Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wally Hall Jr steelhead derby on the Chilliwack-Vedder  (Read 29925 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Wally Hall Jr steelhead derby on the Chilliwack-Vedder
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »

Do you really think steelheaders would cheat ;D  Good point Chris, best to have entered beforehand to ensure no possible problems.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:14 AM »

I have been asked a few times how the administration fee charged by the FVWC works and why it is necessary ... here is their response

"We apply a charitable/not for profit industry-average fee of 15% from grants and revenue towards the administration of the FVWC to work towards our mandate of healthy watersheds and healthy communities. This administration fee enables our organization to cover necessary costs such as bookkeeping, appropriate insurance coverage, banking, required permits, filing appropriate yearly permit reports and charity returns to the CRA and general overhead costs. These are required for the FVWC to maintain its’ charitable status, stay operational and continue to maintain its effectiveness and long-term ability to support Fraser Valley communities."

Silex-user

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »

I'm in. Heck I might even catch a steelie this winter...either way time on the CV is awesome fish or not!!

X2 ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/fredscustomtackle/posts/730571917032109
The first fish weighed in yesterday earned the angler, Dan Ryan, $50 ... he promptly donated that money back to the conservation side of this derby.  Well done Dan :D

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »

I too will be donating any cash prize i win back to the derby this year, even IF  I get the 1000 bucks. It just feels like the right thing to do.
The river provides me with all my fun when needed.. it is the least that I can do.

Props to Dan for hopefully starting a trend.
Tight lines to all

Ambassador

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »

The first fish weighed in yesterday earned the angler, Dan Ryan, $50 ... he promptly donated that money back to the conservation side of this derby.  Well done Dan :D
The derby has been on for 16 days and the first fish was weighed in yesterday?!?
What am I missing? Should there even be a derby if there are so few fish being caught (are there many fish in the system this year)? I realize not everyone steelheading will be in the derby, but this seems odd.

Have yet to catch my first Steelhead on the Vedder, but am hoping to change that next week. Not overly optimistic, but will be nice to stalk the river for a while and get some much needed fresh air.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

dobrolub

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »

The river was not fishable for the most of those 16 days.

Ambassador

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »

The river was not fishable for the most of those 16 days.
Ah that makes sense. Crazy weather lately. A week left on my project so getting outside to see for myself has been a bit of a challenge.
Roderick Haig-Brown

Pin-nook

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »

Ah that makes sense. Crazy weather lately. A week left on my project so getting outside to see for myself has been a bit of a challenge.

I was just gonna say, "Are you serious??" Practically every river in the LML was blown out for weeks, where have you been?? Kudos to the guys that actually ventured out and caught a couple cause I'd be pretty desperate to fish the Vedder at the moment even if it's even slightly fishable!

Ambassador

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »

I was just gonna say, "Are you serious??" Practically every river in the LML was blown out for weeks, where have you been?? Kudos to the guys that actually ventured out and caught a couple cause I'd be pretty desperate to fish the Vedder at the moment even if it's even slightly fishable!

I was getting a bit anxious to get out as I picked up a new-to-me 3106 close to a month ago that I have not had the chance to get wet yet. Thanks for reminding me that I didn't miss much!
Looking forward to getting out next week if it gets a bit clearer/safer. Definitely going to enter the derby if only to support the cause.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Drewhill

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »

The derby has been on for 16 days and the first fish was weighed in yesterday?!?
What am I missing? Should there even be a derby if there are so few fish being caught (are there many fish in the system this year)? I realize not everyone steelheading will be in the derby, but this seems odd.

Have yet to catch my first Steelhead on the Vedder, but am hoping to change that next week. Not overly optimistic, but will be nice to stalk the river for a while and get some much needed fresh air.

The odds of catching a fish in December is pretty low even in the best conditions. We're still months away from peak season.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »

peak season is jan. we are not months away
Tight lines to all

Drewhill

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »

peak season is jan. we are not months away

I'd disagree. Mid to late February is peak.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:18 AM »

Been out twice since I have entered the derby, no chances yet but feel good about today as have found some nice spots after the high water event. Coffee first though. ;D ;D