Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailing Hook Spoon Rigging Method  (Read 80599 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Trailing Hook Spoon Rigging Method
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »

The original pictures in the thread kept getting removed due to facebook changing the links to their photos. I decided to make a blog post instead with photo's uploaded directly to the post, so they should always work.

Here's the blog post. Let me know if it is missing anything, or if you have any questions not already answered in the thread!

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-trailing-hook-method/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:41:04 PM by Every Day »

fishing4salmon

Re: Trailing Hook Spoon Rigging Method
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »

very cool idea!
thank for sharing!! I will try it

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »

Thanks for the detailed instructions and very clear pics for the knots involved.

Hoop71

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »

Thanks for posting Dan!

You are an asset to the fishing community.

Cheers,
Dan

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »

Thanks! great post :)

243Pete

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:22:20 AM »

Thank you for sharing! Going to try this on some spoons for coho on the lower Vedder this week.  :D

BananasQ

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »

Thanks for the share - definitely going to give this a try! BTW, I like your nail polish in the last photo.  ;)

capman

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »

Really interesting method, thanks for sharing. I have bunch of spoons but never been very successful with them. Most likely because not knowing how to cast and retrieve spoons properly but I will start using them with your trailing hook rigging method and try to gain more experiance. Perhaps a dumb question but would you think this method would also work or even help with blades?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »

Really interesting method, thanks for sharing. I have bunch of spoons but never been very successful with them. Most likely because not knowing how to cast and retrieve spoons properly but I will start using them with your trailing hook rigging method and try to gain more experiance. Perhaps a dumb question but would you think this method would also work or even help with blades?

The method would most likely not work with blades. The blades already use a small enough hook, and there (IMO) isn't really a binding point with blades anyway. These will work with spinners (blue fox and the like), however it does get annoying as the line will twist and bunch up at times. It seems to also drop the hook a bit too far back on spinners as well.

Pretty much the only reason I've done this is to combat the massively oversized fish killing hooks that generally come with spoons. It also allows you to change out hooks quickly, and you don't need to buy any specialized open eye hooks. As said in the article as well, all you need is a 100 yard spool of dacron (7 bucks), and a bunch of octopus or sickle hooks. With the hooks I use and the braid, I can rig 100 spoons up for ~$18.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »

I have a question.I tied 3 the first turned out perfectly but the 2nd and 3rd had a small loop in the knot.Does this ever happen to you is there something im doing wrong?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »

I've had it happen too.
It doesn't ruin the integrity of the knot, it just sometimes is hard to pass the knot through the spoon if this occurs.

Try fixing it by making sure you have both tag ends together, and pull evenly. Also make sure you are pulling on both the hook AND the tag ends at the same strength/pace.

It helps if you pull it tight quite quickly and with a lot of force (which is difficult to do if you're trying to get a specific length).

Cheers,
Dan

capman

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 12:18:01 PM »

Sounds great. Thanks again!

lovethewater

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »

Hi,
Thats a really cool setup.  Did I read somewhere before where you said (or someone said) that they like to use a lighter lb test on the trailer setup so if the spoon gets shagged up just the trailer hook will break and you wont lose your spoon?  I see there you are using 30lb - is there a reason for the heavy line?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »

I have used a similar knot/approach in the past (yours is admitedly much cleaner the ones I have used).  My knots tended to be bigger so when needed I have used a drill to enlarge the hole, or put in a split ring and tied the knot to the split ring, then made the lenth of braid (or dacron) a bit shorter so the hook isn't trailing too far behind.

GREAT WRITE UP!

kindalonismo

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

Thanks for sharing Dan! Look forward to giving it a shot