Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more reports  (Read 8256 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
No more reports
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »

I really enjoy reading the escapades of others on the different forums and it seams as though nobody ever posts fishing reports any more.

Personally I haven't because I haven't had much to report on.

Not even a Vedder River report? Nothing.

Times are changing,but not for the better in my view.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: No more reports
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:36:35 PM »

I really enjoy reading the escapades of others on the different forums and it seams as though nobody ever posts fishing reports any more.

Funny you posted this as I decided to write one tonight.lol

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »

I knew you would pull through with one eventually Chris.
I allways enjoy your reports and other writings as well.
Maybe ill get off my but and dust off the rod and get out and find something to report on myself too.
Looking forward to yours in the meantime Chris. :)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »

I think it's for a variety of reasons...

I use to do it, but took so much (you now what word goes here) for it, that I didn't want to deal with the FB messages, emails, and threats I received on the river any longer. I still do post the odd report on small U.S. based forums, where the people have no reason to be pissed off, and it's a much smaller community group that actually appreciates the reports for the pictures, story - rather than just trying to troll around the internet for a report on a hot river.

Another main reason I don't really post is the time that goes into it. I'd rather just post some nice pictures, and keep it at that. Even with detailed reports and descriptions, I'd highly doubt even 1 out of 100 people on here would recognize a bunch of the island rivers I fish (you'd have to have fished there multiple times to recognize any of them). That being said - you'd get that one guy who for whatever reason feels the need to post the river name. At that point reporting is a problem. Lots of the small rivers don't need the pressure and the poaching (which has been a HUGE problem this year on the island). I just avoid posting any reports, or even background pics of smaller flows online to avoid the potential name throw and subsequent consequences.

I do agree however... It sucks as I really enjoy reading reports on days when I can't fish or just have a break from uni, etc. As I said, I tend to go to smaller US based forums for that, as the reporting seems to be continuing there - and just the way I like it too, no river names, just a story and some pics!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »

Why post a report? You'll just find one more guy in your spot the next day
The Bigger The Better!

Drewhill

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »

Agreed. I don't work my butt off finding fish to make it easy for somebody else.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »

I will chirp in here, I've been on websites for years,   I beat down the reporters many times trying to protect spots ,,that got me deleted from a few sites 8 years or so ago, I've learned that it's fricken impossible to protect lower mainland waters from hoardes, so I gave up worrying. My own success rates on steelhead have declined every year for last 10 years and I know it's related to pressure, however fighting Internet posters is a losing battle, fisherman are HUGE ego maniacs and want to be known as top rods, especially steelheaders. So I know rods site really relies on visits and members to drive advertising but I gave up many years ago posting and fighting against posts, you won't stop pressure locally and it's the new way of doing business. I fished very very hard today in some sexy sexy water, 2 of us pounded every ounce of hold able water. 5 great spots, not a bite today didn't see a fish but heard of fish taken at the MIDGET RUN

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 11:38:16 PM »

I will chirp in here, I've been on websites for years,   I beat down the reporters many times trying to protect spots ,,that got me deleted from a few sites 8 years or so ago, I've learned that it's fricken impossible to protect lower mainland waters from hoardes, so I gave up worrying. My own success rates on steelhead have declined every year for last 10 years and I know it's related to pressure, however fighting Internet posters is a losing battle, fisherman are HUGE ego maniacs and want to be known as top rods, especially steelheaders. So I know rods site really relies on visits and members to drive advertising but I gave up many years ago posting and fighting against posts, you won't stop pressure locally and it's the new way of doing business. I fished very very hard today in some sexy sexy water, 2 of us pounded every ounce of hold able water. 5 great spots, not a bite today didn't see a fish but heard of fish taken at the MIDGET RUN

Resist the urge to fight FWR! ;D Cammer's day made me feel better about my skunking streak. ;D

Agreed. I don't work my butt off finding fish to make it easy for somebody else.

Re: Fishing reports. I thought we've been through this already? Again, and again! ;D This website doesn't really rely on contributors' fishing reports, contrary to what most want to believe. The discussion forum may make up a good chunk of the traffic, but the rest of the website (articles and other non-forum resource) make up majority of the unique visits. The fishing report section is set up for limited number of users on the forum, either paid or those who have already contributed. You… ah what the heck, was going to type up a speech but don't feel like barking on a wall anymore. :)

Reports and stories are not the same, people need to differentiate them. I can't recall the last time someone posting "2 steelhead were caught at this particular spot on the Vedder River yesterday morning at 8:35am."

The "reports" most contributors often post are stories which tell their mistakes and success.

Want to get stressed out about fishing pressure in the Lower Mainland? Get on Facebook and Instagram. :)

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »

Appreciate the water conditions updates however, not that I don't go out if there's even a chance. Though next time I'll know at what levels  i should wear my PFD.

I've got quite a skunk streak going on too..like Chris I'm going to blame my afternoon outings as well. I'm going to stop reading Fred's reports makes me feel bad about myself..haha.

Appreciate those that write the reports.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 05:14:40 AM »

Good to hear from Cammer again and there are very few if any secert spots on the Chilliwack Vedder any more, well maybe I found one yesterday.I think there may be a fire burning there now as I type this. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:17:25 AM by chris gadsden »

losos

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:54 AM »

Rod made an excellent point . It is not about guys posting GPS coordinates of their fishing holes ,but about telling stories which I myself enjoy immensely.

Pin-nook

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »

I guess it was just me cause I have been waiting for someone to post a Vedder Report so I can start fishing for steelhead ;D.

Joey

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »

I do not want to know your fishing spot. Is the fishing stories I am interested,is like reading the Holy Bible so lets hear your stories

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »

I'll go the Vedder if Rodney catches fish. If he can catch them.....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »

This is how you rate the fishing on the Vedder…

If there are no reports, fishing must be good and nobody wants to talk about it.

If Chris catches one, fishing must be pretty awesome.

If I catch one, fishing is spectacular. Cancel that hot date, call in sick for work, dump kids off at daycare, go to river immediately.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:36:10 PM by Rodney »