Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland April3-12...  (Read 7155 times)

curt j

Lower Mainland April3-12...
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »

Hey folks, as the title suggests I will be driving down to the maple ridge area for a week from north of Edmonton in early April for a week of fishing from my kayak and was hoping someone can give me some pointers / advice/ lakes & rivers that could put me onto some fish. I have family that lives near Alouette lake so I plan on fishing it a few times. I have never caught a cutthroat or kokanee so Kawakaw lake is high on my list. Really hoping the Whistler area lakes are ice free around this time but will keep my fingers crossed. Cultus,Chilliwack,Hayward,Stave lake or river same with the Harrison??? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lower Mainland April3-12...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:02 PM »

Plenty of option during that time for what you want to do. Kawkawa Lake is hit and miss in April. It can be really good, but it can also be just terrible. I don't really recommend it if your fishing days are limited during your visit.

Whistler area lakes should be ice-free by then since it has been pretty mild, but I'd keep following updates and see how the melt is. Alta Lake is a good catch and release lake to hit for both rainbow and cutthroat trout.

Cultus Lake can be good during that time for cutthroat trout, kokanee, resident coho salmon, northern pikeminnow, largescale sucker. Focus on the creek mouths.

Hicks Lake just north of Harrison Hot Springs also has a variety of species. They include stocked catchable Fraser Valley rainbow trout, native rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, kokanee.

Weaver Lake has tons of rainbow trout but they are mostly on the small side.

Jones Lake has cutthroat trout, rainbow trout, kokanee. They are aggressive, good size, but the drive up there can be a bit rough, need a good 4WD for it.

curt j

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »

Thanks, appreciate the info. Cultus has moved up on my list after further research.  Might have to check out Jones as well but can't find as much info. Any info on Whonnock? To early in the year for some crappie?? Would love to take my 4 yr old nephew out for some fish and it's real close by.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »

I can meet up with you and head out to Whonnock or Stave for some trout. Crappie in Whonnock is insane but haven't fished this early for them, but bring nothing more than a 2 wt rod in that case. The fishing from the dock area (for the kids) is usually pretty weak. If you can get out on the water with the little guy, there's always crappie in the weeds and around the floating dock.

Stave should be good by then for cutties and white fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:22:09 PM »

Catchable rainbow trout stockings begin next week in the Lower Mainland and Whonnock should have at least one stocking by then. You should be able to catch crappie during that time too.

Another one to consider is Hatzic Lake where you can put in your kayak, for a variety of spiny ray species.

poper

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »

Mike lake would be good lake to hit at that time,should be realy good in April.

curt j

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »

Thanks guys, hoping as well for info on access to Alta,Green lakes hard to tell on Google earth.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »

There is a boat launch on the east side of Alta Lake. Two parks at either end of the lake. All access points are good for bringing your kayak. The public docks around the lake are also good for fishing and can be surprisingly productive.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/alta_lake.html

andrewscag

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »

I've done as well on alouette as kawkawa for Kokanee. I'd be inclined to spend my time  there fishing as opposed to driving to hope if that's your main reason to go.

fishyfish

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »

What is the earliest you have caught Kokanee in Alouette Andrew?

andrewscag

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 03:36:05 PM »

I don't know that I can give you a date. I usually start fishing it mid April. This year is warmer than usual so I headed over three weeks ago but other than a couple of risers it was pretty quiet.  Still worth it though :-)

curt j

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:04:19 PM »

Ya probably limit any kokanee fishing I do to Alouette a lot closer drive.

Hoping gang troll / willow leaf and wedding band will do the trick.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

I would also reccomend using your kayak to explore the lower reaches of the Alouette River. This time of year, coastal cutthroat activity will be readily visible. Downstream migrating chum fry will be their primary prey. The peak of the chum out-migration is mid to late April so your timing is pretty good.

andrewscag

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »

What is the earliest you have caught Kokanee in Alouette Andrew?

April 4th

curt j

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »

Well as usual BC was not extremely kind to me as far as numbers of fish. I did however manage a few pretty decent catches.
A 20" cutthroat from Alta Lake & a 21.75" bull trout from Cultus Lake