Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly reel  (Read 22085 times)

A Frayed Knot

Re: Fly reel
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

the Delorean was manufactured in the early 80s. Islander, Nautilus, Abel, Pate, Sea-Master, Fin-no, Ross and many more all made reels that for workmanship and fit and finish could clobber any Hardy from the 80s. Hardy & British reels made better reels for Orvis (find a CFO from that time) and Sage than the reels they put out under their own name. S.A. system 2 reels, I had 3 , still have 2 - while they were ugly were far more rugged and reliable than any Hardy from the same era. They were about the same price & made by British Reels.

I know when the Delorean was made funny enough people still consider it a classic. But it doesn't change the fact that. You don't get really get that quality like you say here.

I think I am going to start doing reel maintenance for friends and general public because its something I kinda enjoy doing the smaller scale mechanical need, it would be interesting little side project. Especially now that my fishing season is pretty much slowing down until Dec-April
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Alomar

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »

What about the echo ion, anyone had any experience with this reel? Or should I spend an extra 60 or 80 bucks for a Lamson Konic which I'm kinda leaning towards?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »

What about the echo ion, anyone had any experience with this reel? Or should I spend an extra 60 or 80 bucks for a Lamson Konic which I'm kinda leaning towards?

Try to find a konic from a US dealer.  I know its good to buy local, but its hard to argue against a $170 dollar reel for $100 bucks...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-reels~d~188/

Btw It is intriguing that the Konic's are in the same price point as the Orvis Access Mid-arbor's before the closeout.
http://www.orvis.com/p/access-mid-arbor-reels/3r44

and I cannot speak towards the Echo Ion's.  I have heard of issues with drags blowing up on large fish as many people use them as a value spey reel.  If you can afford to spend the extra money on the Konic/Orvis or find the Konic on closeout, I'd go with one of those.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:09:34 PM by clarkii »

Alomar

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »

Might b a silly question but I'm new to fly fishing, the lamson Konic 3.5 II will have a larger arbor than my 8 weight dragonfly reel that I use in lakes?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »

Not a silly question at all, however we do require some extra information before we make our answer!

Different companies, different arbors and spool width.  For example the Old Konic3.5 had a diameter of 3.7" with a width of 1.22".

Meanwhile the Hardy Ultralite 7000DD has a diameter of 4.29".  Both are 7/8/9 reels.  The Ultralite however has a very narrow spool, which is good as the line stacks evenly on its own.

Alomar

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

Yeah that's the konic I was liking at,my dragonfly reel is 20 years old and I don't have with me at the moment but I guess I could measure it to compare,, is a 3.75 " diameter have enough pick up to keep up with a nice coho?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »

Should have enough pick up, however is the drag still good?

Alomar

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

That's the reel from the Sierra trading post

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »

Ooooh thought we were talking the dragonfly still.

The konic is definitely good to go for coho.

Alomar

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 09:28:22 PM »

Right on, thanks for the input

Alomar

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »

Ended up getting a lamson konic, feels great! Would like to replace the knob/handle with a larger one, is this possible?