Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy rains - fishing  (Read 18421 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Heavy rains - fishing
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »

There's a lot of other possibilities out there. Many of them have only natural wild populations of salmon and trout but I am getting old and forgettable and I can't remember them at the moment. Otherwise I'd be happy to invite people I don't know to go to those place and enjoy gut hooking wild cutthroat by fishing dew worms  ;D. Once the freeze up gets going up country the Fraser will drop and offer opportunities for trout, char and even coho in specific locales. Local lakes will fish well in the fall and even in winter if the weather is mild. They do stock the lakes in the fall and any fish from the spring plant will have grown some and behave more like natural fish.  Check the stocking reports on some other page on this site or on gofishbc.com. Buntzen, Sasamat, Mill, Grace, Mike and Rolley have all been stocked within the last week or so. There are regular reports (weekly or so) on some major tackle shops websites, Berry's Pacific Angler and Fred's for example, and mention most of the well known locations including Dewdney Slough. FWIW I've been up there a few times the last week and it's not so great at least as of Monday but I did get a nice wild coho on my 2nd cast that day - blanked for the balance of the day. Strangely enough the tackle shops don't report on some of those little wild streams, like Ableander Creek with great fishing this time of year 'cause I guess they figure it's just not worth it or perhaps for some other reason.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:58:11 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »

Also remember, if a river/creek is not listed on the regulations, salmon retention is illegal.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »

Maybe people just need to read and understand both sets of regs for the region they intend to fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »

Maybe people just need to read and understand both sets of regs for the region they intend to fish.

Agreed. But back on topic I hope there was something useful, no reason someone should end their season early because of some bad eggs or lack of information when there is plenty out there.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »

It's possible to find opportunities fly or gear any month of the year. The amount of rain we've had makes it challenging as many larger systems are so high but change your thinking & focus and there are places to fish for salmon and or trout.

flyguy1

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »

I went fishing today as the crowds look to be tapering off only four of us flyfishing the toilet bowl which was great. None of us got so much as a sniff but I still had a good time as no one was whining or complaining and as Clarki predicted water levels went down :).
Flood gates are still open but not discharging as much water which is good for the guys from Inch Creek enabling them to collect brood stock.

Just want to thank those of you who encouraged me to keep my chin up  and hopefully the rain will ease up in time.

Tight lines....   

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »

I went fishing today as the crowds look to be tapering off only four of us flyfishing the toilet bowl which was great. None of us got so much as a sniff but I still had a good time as no one was whining or complaining and as Clarki predicted water levels went down :).
Flood gates are still open but not discharging as much water which is good for the guys from Inch Creek enabling them to collect brood stock.

Just want to thank those of you who encouraged me to keep my chin up  and hopefully the rain will ease up in time.

Tight lines....

Were you allowed to walk down the road or did you have to cross the side channel and walk through?

chronicfisher

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:26 PM »

Went fishing today and man it was on fire!!couldn't keep them off the hook.had a great workout kept me pretty warm. ;D

flyguy1

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »

to BCFisherman

You still have to cross the  spawning channel to get to the toilet bowl  and probly will until they finish construction in 2018 . You will need chest waders as the water gets quite high during high tide but at least its not as deep as before. Some of the trails from the road to the channel are getting pretty slick from all the rain so be careful  as I slipped a few times.

banx

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »

Were you allowed to walk down the road or did you have to cross the side channel and walk through?

I walked down the road and around the gate yesterday after fishing.  Guy even smiled while he let a service truck exit through the gate..... crossed the channel on the way to the river though.