Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wally Hall Jr steelhead derby on the Chilliwack-Vedder  (Read 30144 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Wally Hall Jr steelhead derby on the Chilliwack-Vedder
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »

no fish bigger has been weighed in. that is why there isn't an update.

I think Pin-nook is talking about the top 3 standings at http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/201415-Wally-Hall-Jr-Memorial-Steelhead-Derby_ep_118.html

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »

ah, yes the updates need to be worked on.
Tight lines to all

nevertoolate

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 07:39:49 PM »

I spent 7 hrs on the river today.  Beautiful.  Time went fast.  But I decided to leave the fish for the other guys.   Hope they appreciate it.

dave c

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2015, 01:37:37 AM »

Has the Derby wrap-up date been set.  As my days off are mid week I will have to book a day off if its on a weekend. Thanks

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »

No, the final wrap up date has not been set.  Most likely late March, early April as the derby ends March 15, but there will be much more on this event as we get closer to the finish. 
If you have not entered this derby, consider doing so ... go back to the start of this post to see why :D

dave c

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »

No, the final wrap up date has not been set.  Most likely late March, early April as the derby ends March 15, but there will be much more on this event as we get closer to the finish. 
If you have not entered this derby, consider doing so ... go back to the start of this post to see why :D
I am entered for the second year now and finally got my first hatchery during tournament. Just was curious about the wrap-up because my work is quite anal about booking days off.  They require lots of notice.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »

Here's a bit of an update ... as you know the derby ends on March 15th and the wrap up ceremony, prizes, and lunch is on March 22nd, at the Royal Canadian Legion Hall in Vedder Crossing, starting at 10 am.  We anticipate a speaker from the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition (FVWC) to explain how our entry fee money will be spent on salmonid work on the C-V, plus tell of ongoing local projects administered by the FVWC.
There may be further updates and I hope to meet a lot of you there!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »

I see the leader board has not been updated.

spoiler

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »

just noticed the leader board has been updated but I thought Jason Bergner's fish was second place?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:40 PM »

just noticed the leader board has been updated but I thought Jason Bergner's fish was second place?
The 3 "J"'s

Joe Pegura 17.853lb

Jeremy Johnson 17.436lbs

Jason Burgener 17.435lbs

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »

Look how close those numbers are ,wow!!
Met this afternoon with Fred, Wally and Natashia (FVWC); I'm projecting this Sunday will be a great day, with huge opportunities to make this event a substantial fund raising event for future Chilliwack-Vedder projects.  So derby entrants, come for the prizes, the great lunch, and learn how your entry fee will be spent.

I understand both Chris and Rod will be attending; autographs will be offered with all proceeds to the cause ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »

Autographs! :o

I'll be there with the cameras. :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »

It was a great turn out for the wind up, prize giving ceremony today for the 15th annual Wally Hall Jr. Memorial Steelhead Derby.   Joe the Fisherman, Joe Pegura, took home $1000 for his first place fish, and promised to spend a bit of that cash for treats for his dog, Tatum (anyone who knows Joe knows Tatum :D).  Natashia Cox from the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition gave a wonderful presentation of how the over $10K collected from this event will be leveraged into more money, through partnerships and corporate sponsors for future salmonid work on the C-V, and Fred Helmer, as usual, came through with awesome door prizes … I think everyone attending received not only a good lunch, mixed in with great comradery, but left with merchandise worth well over their $20 entry fee.

Kudos to Wally Hall Sr, and Fred Helmer Jr, for keeping this event going and growing!  Chris was there taking pictures; he may post some up later. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »

Here is my report and Rodney will post some pictures I took later.

This morning was a great get together, a time of fellowship with many fellow anglers and I even won a nice fishing vest, now no one will know me. ;D

Here is a brief recap.

There was 471 entries this year. 420 fish entered, 325 does, 95 bucks, 228 more fish than last year.

Thanks to Wally Hall and family for putting the derby on for the last 15 years in memory of their son Wally Hall Junior.
Thanks to Fred Helmer for all the prizes he donated and also to the Vedder Canadian Legion for hosting the awards day. All derby anglers that attended took home a prize with 6 anglers that were in attendance and entered a fish each won $100 cash.

A total of $10,500 was presented by the Hall family to Natashia Cox from the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition for continuing restoration work on the Chilliwack Vedder River that will benefit our precious steelhead as well as 5 other species salmon and other fish in the watershed.

The winners, talk about a close finish.

Joe Pegura 17.853 lb buck caught on February 14. $1,000 cash and Wally Hall Jr. perpetual trophy.

Jeremy Johnsen 17.436 lb buck, February 14. Custom built rod donated by Fred Helmer and David Barnes.

Jason Burgener 17.435 lb buck, January 30. Milner reel donated by Fred Helmer.

Fish Tails:
First fish in the derby was caught by Dan Ryan on December 15.

Jesse Green had the first fish over 17 pounds.

Last year's derby saw 474 entered who brought 192 fish to the scales.

Past derby winners.

2000- 2001 CEJ Mussell, 18.773

2002 Tom "Toothpick" Milburn, 20.56, the largest caught in the derby.

2003 Steve Roseboom, 19.00

2004 Wes Peters, 17.3

2005 Ed Tapp - Cowan 18.11

2006 Matt Pace, 18.32

2007 Rick Vella, 16.99

2008 Peter Leibing, 18.31

2009 Wayne Ridley, 19.43

2010 Peter MacPherson, 18.40

2011 Carl Eicher, 17.77

2012 repeat winner, Peter MacPherson, 19.085

2013 Trevor Henderson, 18.018

2014 Willie Holmes 18.85

The least number of fish entered was 2003 - 2004 as 167 entries brought in only 112 fish.

This year was the most steelhead entered since the derby started.