Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy rains - fishing  (Read 18428 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Heavy rains - fishing
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »

he Stave or Dewney water systems  are my only options at this time..
Perfect. The Dewdney/Norrish system has good/excellent flyfishing, into December. I didn't want to see you hang your rod up too early in frustration when the season still has a lot of game time left in it.

Cheers.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »

May want to consider trying Chehalis as well, it should be starting now.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »

chehalis is a tough river to fly fish

Drewhill

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »

Perfect. The Dewdney/Norrish system has good/excellent flyfishing, into December. I didn't want to see you hang your rod up too early in frustration when the season still has a lot of game time left in it.

Cheers.

Great, as if they weren't enough people packed on a small system now there will more.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »

Great, as if they weren't enough people packed on a small system now there will more.
Yep, blame this post.  ::)

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »

Really? We're going here. That place isn't exactly a secret. We've all had this conversation recently in another forum. None of these spots or any spot is a secret, if you see cars parked, it doesn't take much common sense to figure it out.

Heck before the river changed, for a couple bucks we got this from Freds. Before the river changed. Cat's out of the bag now!!! OH wait...

Sorry, I got off topic. Chehalis isn't to bad to fly though, thats why we got a bunch of different casts to cover different types of water.
Also if he happens to have a switch rod, he could 2 hand cast very easily with nearly no room for back casting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:15:35 AM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »

It's already a gong show up there. :) nothing new.

flyguy1

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »

If it turns out to be a gong show I'll be quite happy to go back to fish the Stave River  as in my previous post I can use my belly boat and kick my way to good spots. I strictly flyfish and have no intention to crowd out any other anglers. I fish to have a good time and find it relaxing the last thing I want is to hear people whine about having no space in there secret hole.

This is one of the very reasons I considered hanging up my fly rod for the season in the first place!!!   With the higher water and less space to fish, comes more bickering between anglers   
 and it's really getting pathetic !!!!!!

Clarki only mentioned other water sytems on the north side to have me reconsider my options and not to give up fishing for the year. Dewdney slough or Suicide creek is no more of a secret and/or gong show than the Stave or Chehalis rivers.

Just as  the old saying goes ......be glad your out  there fishing  wether you catch fish or not because it sure beats a hard day at work. 

Drewhill

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:02 PM »

It's already a gong show up there. :) nothing new.

There's just no common sense in giving someone that specific of info. The smart thing to do would have been either 1) Let  him put away the rod for the year. Some people need to learn the hard way or 2) Reply like "there are still good opportunities" and send him a PM.

If you don't think a small system with pressure can get even busier look at the Cap. That's always been a small system with pressure but has gotten out of hand the last few years. We used to hike into the canyon and not see anyone all day and now those same spots are packed. If you think it's simply because fishing is more popular, you're wrong. Like others have said, I'm sure you'll find a reason why I'm wrong because you're always right  ::)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »

Dear flyguy1

Please disregard my previous suggestion, which lacked common sense.

There are 2 things I would suggest instead. Either,
1) Put your rod away. You need to learn the hard way.
2) Don't put your rod away. There are still some good opportunities.

Sincerely, clarki (smart version 2.0)

Humpy

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 11:48:46 PM »

lol  ;D
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

Dear flyguy1

Please disregard my previous suggestion, which lacked common sense.

There are 2 things I would suggest instead. Either,
1) Put your rod away. You need to learn the hard way.
2) Don't put your rod away. There are still some good opportunities.

Sincerely, clarki (smart version 2.0)

No back pedaling! Stick to your guns! lol  ;D

flyguy1

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »

To clarki

Thanks for the (smart version 2)   

But please forgive me  clarki ....  for It seems I missed out on something here or perhaps nodded off for a few minutes.

Maybe due to the lack of the common sense of speaking about specific info on  highly pressured rivers, I should retire my fly rod for good and quit fishing all together. After all  I'm not sure I'm learning much of anything here period............ let alone  learning the hard way ::)!!!!!!

Sincerely Flyguy1
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:03:02 AM by flyguy1 »

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:06 AM »

Well before you go up and quitting, at least check out a couple other websites. FlyBC has a great little fly fishing community, I don't actually use the site myself but I see it pop up on my facebook and I am considering joining to group at least on FB, I dunno, we'll see it. I am not in a hurry too but I am curious.

I don't like to see anyone quit so I will share some rivers with you. But you have to do some leg work, talk to people in shops, google maps places (you'll see me say this a lot) anyway most of these rivers I have fly fished before. But generally I bring gear with me just incase. Keep in mind, this year as just been bad because of weather so its hard for everyone.

If you don't mind commuting, you got a few options.

- Lower Pitt - I can't remember exactly where I went but google it.
- Harrison River - It's pretty big but there is some doable spots, its not like you need to cast across a river.
- Chehalis River, requires a bit of hike to some good spots but do able.
- Stave River - well goes without saying.
- Cheakamus River - suffered from a chem spill awhile ago but still seems like fishing isn't to bad. I'd probably scout that one.
- Vedder - It's pretty ugly there during salmon season that map I linked earlier has a full list of locations and the name of each pool from Pilings and Kurtains, up to the Ranger run. You can buy one for a buck or just google Fred's Custom Tackle Vedder/Chilliwack Fishing Locations.
- DeBoville or Sturgeon Slough (there is a bunch), honestly they are all on google maps, you don't even have to search for anything just open it up and look at the blue lines (which end up being bodies of water) and then zoom.
- Merritt and towards Kamloops and even as far as Enderby has amazing fishing if you can sneak away for a weekend.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR REGS FIRST -  I am not accountable if you get fined or worse! This is your only warning.

You do have to do some leg work though. Google and the internet is your friend, its not hard to find these spots. Most of my spots have been from family fishermen/women and just exploring, but that was when it didn't cost you 150 bucks in gas to do it. (I remember when it was 97c/liter)

Protip, something I learned just recently thanks to Yahoo.ca if you type * in the search bar it'll force a pop up of every buisness in an area so you can find land marks easier. Because sometimes zooming all the way in will show nothing. Or if you put in an address somewhere it may take you to nowhere or the middle of a road because it can't find the address.  ::)

These are just a few spots I have no many its nuts, most I don't even know what the regs say about em or if they are even still seeing fish.

Also if you aren't doing lakes, check out a bunch of lakes too.
Mike Lake, Rice Lake, Buntzen, Sasamat, LaFarge, and so on. I don't know if lakes are any good in the fall, its usually my summer thing when I am bored.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:10:38 AM by A Frayed Knot »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »

If you do lakes go around Merritt and Kamloops.  Fall is one of the best times to fish lakes and they can have some huge rainbows lake depending.   

It might take a while to figure out, but (coming from a river guy) a nice day on a like weather wise almost beats a nice day on a river.  However if its raining its bloody miserable on a lake...