

5 weigh is totally fine if thats what you already have. As others have said, pinks are not very big, but they are REALLY fun to catch on a fly rod.

Hook makes a very important point - CASTING! Best advice is to practice getting long casts out there. The best rod in the world is no substitute if you can get more than 30 feet of line out. You need to be casting at least 60 feet (pref more), esp off the beach.

Good luck!

Pink flies are super simple - go sparse and minimalist, they cast easier.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »

While I don't want to discount casting skills if you can't manage that kind of distance don't be discouraged into not going! Pinks will often come very close to the beach particularly early in the morning, on certain sections of the beach and at certain tides. You can watch for surface signs of fish - rises or fins then cover what you can reach. If you have trouble reaching fish at Furry - wait until into August and fish the Squamish where you can catch fish with little more than 10 feet of fly line off the tip of your rod.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BananasQ

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 07:58:31 AM »

Yes, I think Squamish looks perfect. My eldest will be eight and she has decided this is the year she catches her first salmon and I just found her bargain neoprene waders off of Craigslist. So if you see a father and daughter up there, him "getting to grips" with fly fishing and the young girl with a pink rod who is probably out-fishing her old man, come over and say hi - we're Barney and Esmé respectively. :)

Thanks again for all the pointers. Roll on summer! 8)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »

Perfect place to get her into fishing pinks. They don't travel out very far either maybe 60 feet max from shore but usually within 20-30 feet. Set her up with a small float setup and then just use pink or chartreuse wool. This is how I set up my boys and they out fish me and keep me busy helping them land fish more than fishing myself, great times :D

If you want to get fancy then tie a bit of silver mylar on the hooks she'll be using but leave a bit of gap by the hook eye for tying in the mono for the wool OR tie it all on like a fly. A lot of the time a bit of flash can make a big difference on pinks.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »

When do pinks start to show up a Fury?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »

When do pinks start to show up a Fury?
The first one i got last pink year was July 17th.I fished from the beginning of July and a massive school showed up that day.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »

I would also agree that mid July is when the larger schools show up more frequently. I've gotten them at the beginning of July but it's usually a matter of being lucky there is a school around or you happen to entice bites from the few swimming around. Being able to cast far always helps with finding the early fish however OR having a boat to sit out there further and locate them.

Don't only go to Furry creek. There is several good beaches along the See to Sky for pinks. Try exploring and you may find yourself in a way less crowded area with just as good or better fishing. I don't fish Furry anymore because it's getting ridiculous out there with people
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »

Be sure to check for shoreline closures here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#allspecies

The in shore areas around Porteau Cove and Britannia Beach are closed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BananasQ

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »

Be sure to check for shoreline closures here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#allspecies

The in shore areas around Porteau Cove and Britannia Beach are closed.

Thanks RalphH - was looking at those as my cousin lives at Britannia Beach and she was hoping to join me for a trip there.  However, I totally get it being closed and if you look at how polluted that creek used to be (most polluted in Canada, if not N America) then the regeneration that is being seen there is fantastic.  Interestingly the closure for Britannia Beach is only until August 15th - what do you think the odds are that the pinks will still be around after that date?

And I seriously just need it to be summer already.... :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »

there should be Pinks around at least until late in the month

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »

there should be Pinks around at least until late in the month

I find by the middle of August a lot of them are getting coloured and very coloured. I switch to the Fraser areas by mid August
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:36:36 AM »

I guess so. Run timing can vary by several days from cycle to cycle and if anything number start to drop off rapidly in the last half of August but I have been able to find clean & even chrome pinks to the end of August in the Sound and even the first few days of September in the river.

BananasQ

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

Perfect place to get her into fishing pinks. They don't travel out very far either maybe 60 feet max from shore but usually within 20-30 feet. Set her up with a small float setup and then just use pink or chartreuse wool. This is how I set up my boys and they out fish me and keep me busy helping them land fish more than fishing myself, great times :D

Thanks HOOK; I've got myself a 7ft baitcaster set up and was thinking of using that for exactly this purpose with maybe some jigs.  That should do the business shouldn't it?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 10:59:40 AM »

Yes it would work perfectly. Short float your jigs in pinks, chartreuse andpurples with a little bit of sparkle and you'll find yourself saying Fish On a lot  ;D

Those are my top colour palettes I start with. Hardly ever need more than chartreuse or pink. Sometimes pink with some purple is the key though
Check out our new blog

BananasQ

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »

Yes it would work perfectly. Short float your jigs in pinks, chartreuse andpurples with a little bit of sparkle and you'll find yourself saying Fish On a lot  ;D

Those are my top colour palettes I start with. Hardly ever need more than chartreuse or pink. Sometimes pink with some purple is the key though

Thanks! I'll let her pick the colours for her jigs (with some guidance). I feel confident in predicting most of them will have some pink in them. :D