Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chillwack River Drift - March 14 2015  (Read 2400 times)

Speyfitter

Chillwack River Drift - March 14 2015
« on: February 05, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »

I'd like to set up an informal one day group Pontoon drift on Saturday March 14th 2015 on the Chilliwack River from Tamihi Bridge down to Vedder Crossing (alternate launch point lower down - Osbourne Road near Pointa Vista for those who want to avoid the gnarlier rapids between Tamihi and Osbourne). I am going anyways - if no one can make it, I'll be going solo. If you can come out, come on out!

The plan is to meet up at a restaurant (to be announced - depends on who can come - any suggestions - I usually would just go to whitespot but am open to suggestions for something closer, mom and pop, good value, etc.) early that morning in Chilliwack around 7 am for a hearty breakfast, to talk logistics, fishing, etc. in anticipation of the days drift. Then shortly thereafter we will head to the river, drop off vehicles at take out points, launch, and drift/fish!

Between Tamihi and Osbourne/Pointa Vista there are a few Class 3- (minus) to 3 rapids with some technical pocket water to drift through. It's not THAT bad but for a newer drifter it wouldn't be somewhere I would go if you weren't prepared. Water levels might determine this for some - at higher levels it can be a bit more pushy in this section with more prominent holes present. For those who would prefer to avoid this short section you can launch at Osbourne rd and from there down to Vedder crossing there is a bit of class 2 stuff, but it's not too bad. Lots of decent fly water in this section! Lots of water that your pontoon can make easier to access.

If the river is too high for some reason, or there is a torrential downpour (which dampens the social aspect of such an event) we could relocate to perhaps the Harrison (mostly flat water) for a drift for cutts at a worst case scenario, or call it off.

I have picked this day specifically to avoid competing with other events (Tradex - March 6-8, Cast & Blast - April 3-5, MY Speyclave April 11th). I hope this won't interfere with persons who might celebrate Steak & BEEEGE day LOL.

Anyways, please let me know if you think you might be able to make it. If you don't have a boat but want to come see what all the hoopla is about with this drifting stuff, come on out - you can get some real world input and hopefully see more than a few boat set ups, set up for river drifting.

For those who are curious what the section between Tamihi & Osbourne might hold here is a video of a Drift myself & Don did back in Dec 28 2013. The most gnarly stuff is in the video - it calms down more and more as you get towards Osbourne. This is at a lower level of around 1.05-1.10 meters if I recall correctly (Chilliwack above Slesse Creek water levels station) which is on the med-low side for angling and on the low side for kayakers. Not bony but not far away from bony at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJNVIkTN4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nry7Mt9-po
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:27:31 PM by Speyfitter »

Howlongsyourleader

Re: Chillwack River Drift - March 14 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »

I will come on out for that.
Have you seen my float?

Speyfitter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »

Send me an email - Speyfitter@gmail.com

Speyfitter

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »

Fast approaching - so far I have 3 committed and 1 maybe.