Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat On The Vedder Today  (Read 10398 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Boat On The Vedder Today
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »

bigrig

Re: Boat On The Vedder Today
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »

Crazy! Why is the highway bridge not the boundary for boats?
It's just not necessary to come any further.
Just because you can is not a valid reason   >:(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:58:01 PM by bigrig »

kevzabob

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »

Saw a full size tree come down the river around 2 pm, hope that guy still
Wasn't out. It would have left a good hole
In his boat

fyrslyer

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »

Nice looking boat, I have seen many boats up the river even as far as Wilson Rd, have heard of jet boats that have made higher up tho.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:26:57 PM »

Folding lawn chair there as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Tenz85

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:07:49 AM »

Maybe he is lost and mixed up river from down river.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

Sure why not? High water is the time to run a jet up the Vedder. No problems - no laws broken. Looks like it would have been fun. I've been in the canal before when a boat has gone by - it pisses you off sure enough but its a multi-recreation river so you just suck it up.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »

Last winter I was fishing the tailout of a run with a sharp corner when a jet boat came around the corner.
It had to be going fast to make it up the rapids from the previous run.
With the rapids below me I couldn't hear it coming so I had no opportunity to get out of the way. With the boat's speed required to make it up the rapids and the sharp corner they had no opportunity to avoid me.
It passed me at full speed within about 4 feet though of course it wasn't the swamping I was concerned about.
Certainly negligent behavior, especially in the fall with the large number of people.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »

FOC was doing jet boat operator training on the lower river last spring.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »

One thing we have to keep in mind is like forests our rivers are multi use. 

I see no issue with someone running a jet boat on a river if they are operating it appropriately and not causing harm to the ecosystem.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »

I agree that there are multi-uses but that doesn't mean that they work well together in the same place. Especially motorized vs. non-motorized. That's why most of these don't usually take place in the same area.

And of course it usually impacts the smaller guy more. Just ask a hiker what they think of ATV's all around them, or a backcountry skier how they feel about having a bunch of snowmobiles around them.

Similarly,I'm not sure it makes sense to have a single jet boat ripping up a heavily bank fished river.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »

Last winter I was fishing the tailout of a run with a sharp corner when a jet boat came around the corner.
It had to be going fast to make it up the rapids from the previous run.
With the rapids below me I couldn't hear it coming so I had no opportunity to get out of the way. With the boat's speed required to make it up the rapids and the sharp corner they had no opportunity to avoid me.
It passed me at full speed within about 4 feet though of course it wasn't the swamping I was concerned about.
Certainly negligent behavior, especially in the fall with the large number of people.
Most likely a good reason to not have power boats above the Freeway Bridge, lots of other areas to boat in.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »

If one guy's negligent behaviour is enough to cause this call to close boating on the vedder above the highway bridge, I would hope you are already calling to close fishing at the same boundary...

I don't see this the same way as a number of you, and most likely will get flack for this.

The smaller guy is not the most affected.  It is the responsible jet boat operators who get displaced onto other systems.  And frankly, they do not have the same number of systems available to them.  In fact it is a lot less. 

In response to asking the hiker about ATV's, the hiker will most likely not be in the same area as an ATV.  Why?  Because ATV's are restricted to road infrastructure (logging roads etc.) and they don't have the same ability to go up slopes like hikers do.  For example I would love to see an ATV try to get up to Lindeman Lake.

The only time
it usually impacts the smaller guy more
Is the backcountry skier with having a bunch of snowmobiles around them because  snow is easier to move those machines over.

Now another thing to remember is their window to operate on the vedder is a lot shorter than the fishing season.  The issue is as fisherman we often feel entitled to the river.  I never love hitting the rubber hatch on a river, or come to a run and see people swimming through it.

But its not worth getting worked up over for the few amount of days I run into it, and usually I can find a spot that isn't occupied or I wait for the tubers to float by.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »

http://youtu.be/tGNY_yZEgco

These guys are by tamahi

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »

honestly I don't see a problem with running boats on the Vedder, but I can think of many restrictions that should be in place. I have a huge problem with boats trolling back and forth from the mouth of the sumas to the hi-way bridge during lower water conditions and peak run times (sept to nov). Its stupid to have power boats cruising by trolling in 2 feet of water spooking all the fish that are moving upstream with the tides and ruining the bite for shore fishers in certain areas. When the water is high and the actual fishing conditions are poor or limited like right now with all this rain I think that it is okay. honestly I think a ban during certain months ei. august to nov when the water is lower and the crowds are high with the exception of  perhaps a water height minimum restriction for all months would be beneficial. I like going out in the boat in june and july up the vedder as well as early steelhead nov-jan season when the water is higher. As long as people respect each other there is no reason why you shouldn't be aloud. its the few yahoos that ruin it for every one. p.s the highest iv ever heard a boat running is bell acres area and it was a family member during freshet conditions 8)