Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vest Suggestions  (Read 10293 times)

G-Ratt

Vest Suggestions
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »

Hey guys, I've been putting off getting a decent fishing vest for a long time now. I'm getting tired of bringing my little backpack, and it's getting pretty gross now after hours of sitting in the rain.

I'm looking for something that can hold my gear (spoons,spinners, wool, etc.) as well as maybe a snack and a water bottle or two.

I've never worn a vest, but I know many on the forum do, so I was looking for your suggestions, I don't want to break the bank, but up to $100 would be cool with me.

I was checking this one out, anybody have any experience with it?

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/gear-up-for-fly-fishing/FSH000A-OVE

Humpy

Re: Vest Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »

I have a Pioneer vest, it has served me well.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »

I want that vest, but a one year old and one on the way ... I can't spend $100 on something I don't absolutely need.

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

Fly tech- I have been using a Bushline vest I got at the Armyand Navy for about $55. It doesn't carry fish, but the mesh and minimalist design works for me.

Stewie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »

I recommend the "vedder" vest. I bought it at Searun fly and tackle, I think I paid 60 or 70 bucks for it. It easily carts all my gear and holds fish in the back. Highly recommend.

jacked55

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 10:03:40 PM »

Simms Headwaters vest was my recent purchase and i love it. Has tons of pockets for gear and lightweight mesh material drains water away nicely when it gets wet. $100 at Cabelas.

mzmann

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »

Wishin I was fishin!! :)

dave c

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 12:48:04 AM »

I recommend the "vedder" vest. I bought it at Searun fly and tackle, I think I paid 60 or 70 bucks for it. It easily carts all my gear and holds fish in the back. Highly recommend.
X2

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 07:01:26 AM »

Fly tech- I have been using a Bushline vest I got at the Armyand Navy for about $55. It doesn't carry fish, but the mesh and minimalist design works for me.

Thanks kenobi.

:) I'll look in to it.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »

Lol mzmann.

Fishpond are great but I think the baseline price is above the budget here...

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »

Is this vest going to be used for gear fishing or fly fishing?  For gear fishing, I've got a couple of Trophy XL vests.  They are similar in design to the old steelheader vest, and the current Vedder vest.  I like them.  They're light, and can pack lots of gear.  The pockets, though not perfect, do fit my things and I'm now accustomed to finding everything I need in a pinch.  I also really like the built-in "back-pouch" that lets you carry your catch.  That's the classic steelheader vest I know!!!

As for fly vests, I have a Simms, Patagonia, and Columbia vest.  The Patagonia vest is for my trout gear and it is a very good vest.  My Simms is for my salmon/steelhead fly gear and I've had it for many years and it's also a great vest.  My Columbia vest is a back-up, and I used to use it for gear fishing, but fly vests can't compete with the "steelheader" design of the classic gear vests for gear fishing.

So - I'd suggest different vests for fly vs. gear.

Pin-nook

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »

A backpack??  I never understood that one, you want to be mobile and not have to lay things out like you're having a picnic. 

It all depends on what you need to bring to fish.  I have a couple typical BC Style fishing vests(Vedder, Pioneer, Fernhill, Trophy, Totem) for when I may retain a fish because it has the pouch in the back but if I'm moving around covering water like during steelhead season, I use a waist pack or my satchel.  Something that carries all the tackle I need for the outing but in storage that is easily accessible without having to put anything down.

wonder

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »

Summer I use a waist pack salmon/steelhead same as flyfishin magician the trophy vest is great carries everything including a bag of roe and my fish. Think it was like 70$ at freds

mzmann

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »

Lol mzmann.

Fishpond are great but I think the baseline price is above the budget here...

Yes, their top of the line are a little pricey but xmas is coming, meaning santa just might bring it for ya lol!! ;)
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »

Wear a Waistpack for Steelheading and summer fishing, during salmon season my go to Trophy XL vest shakes off the dust. Lots of room and if you lose a bet with the old man you can carry his 4 cohos as well as your own in the back pocket ;D