Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheeky reels  (Read 9894 times)

Daguru

Cheeky reels
« on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »

Hi all, has anyone owned or used a cheeky reel? I like the looks of them l, however I'm a little hesitant in spending 400$ on a Made in china reel. I can't seem to find any reviews out on them other than a few paid reviews that doesn't really help. Thanks!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Cheeky reels
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »

I have the Ambush.

Here's my review on it http://vimeo.com/76338496

I love it, one of my favs.

Daguru

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »

Nice. Any flaws to the reel? Thanks

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »

Nice. Any flaws to the reel? Thanks

No, it functions very well. The sealed barings are great. It's nice to look at, really have no issues at this point and I've had it almost a year and a half,

Daguru

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »

Cool thanks

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »

Seems like a lot of $$$ for an unknown brand. That kind of cash will buy some pretty sweet reels! Would take a hardy or ross over something like that.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »

Lamson has some reels in that price range, as does Bauer, Islander Sage and more I am sure. Personally I find 99+% of fly tackle 'reviews' are free advertising and marketing. This is not to say the reel isn't like the review reports but I'd take it with a grain of salt and look at some of the alternatives and also find out more about who makes "Cheeky" and how they match up against proven alternatives. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:10:57 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »

Lamson has some reels in that price range, as does Bauer, Islander Sage and more I am sure. Personally I find 99+% of fly tackle 'reviews' are free advertising and marketing. This is not to say the reel isn't like the review reports but I'd take it with a grain of salt and look at some of the alternatives and also find out more about who makes "Cheeky" and how they match up against proven alternatives.

Well Ralph, thanks for your two cents as usual. I no longer have any connection to the review I did, nor do I have anything to gain by giving my opinion. It remains the same, quality reel. Just because you feel that way, doesn't mean there is integrity in the words.

Cheeky is going for non traditional fly fishermen. Trying to gain market share with younger crown who are more in tune to looks. They've got flashy colour combos, nice lines, and big arbours which seem to be popular these days.

Ralph is right do some comparisons if you wish. You'll find out more info and be a better educated person in the process.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »

Well Ralph, thanks for your two cents as usual. I no longer have any connection to the review I did, nor do I have anything to gain by giving my opinion. It remains the same, quality reel. Just because you feel that way, doesn't mean there is integrity in the words.

I think you meant to say "... doesn't mean there isn't integrity in the words."

If you wrote the review and got a free reel out of the deal you would still have a pretty strong connection. Feel free to correct any mis-perception of that transaction on my part. And no I didn't mean to question the integrity or lack there of in the review and your perceptions of the quality of the product. Lots of good high $ stuff is made in the far east - I believe all the Hardy reels are made in South Korea and China for example. Made in the USA doesn't mean much of anything other than a good chance of parts availability and customer service I'd say. How good something is made is more about who is behind it than country of origin.

My comments about reviews were generalized and nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:52:45 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

I think you meant to say "... doesn't mean there isn't integrity in the words."

If you wrote the review and got a free reel out of the deal you would still have a pretty strong connection. Feel free to correct any mis-perception of that transaction on my part. And no I didn't mean to question the integrity or lack there of in the review and your perceptions of the quality of the product. Lots of good high $ stuff is made in the far east - I believe all the Hardy reels are made in South Korea and China for example. Made in the USA doesn't mean much of anything other than a good chance of parts availability and customer service I'd say. How good something is made is more about who is behind it than country of origin.

My comments about reviews were generalized and nothing more.

Yes that is what I meant. I just want the person who asked the question get a good honest answer. It's a great product. I've used it and caught a ton of fish on it. Got a ton of work in last years pink run. Still going strong and I'm hard on my gear.

Daguru

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:17:59 AM »

Got a cheekey mojo for Christmas and just got to use it. So far not impressed. The drag adjustment keeps changing and won't stay in place which is fairly annoying.

ajransom

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:02:12 AM »

Got a cheekey mojo for Christmas and just got to use it. So far not impressed. The drag adjustment keeps changing and won't stay in place which is fairly annoying.

That's pretty bad news for a reel that costs $380!!! Like i mentioned before, lots of VERY solid reels on the market for the price! Personally I wouldn't spend half that on a reel for a single hand rod.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »

Interesting I have not found that issue with my Ambush, email them I am sure you'll have a new on mailed out ASAP.

charles

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »

Hi all, has anyone owned or used a cheeky reel? I like the looks of them l, however I'm a little hesitant in spending 400$ on a Made in china reel. I can't seem to find any reviews out on them other than a few paid reviews that doesn't really help. Thanks!

I am very happy with my Nautilus reel.  I have a NV 6/7 and a FWX 8.  The NV 6/7 is actually fits like a FWX 8 in line wise.  I use for coho and chum and very happy with them.  The FWX has less drag power than the NV but it has no problem for the type of fishing I do.

I found with all the fly reels that I tried, there is always some defective one; especially reels from Asia.  Perhaps just not as good quality control.

here are some examples...
Allen Kraken size 3 - I received 2 replacement, all have some kind of defects.
The first one - drag - there is no drag, you can crank it as much as you can but it is barely anything...
The second one - spool doesn't fit the frame.  Apparently, they made two designs of the same reel frame (be careful when you are shopping for an extra spool)
The third one - drag slip...
They insist on sending me another one, but I was tried of keep waiting for it so I gave up on them.  Customer service is good though.

Sage 4280 - Clicker broke after the first time use...  Sage sent me a new one providing I sent the one time used one back which I did.

Loop evotech 7-9 - drag stuck after 1 season...

I have fished nautilus and ross, and I did not have a single problem with them.  And I do take very good care of my fishing equipment, clean each outing and take apart and lure them often.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »

email them I am sure you'll have a new on mailed out ASAP.

I hope that works for you! I checked out their website and they are based near Boston which should make things easier than if they were in Shanghai!