Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would you fish it?  (Read 12205 times)

tburns

Re: Would you fish it?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:44 PM »

Thank you. The head should look fuller but the materials are all wet and stroked down when I took the photo. It's a pretty simple pattern actually, hardest part of it is spinning the Amherst

I try tying in amherst by the feather and it always spins on me...  is the secret to getting it to lie back naturally in that arc spinning it into a dubbing loop?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 01:03:05 AM »

I try tying in amherst by the feather and it always spins on me...  is the secret to getting it to lie back naturally in that arc spinning it into a dubbing loop?

If I'm only tying in 1-5 fibres then I just tie them so the tips arc back inwards. If I want a collar of Amherst then I spin a bunch in a loop and then just wrap it stroking it back with every wrap

I will be putting a video together on using dubbing loops. Ostrich, Rhea and Amherst are the trickiest materials to spin I find and there are ways to make it easier. If your on FB go like my page Fun On The Fly where my buddy and I share many things. I have done a couple tying videos and have more coming  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »

Time for me to add a few.

Chum fry are starting to move so cutthroat, bulls and steelhead will be moving to them:

Here's a couple:

A green one that got me 2 steelhead yesterday:

A gold one sometimes works when a brighter pattern won't

Two Steelhead:

One wild buck

One hatchery doe

Both were dynamite on a rod rated as #5 (SH) but I throw a line more like a #7 with it. The wild fish jumped 5 or 6 times in quick sequence. Leader tippet was 3x fluorocarbon.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »

Here's another pattern that's been catching me lots of cutties, some bulls and the odd coho and steelhead. I use this one on the Fraser and Vedder in winter:

That fly has been fished!

hook: #8
eyes: extra small or small dumbells with painted eyes
body: crystal chenille gold or pearl
throat: orange egg yarn
wing: Arctic fox, black over brown over white topped with gold or pearl polar flash
head: egg yarn or wool. Cream underneath, black and brown mixed up top.

some catches:

you can see the fly in the last one's beak!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:44:53 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:37 AM »

those are some damn fine Cutties you've got there !!
Check out our new blog

tburns

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »

If I'm only tying in 1-5 fibres then I just tie them so the tips arc back inwards. If I want a collar of Amherst then I spin a bunch in a loop and then just wrap it stroking it back with every wrap

I will be putting a video together on using dubbing loops. Ostrich, Rhea and Amherst are the trickiest materials to spin I find and there are ways to make it easier. If your on FB go like my page Fun On The Fly where my buddy and I share many things. I have done a couple tying videos and have more coming  ;)

Done!  I try to do that I struggle to make them not rotate such that they are pointing outwards...  I checked out your R&R fly...  very cool and will be copying  ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 01:25:43 AM »

Here's another pattern that's been catching me lots of cutties, some bulls and the odd coho and steelhead. I use this one on the Fraser and Vedder in winter:

thanks for sharing RalphH
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:36:19 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »

Done!  I try to do that I struggle to make them not rotate such that they are pointing outwards...  I checked out your R&R fly...  very cool and will be copying  ;D

If they point outwards don't stress about it, once they hit the current they'll flow back the same as the rest. They may even cause the tinniest bit more action however they never look any different in my sink once it's all wet and swimming
Check out our new blog