Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy rains - fishing  (Read 18306 times)

rezak

Heavy rains - fishing
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »

It looks like we're in for a period of heavy rains over the next week.  So I'm curious do you sit and wait it out or continue fishing the flooded murky waters. I'm still undecided.   Any tips for those that brave the weather.  If you do head out be carful and stay safe. The waters and current can be deceptive.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:41:50 PM by rezak »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Heavy rains - fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »

It's extremely dangerous with the rising water. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Dress accordingly.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »

Only dippers or long liners work the river in muddy waters.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

I switch to different water, not everything is murky.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »

Be careful but fish big blades close to shore or up against log jams and woody debris. If the rivers get very high the banks can be unstable and large debris can violently thrust out along the shore posing a deadly threat.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »

If the rivers get very high the banks can be unstable and large debris can violently thrust out along the shore posing a deadly threat.

I was at a party up on the Squamish river, and a full size tree came floating down the river,tip first. It breached the shore and proceeded to puncture my friends car windows, grabbing the car lifting it and twisting it. It bent the door so bad he couldn't close it at all.

Now if that had of been a fishermen...

flyguy1

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »

I'm done for the season  seems everywhere I go the water is to murky to flyfish anyways  and its about to get worse. I refuse to resort to fishing any part of the spawning channel  at the stave even if it is legal and not about to go back to chucking gear (Just A preference) . So far this type of rain has only happened one other year  that I can remember so I will wait till next year and hopefully it wont be this bad

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »

I was fishing the elk this year when it had 1 inch or less or visibility.

Got four fish on a dry fly in 4 casts through a spot.

Dad had several hits on nymphs and landed two.

Just because its murky doesnt mean the fish dont eat.  They have lateral lines for a reason, just have to match the food being blown out.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »

I've caught fish on the fly in the most intolerable looking muck.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »

I'm done for the season

Then you will be missing many weeks of still of excellent fishing, fly or otherwise.

flyguy1

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »

Its been my experience in the past that when the Stave River becomes this high that the fish turn onto roe or gear. The other problem becomes access to Frog water , normally I could kick my belly boat to find these areas but that's at a much lower water level. Its great exercise and a lot of fun 
but impossible when the water is this fast.
Maybe I'll try again down by the mouth  but for the most part I think I need to invest in a kayak for years when the water is high. Its gets frustrating not being able to get away from the mob mentality of the Stave but with less shoreline available it becomes even more unbearable.

Either way thanks for the encouragement   

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »

I wasn't necessarily referring to the Stave. There are other river systems on the north side of the Fraser that offer excellent fishing through November, and even into December.

The rain will stop. When it does, these systems offer excellent fishing as the river drops and clears.   

But even on the Stave, when the chums die off, and so do the crowds, there will still be coho and cutthroat about.     

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »

What are they going to do with the Stave running this high... a lot of the Chum will end up spawing in areas that would normally not be under water - will they leave it as is for the season?

On another note - who's doing the construction work up there - sure are a lot of debris from the job site such as 2x4 2x6 plywood and plastic poly littered along the banks now

flyguy1

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

Clarki

I realize the other rivers  on the north side may be in better shape specially when these rains stop  unfortunately I am limited as to how far I can drive. The Stave or Dewney water systems  are my only options at this time.
I just came back from the Stave and levels have dropped significantly possibly to allow the crew from Inch Creek to net some of the coho from the toilet bowl. I talked to one of the guys from Inch creek as they were down there last week to assess the situation and said they would try a sweep today.
 Hopefully after this next wave of rain the weather will cooperate and conditions improve, its just been a late and frustrating start to the season

NiceFish

I noticed all the debri when they first opened the flood gates at the dam  huge chunks of what looked like styrafoam also went floating down river it's quite the mess today as plastic is stuck everywhere snagged on branchs of half submerged bush. I have no idea who is in charge but surely this could have been avoided.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:08:23 PM by flyguy1 »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »

Thanks for the update