Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it morally wrong...  (Read 16469 times)

zap brannigan

Re: Is it morally wrong...
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »

love a good troll.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »

this troll has stirred up some issues. heres some regs we should be aware of

1. all snagged fish must be released. ie hook is not in mouth

2. waste your fish. you must return any fish to the water gently and quickly if fish is not edible. ie zombie chum or boot springs.

3. must not release the fish in a harmful manner. ie using your boot to kick back in or throwing the fish back in.

I had a co-worker who did number 3. kicked the fish back in the water and CO's were watching and gave him fine and court date. he was lucky they did not take his gear. :(

salmonlover

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »

to troll or not to troll...that is thy question. whether it is better to have a life... or seek attention from strangers online. or go hither into the world and experience all its wonderfulness...

TheFishingLad

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

While the entire Fraser River is lined with people armed with bouncing betties targetting Sockeye.. Do you think it's a realistic goal to get all of these people to stop snagging? I think we should let them keep their non-mouth snagged fish and get off the water so they don't stand there damaging more and more fish all day just to take 2 out of 10 that are hooked in the mouth.
I give you 4/10 for the Topic Change(TC)/Hijack attempt.

Believe it or not, a successful thread jacker will posses sufficient knowledge and skills on the art of trolling. What you, Mr JonFiveHill failed to do was several things.
1)Monitor thread activity. Who is posting, the amount of posts per hour, and how the discussion is going (Ex. Is it heated? Relaxed? Full of trolls?) This is important as a heated discussion among more than 2 persons has a higher probability of the TC to get a foothold.

2) Take note of what threads you have authored in the past. Did it get good feedback? Were you attempting to troll? Was there any notable individuals providing you with resistance?

3)Wording is everything. The above paragraph was worded poorly. A good TC will be one sentence or less, and directed at an individual to engage him/her in a emotional rebuttal. This is where you hope more people jump in to defend what's morally right.

There is a lot more to it, though its far too situation specific for me to cover this in detail. Hope this helps.

burnaby

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

Those that only hook 2 out of 10 socks in the mouth need to quit fishing. 90% of our socks were hooked in the mouth, the 10% was long line released, learn to floss instead of ripping at the end of the drift.
While the entire Fraser River is lined with people armed with bouncing betties targetting Sockeye.. Do you think it's a realistic goal to get all of these people to stop snagging? I think we should let them keep their non-mouth snagged fish and get off the water so they don't stand there damaging more and more fish all day just to take 2 out of 10 that are hooked in the mouth.

Animal Chin

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »

I think we should let them keep their non-mouth snagged fish and get off the water so they don't stand there damaging more and more fish all day just to take 2 out of 10 that are hooked in the mouth.

From my first year experience bottom bouncing for sockeye (and it was at PegLeg) I didn't see very many non-mouth snagged actually, way worse at Squamish, almost all were flossed "within regulations". Nonetheless, people stuck around and made a day off it. I personally didn't see the point but I'd say about half did.

You'd have to have leader length restrictions to accomplish anything close to a goal of harm reduction. Legalizing snagging would be a very slippery slope, I'd hate to see the techniques someone would likely come up with once it was allowed. 

ride604

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »

the 10% was long line released

What is this long line release you speak of?  Have had a couple chum foul hooked recently while fishing spinners and spoons, if there's a way to get them off the hook without tiring them out in I would love to know it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »

I was fishing beside a guy today and he foul hooked a coho so I gave him a hand with tailing it in the water and he was really questioning me on whether I was sure it was wild. I told him over and over that not only is it wild but its foul hooked and his response was that if it was hatchery he has earned the right to keep it even if it was foul hooked. All I  could say to him was that it all boils down to  whether or not he had and ethics or morals. He looked and said , I  guess your right.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bunnta

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »

burp
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:31:21 PM by bunnta »

chromeo

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »

Can we get this stupid post removed? 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »

I was fishing beside a guy today and he foul hooked a coho so I gave him a hand with tailing it in the water and he was really questioning me on whether I was sure it was wild. I told him over and over that not only is it wild but its foul hooked and his response was that if it was hatchery he has earned the right to keep it even if it was foul hooked. All I  could say to him was that it all boils down to  whether or not he had and ethics or morals. He looked and said , I  guess your right.

people like this make me want to head butt them in the face then break their rod  ::)

This guy obviously knows the difference and the regulations and yet still doesn't give a cra* and would have kept that fish if no one was there to say anything >:( >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »

Can we get this stupid post removed?

Who is forcing you to read it?
always a student

SPEYMAN

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »

It is illegal. Morality has nothing to do with it. Troll it may be, but it has brought some attention to this issue. We have to be the stewards on our rivers as there will be no one else.

People wanted the massive returns of salmon and gave no thought to what would happen. There have been photos of this crap in the U.S. for years.

Sqeeky wheel gets the grease. Phone the RAPP line,Local CO and RCMP, every time you see this happening. Sooner or later they will get the message and due some thing about it.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

Back on topic in this thread. OP's fine, imo start using dynamite it'll save you time, it scatters bits everywhere, and send your retriever to pick up the fillets.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.