Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camera or vidio  (Read 6709 times)

top fuel

Camera or vidio
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »

wher do I find a camera or recorder like rod used in his crab video and about what do they cost

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Camera or vidio
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »

Go Pro..stores like London Drugs will carry different models.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »

Go Pro is the most well known I would say. You can pick them up at Sportchek, London Drugs, Futureshop, BestBuy and so on. Sony, and Garmin also have released POV cams. A quick google search for POV cameras should come up with more than a few results

VA7DDP

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »

Any Electronic Stores should carry water proof cameras just ensure it is safe for the depth you drop your traps too.

Ebay has some lower quality ones for cheap. I would also check some of the local Scuba Diving shops as they carry them too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:02:07 PM by Rodney »

Dusty Mac

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »

Any electronics shop and mostvsports shops csrry the cameras.  Be sure you get a good mount so you don't lose it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:02:21 PM by Rodney »

fishman1

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

Costco has a good deal on a GoPro 3+ Black Edition.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »

Also. The deeper you go the less light there is =  dark = poor picture.
2 cents.

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »

The GoPro is a great camera option (I have one myself), but if you want a comparable camera with a much better price tag check out the Xiaomi.

See this link on the new camera specs & pricing: http://www.cnet.com/news/xiaomi-launches-yi-action-camera-gopro/

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »

I wouldn't recommend GoPro to anyone, ever again.

The camera's take awesome video and pictures, when they work. I had problems right out of the gate with my hero 3 black edition, and I know many problems carry on to the hero 3+ as well. This is the most common problem, and has even resulted in a class action lawsuit being filed:

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Horton-v.-Woodman-Labs-Inc.-complaint-.pdf

http://gotaclassaction.com/woodman-labs-inc-dba-gopro-named-in-class-action-over-defective-product/

Link to gopro admitting the problems: https://www.facebook.com/gopro/posts/271125813016872

My GoPro started with "eating" memory cards. I had 3 go corrupt for no reason. Eventually the camera would only take 10 second videos and then would turn off. One day I was taking a video and it turned off and never turned on again. I researched it and there are literally 10's of thousands of views on every video on youtube trying to explain how to "fix" the problem...

I got a hold of GoPro, and even though they recognized it as an issue with their camera's, they refused to warranty it and offered 20% off a new one. I went back and forth with multiple managers and eventually got 40% off. They sent me a discount code (2 months after I had first contacted them), which didn't work. Sent an email and they said they were having problems with their discount codes and to call customer service to place an order. I called customer service, and they told me they weren't authorized to do discount codes over the phone. Spent 2 hours on the phone with them, finally placed my order, and was told I'd get a confirmation and a receipt.

This is where is gets SUPER frustrating... No receipt or confirmation came that day. I got a hold of a manager through email the next day (they don't have toll free calling for Canadians by the way), and the manager told me my order had not gone through after 2 hours on the phone! She said she would personally phone me that weekend and place an order for me. Finally order is placed... I thought all was good.

2 days later a camera shows up at my door... $70 shipping fee - they didn't label it as a "warranty" transaction at the border so I got hit with a huge cost at the border... 5 days later another camera shows up, another $70 charge. Checked credit card statements, and only 1 camera showed up on it. Contacted GoPro about it, and they never got back to me. 1 month later, the second camera charge shows up. Tried contacting them for nearly 2 months before filing a fraudulent charge on the credit card and getting the card company to reverse charges. At this point GoPro finally emails me, and tells me it's impossible for me to have another camera, since it's not in their system? A week later, GoPro charges my card AGAIN.

So, it's been since October... I am still fighting with GoPro. They've now charged my card 4 times after the credit card company has reversed charges each time (even though they claim I only have 1 camera, they keep charging me for 2). These back and forth charges have cost me nearly $200 in currency exchange (Canadian dollar dropping) - money I'll never get back. What did they tell me: they'll give me 2 mounts for "my troubles" and to make up for the currency exchange rate. Probably the biggest joke in "customer service" I've ever experienced. I have no idea how this company is still operating and claiming to be "industry lead."

Last slap in the face... My Hero 4 silver edition (I got silver, because it was the one they offered me 40% off on... to replace my black edition - the one I had - they would only give me 20% off) has been having problems already. It's turned off a few times while recording already, and generally requires at least 1 battery pull/day due to freezing (pain in the my friend in the rain). I shouldn't have to pull the battery 1/day on a $400 camera to get it to work properly.

My advice... check out another company, you only need 1080P, 60 fps. The 1440 up to 4K is useless, and most monitors don't display over 1440P anyway.

Hope this saves some people from a nightmare....

Cheers,
Dan

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »

Good information to know Dan

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »

Dan.
Those custums charges can possibly be returned to you if you still have the paper work and explain your story.
Good luck.

It's just a call and explanation and does happen.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »

Dan.
Those custums charges can possibly be returned to you if you still have the paper work and explain your story.
Good luck.

It's just a call and explanation and does happen.

The charges were through Fedex, so do you think that would still apply?
That's super nice to know! Thanks for that... would make me a tiny bit less bitter about this situation.

b8floater

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »

Check out http://www.replayxd.com. Although I don't have one, I've heard great things about these and their build quality.  They don't need a case to be waterproof up to 10ft.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »

The charges were through Fedex, so do you think that would still apply?
That's super nice to know! Thanks for that... would make me a tiny bit less bitter about this situation.

Ack!  Clear the packages yourself!  http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clear-shipment-cbsa-avoid-ups-brokerage-fee/

Fedex, UPS, etc doesn't just charge duty they charge brokerage fees as well.

And as above stated you can probably get your duty back but not the brokerage fee that Fedex charged.