Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014/15 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 52461 times)

Drewhill

Or maybe people were just getting spoiled early season with the high water pushes and this is a better representation of what steelhead fishing is all about. Slow is pretty much normal.

firebird

Sounds like it's really slow. I wouldn't bother going out there tomorrow  ;)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough

Is it just me or the fish are playing hide and go seek? I was out there a week ago and all the guys I talked to said they haven't really seen anything since high water...I check Freds derby info and nothing has be weighed in since the 17th(Or it just hasn't been posted online?). Anyone hear of any fish being brought in.

Hey buddy, is steelhead fishing .  May be you should change to another hobby :D :D

Rieber

• Old Timer

True - it's Steeheading and the people that are catching know its slow so they aren't giving up any clues that they are, or where they are still catching.

Also its the perfect time to spey fish. Less fishermen means more available water without the risk of some gear head ripping up a $100 worth of spey line. The water is beautiful - go enjoy it.

Sunday will offer even more space on the river as the meat hunters will move to Kawkawa for some meaty Kokanee action. Me personally, I'm going to save the $20 I would spend on fuel out to Kawkawa and will go buy some nice steaks for the bbq. I'll drive the 5 minutes out to Mill Lake and enjoy the C&R trout on chironomids.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:59:28 PM by Rieber »

bj23

Hey buddy, is steelhead fishing .  May be you should change to another hobby :D :D

Nice
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:36:54 PM by bj23 »

nevertoolate

Fished from dawn to dusk.  Lower and Upper.  Saw one guy carrying a fish and one catching a wild.  Everyone I talked to was skunked like me.   Beautiful day.  Beautiful day.  Tired of telling my wife that story every day when I come home.   Ah well.  Probably go out again next week nevertheless. 

creeper778

well three day fishing vaca for me vedder the destination what a nice river seen 2 wild bc steel caught and released. I got skunked i think I'm not getting deep enough plus would the float color play a role in clear low water ???. Anyways Fished upper river only borden creek down to slesse rd and back up. I couldn't stop with just one trip it had to be three the pursuit of BC steel is and addiction which will only grow over time.

jim

Glad to hear you like it. Good to see some caught also.
The river may be clear but it is not low in my opinion.
If you don't have small clear floats, try smaller foam floats in gray or white.
If and when the river gets low, floats can be useless in some spots. (drop offs and confluences)
Morning and evening work better as the season progresses.
A friend and myself hooked a few fish this morning in the clear upper river, but nothing after 10am.

wonder

Sunday will offer even more space on the river as the meat hunters will move to Kawkawa for some meaty Kokanee action.

mmmm sewage pipe kokanee  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water remains low and clear but did hook one and lost it after playing it for 3 minutes, not big, maybe 8 pounds, saw a bigger one being packed out. Low fishing pressure.

Floater

• Old Timer

After the rain it still remains low and clear lets hope the sky will open up this weekend!
[

dave c

After  a two week hiatus I headed to the. Chilliwack today. Water was crystal clear. I was hoping the overnight rain would color up the water a bit but it was not to be. On with the cleardrift floats and fluorocarbon leaders.  My last chance to bag the Wally Hall winner.  Started lower and was quickly into a beauty wild doe about 10lbs. After a nice fight I gently sent her on her way. Moved to mid river. After about an hour the float buried and a lovely wild buck was brought to hand. About 12 lbs. Moved down river again. Came to a run where a couple guys were tossing flies. I went to the head of the run. The guys were moving slowly but they WERE moving. Eventually they moved far enough downstream that I was finally  on the piece of water I was eyeing up. Float buries. I can tell right away its a small fish. A nice bull trout comes to hand. In the next half hour two more bull trout. Five fish to hand no keepers all in all an awesome day. Wally Hall tourney winner maybe next year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water was getting murky and on the rise this morning around 8 AM. After finding fish most mornings last week nothing for an hour of fishing time this morning.

SilverSlayer

Fished the lower river on Sat early morning, then went way up and landed a 8# wild hen, gorgeous fish.  My phone went dead so no pic, but a fellow angler ( Dave) snapped a few.  Dave if you are out there I would like to get in touch with you for the photos.

Have fun out there.