Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trout bead flossing  (Read 7229 times)

islanddude

trout bead flossing
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »

The way suggested to use trout beads is with the hook 2 inches away from the bead it's self. Most of the trout that I have seen hooked with trout beads have the hook on the outside of the mouth.
  New form of flossing as far as I am concerned.

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: trout bead flossing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:27:31 PM »

Its not flossing if the fish actively bit the presentation as opposed to having the line dragged through its mouth.

I believe the purpose of the gap between the bead and hook it to prevent deep-hooking a fish you are very likely to release. Completely different scenario though it does result in outside the mouth hookups.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »

Most anglers who are trout beading are fishing catch and release. As many of you know using single eggs and small teeny chunks of roe, results in lots of resident trout and bulls being throat hooked; having the bead or single egg pegged a few inches up allows the hookset to hit the corners or just outside of the mouth. I don't like seeing fish bleeding from the tongue or throat because they engulfed a single.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

Its not flossing if the fish actively bit the presentation as opposed to having the line dragged through its mouth.

I believe the purpose of the gap between the bead and hook it to prevent deep-hooking a fish you are very likely to release. Completely different scenario though it does result in outside the mouth hookups.

x2 not even marginally similar to flossing.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »

As suggested above its for not deep-hooking fish.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »

I don't think its all about the deep hooking thing.... when a fish sucks the bead in the hook sometimes catches the outside of the mouth so by the time they spit the bead the hook is already clinging on or gets slightly attached while they spit it out. its pretty much helping give the fisherman a split second longer to detect the bite. bait gives the fish something to taste so they hold onto it longer.

bald_seagull

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

I don't think its all about the deep hooking thing.... when a fish sucks the bead in the hook sometimes catches the outside of the mouth so by the time they spit the bead the hook is already clinging on or gets slightly attached while they spit it out. its pretty much helping give the fisherman a split second longer to detect the bite. bait gives the fish something to taste so they hold onto it longer.
x2

i was taught that they spit the bead almost instantly as it is hard so the 2-3 inches gives you that extra sec to set the hook

i find fishing beads they rarely slam it and pull the float down as with roe, more the fish just mouthing the bead causing the float to pause for a split second

i dont see how the bead could help you floss as the line would slide down through the fishs mouth and the bead would hit the outside of the mouth before the hook most likely not resulting in a hookup

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »

I agree with the general comments here, I can't see it as a form of flossing.  True flossing involves random chance that the fish swims into the line with it's mouth open. The bead stimulates a strike response. You have tricked a fish into biting which is one of the fundamentals of SPORTfishing in my mind.   Is a pink worm situated above a bead above a naked hook flossing  Nope.

Is a trout bead any different from this trailing hook spoon, which is an excellent method to minimize damage to fish:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36501.0

It does raise the question of fishing with a so called naked hook.  How would this be viewed by a CO's.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »

This has already been debated to death over here .....
http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=50645&hl=trout+beads

sbc hris

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:04 PM »

Trolling trolling trolling... ;D

Pin-nook

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »

All points valid except the flossing part! It all depends on how the fish takes the bead as I have seen steelhead hooked deep in the roof of the mouth with the bead just inside the snout.  Beads can be deadly effective if used properly as General-Sherms can attest, he plucked fish out behind 2 of us and all three of us were literally fishing beside each other fishing the same slots with one person even using roe.

It's popular out East and sure some do use it here for other species(Rainbows, Dollies, Bulls..) but have only seen a very few use them on steelhead. 

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

x2

i find fishing beads they rarely slam it and pull the float down as with roe, more the fish just mouthing the bead causing the float to pause for a split second

I found the exact opposite when fishing bull trout my beads get slammed resulting the float to go down faster than any coho or spring.
Crazy....

Ryanx

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »

Lol. Talking about flossing in January! New record? 
If you see the trout bead guy ripping the hook through the water at 100 miles an hour I'd agree with you... But trying to limit the deep hooking of a fish?..
Funniest thing I've seen, is people giving someone else a hard time for keeping a fish snagged in the back while they're trying to snag a fish in the face!! like there is any differance!
I don't floss and I don't fish beads but comparing them is kind of a stretch!

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 08:38:02 AM »

Plain and simple:
The fish is going for the bead (tricked into biting).
Flossing requires the line to find an open mouth.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »

when beading spread out from Alaska 15 years ago or more the big question was not is it flossing but is it snagging? The intent of pegging the bead a couple of inches above the hook was to hook the fish outside the lips. Some people reported hooking fish near or in the eye or gill plate with beads pegged that way.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.