Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly reel  (Read 22088 times)

Alomar

Fly reel
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »

Looking to get a larger reel for my 8 weight dragonfly rod to fish pinks in the ocean next year, don't want to spend a lot, any suggestions? Thanx

A Frayed Knot

Re: Fly reel
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »

Sage 1880 Fly Fishing Reel - 7-9wt its about $155 and a pretty nice reel.
You may even find it cheaper online like craiglist, its an all water reel so you don't have to worry.

You can find stuff here:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sage-1880-fly-fishing-reel-7-9wt~p~6450a/?showlocalization=True

Here is a good list of pro's and cons to some reels as well.
http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/2013-8-weight-wt-challenge-fly-reel-review
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »

For machined aluminum with decent drag:

$130
Pflueger Trion 1990 - it is a mid arbor width so you need the 1990 size for an 8wt floating line.
http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/Pflueger%C2%AE-Trion%C2%AE-Fly-Reel/1280302,default,pd.html

$210 (I think they have a one time coupon if you sign up for their newsletter).
Allen Kraken 3. Sealed drag is nice for saltwater fishing
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/kraken-reel-series/

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

Orvis Clearwater.   Reel is $79 and rated well.
http://m.orvis.com/p/clearwater-large-arbor-reel/4y55

If you wanted something a bit more or could find one the sage 1880's mentioned above are wicked.  However they are discontinued and gettinf harder to find.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »

Oh another avenue that might be worth investigating

http://waterworks-lamson.com/products/lamson-liquid-3-pack/

$160 gets you a 8/9 reel with two extra spools. Enough for three lines

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »

I have owned a Sage 1880 reel and hated it. The drag range is pathetic, either it was too tight or basically off plus it also slipped or was jerky.

If you want to use it in the saltwater make sure the reel is anodized so it can take the abuse of salt usage.

Lamson makes cheaper fully machined and anodized reels. I believe the Pflueger Trion/President are as well.

I have owned both Lamson and Pflueger reels and they were both great but I prefer old school click/pawl so I sold them. My dad has been fishing a President for a few years now without issues OR maintenance !!!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Alomar

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »

Thanx for the help! Will a new bigger reel work no problem with my 20 year old fly rod?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »

If it fits I do not think it will be an issue. 

And Hook that's the first bad experience I have heard in regards to the 1880's yet.  Mine has a nice adjustment range on it and is nice and smooth.

Perhaps you got a lemon?  I know there will evidently be some, but thats the first one I've heard.

Kye-ronomid

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »

I was in the exact same boat last week. 8 weight dragon fly rod with no reel. Ended up going with a Lamson Konic, all in all about 175 brand new but I'm more than happy. Machined aluminum, good warranty, and the drag is enough to hold out on a nice big steelie.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »

If it fits I do not think it will be an issue. 

And Hook that's the first bad experience I have heard in regards to the 1880's yet.  Mine has a nice adjustment range on it and is nice and smooth.

Perhaps you got a lemon?  I know there will evidently be some, but thats the first one I've heard.

I bought mine when they had first came out so maybe they have fixed the issues now. My dad's 1880 had the same issues however he sent it back for a broken reel foot (he dropped it) and I agree the replacement one seems better however he hasn't used it much.

If I have major issues with something I will usually shy away from buying from that place again. I have not bought another Sage reel since until early this spring when I grabbed a 3800CF reel for my 4wt trout rod but I could care less about having any drag on a trout reel when its really just there to hold the line, first trip with it the handle broke off while reeling in a fish. They sent me a new spool within a week so at least the customer service was awesome but while I'll keep this reel seeing as its performed well since I won't however be buying another Sage reel in the future

I think the major issues with their lower end reels is the composite material. It is supposed to be virtually unbreakable yet fails easily. the 3800 I have has the same drag system as their high end reels but the cage is the only machined part, the reel spool is composite

When I can afford to replace my cheap line holders (trout reels) they will most likely be with Hardy reels because I know they will last for lifetimes  :)
Check out our new blog

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »

When I can afford to replace my cheap line holders (trout reels) they will most likely be with Hardy reels because I know they will last for lifetimes  :)

I wish to run the Hardy St. George with a spitfire finish on all my trout gear at some point.  However for now I'll stick with my cheap redington and for lakes buy a set of Orvis Battenkills.

Might go with the ultralite eventually for my 8 wt set up.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »

I wish to run the Hardy St. George with a spitfire finish on all my trout gear at some point.  However for now I'll stick with my cheap redington and for lakes buy a set of Orvis Battenkills.

all my salmon/steelhead rods are Hardy reels, even my 4/5wt switch has a Hardy. I'm thinking a Hardy Princess for my 10' 4wt would fit nicely
Check out our new blog

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »

I was in the exact same boat last week. 8 weight dragon fly rod with no reel. Ended up going with a Lamson Konic, all in all about 175 brand new but I'm more than happy. Machined aluminum, good warranty, and the drag is enough to hold out on a nice big steelie.

The lamson konic is a good reel and saltwater protected, but I don't believe that it's machined. At least it wasn't a few years ago. I think the guru is lamson's entry level machined reel. Either way, you can't go wrong with a lamson. I've got a guru and velocity and other than a few hick-ups with the "gland cap", they're excellent reels. Theres more discussion about this on the flybc forum.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »

I've got a battenkill 8/9 disc and its a great value for what you get. Saltwater protected and strong durable drag. It's been a workhorse over the years!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »

I've got a battenkill 8/9 disc and its a great value for what you get. Saltwater protected and strong durable drag. It's been a workhorse over the years!

The battenkill ill be grabbing for lakes is the new click ones.  Super light weight, classic look and sound good!  I have the I on my nymphing rig, ill post a pic when I get home.

And I do like Orvis, but I like also like Hardy. 

Come to think of it I like lots of reels....