Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bella Coola River  (Read 3251 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Bella Coola River
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »

Heading to Bella Coola in early April to put in a shop foundation at the Snootli Creek hatchery.Probably won't have much time for fishing,but looks like the river is pretty close.Timing is off for salmon,no fishing for steelhead in effect,thinking fly/spin for trout/bulls.Any tips/info would help....thanx
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

cammer

• I'm a llama!
Re: Bella Coola River
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »

Salmon hali??,, take pics

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »

Salmon hali??,, take pics
I'm pretty sure there are no Halibut in that river.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »

Lol. Go ocean fishing, screw river

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:48:53 AM »

I've done really well in the Atnarko fishing for bulls in the spring.

Size 14 hares ears under an indicator. Not really what you would expect for bulls but we found them schooled up in a side channel and that's all they would hit.

Don't forget the 12 gauge. That valley is grizzle bear shambala.
Actions speak louder than words.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »

...thanx  for info...yea an ocean outing is probably not in the cards.....going to be staying in town and doing maybe 10 hr days at the hatchery(10 day stay).....and won't have my own wheels...maybe borrow or get a ride or walk....looking to fish the river right close to town(if I get a chance)...thanks fo the reminder on the bears Sterling...hopefully they're still napping!
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

...thanx  for info...yea an ocean outing is probably not in the cards.....going to be staying in town and doing maybe 10 hr days at the hatchery(10 day stay).....and won't have my own wheels...maybe borrow or get a ride or walk....looking to fish the river right close to town(if I get a chance)...thanks fo the reminder on the bears Sterling...hopefully they're still napping!
River is walking distance from the hatch, if you are staying Downtown just remember most of the river down there is NUXALK traditional fishing grounds so it is closed to any other fishing. If your in Hagensborg then everything around there is fine. The cutthroat will be winding down around that time and mostly sea run dollies will be in the river, a spinner about a nail size (silver) works best on a light rod. I find the first fish comes in just a few cast but the pools get spooked real easy so sometimes you gotta give it a rest for a bit to get anymore bites. Would not worry about grizz in april there is a few early birds but they will just be waking up. But do bring your spray anywhere you go and a knife its also mega cougar country. One was killed not long ago just by the hatchery.
[

dnibbles

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:37:10 AM »

John at the hatchery can give you some tips on where to try.