Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would you fish it?  (Read 12187 times)

tburns

Would you fish it?
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »

Thought it'd be cool to start a thread where we post our recent ties for feedback and inspiration.  I'll start it off with a big pink sucker I tied a few weeks back. I started tying this year so any and all feedback is appreciated

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Would you fish it?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »

Nice. A little dubbing around the bead chain eyes might give it a more finished look.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:54:05 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »

Thought it'd be cool to start a thread where we post our recent ties for feedback and inspiration.  I'll start it off with a big pink sucker I tied a few weeks back. I started tying this year so any and all feedback is appreciated

I will fish it, and I will fish it with confidence.
Never mind about the dubbin for a "more finished look". Less is more and in time you will learn to keep the head small and neat.
This will kill as it is.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 07:19:02 AM »

Bigsnag is right, the fish won't care but a little dubbing can make it look nice in a photo or on display! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »

Yep - looks like a keeper.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »

great looking fly plain and simple. I would fish that proudly as well.

If you want a more "finished look" try to actually "crowd" the eyes a little more. I do most of my fly without the eyes tied in leaving enough room to put them but still have them pretty tight to the materials that are there, then add in your final feather collar which will get it very tight into the eyes OR you can spin some dubbing and wrap the eyes and brush the dubbing out a bit if you want the eyes to create more of a "face" on your fly

Here is a few of what I tied over the season :-

These are tied with varying weight whether on shank or tube
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ajransom

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »

Never thought to tie in the eyes AFTER the fly is done... Totally makes sense though - ive always had the problem of an unnatural gap behind the bumbell eyes. Definitely going to try this!

tburns

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »

great looking fly plain and simple. I would fish that proudly as well.

If you want a more "finished look" try to actually "crowd" the eyes a little more. I do most of my fly without the eyes tied in leaving enough room to put them but still have them pretty tight to the materials that are there, then add in your final feather collar which will get it very tight into the eyes OR you can spin some dubbing and wrap the eyes and brush the dubbing out a bit if you want the eyes to create more of a "face" on your fly

These are tied with varying weight whether on shank or tube

I really like that black and orange one fly...  Was on the vedder yesterday and saw that colour combo sitting beside my foot in the water.

Good call with the eyes.  i'll try tying them in post my other materials

Thanks for the feedback everyone.   :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »

I always tie the eyes in first. That's the standard advice and I think it allows the fly to laid out correctly. Some patterns such as Clousers you have to. When I tie intruder style patterns I tie the loop for the hook first from the back forward to the eye and then pull the loop material back either side of the shank and tie back. That provides some flat space to help seat the eyes. Then I tie the eyes in making sure they are snug and won't rock or swivel. Then I apply super glue to the whole shank and proceed to tie the balance of the fly.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »

I used to tie the eyes in first as well however I found they were in the way of me stroking back feathers and such and once in awhile I would either end up with the gap or end up crowding the eyes too much. My trailer material I tie along the top of the shank and then put it through the shank eye and along the bottom, no need to glue it all with that many thread wraps holding it together.

Doing the trailer material the way you described I have actually had the entire fly pulled off the shank. Big fish that got through into the run below me, I tried to turn it and ended up with this in return :-(
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »

I really like that black and orange one fly...  Was on the vedder yesterday and saw that colour combo sitting beside my foot in the water.

Good call with the eyes.  i'll try tying them in post my other materials

Thanks for the feedback everyone.   :D

Thank you. The head should look fuller but the materials are all wet and stroked down when I took the photo. It's a pretty simple pattern actually, hardest part of it is spinning the Amherst
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »

I've been using streamer shanks for intruders and there's no room in the eyes to pass the loops through. I've never had a hook pull out. I've had the hook bend open on snags so I am sure it's more than up to any fish. Glue or not glue it's up the tyer. Since I am tying the eyes/dumbells to a thin round shank, I glue.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »

These 7 plus the olive one from earlier and you have pretty much covered most water conditions.............but I am sure you will have other ideas.
Great work and most of all thanks for sharing.
It ain't the roe bro'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 01:18:48 AM »

I've been using streamer shanks for intruders and there's no room in the eyes to pass the loops through. I've never had a hook pull out. I've had the hook bend open on snags so I am sure it's more than up to any fish. Glue or not glue it's up the tyer. Since I am tying the eyes/dumbells to a thin round shank, I glue.

I agree 100% with this statement. On the off chance I tie on a round shank I also glue, I'll also make sure my trailer material helps to create a flatter area for them to rest against to prevent any rotation. If im going to use cut back hooks then I use the Mustad salmon hooks with the turned back eye

I actually tie a lot on hair pins creating my own shanks. I really like using them because I can get the perfect length shank for whatever I'm tying

Here is a tiny video I put together last time I was out. Ignore the couple casts at the beginning, the part you'll like is the fly swimming in the last half. It's the pink/purple rabbit and rubber fly I posted here earlier
https://vimeo.com/121574846
Check out our new blog