Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 12457 times)

losos

Waders
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:03 AM »

So after completing my fishing setup I'm ready to buy a new waders. Until know I had neoprene ones ,but they are no good when it comes to hiking while looking for a fish. 
I'd like to get advice on what , where and how much for good quality breathables that will last several seasons and will be really breathing. Noticed there are some breathables made of 100% polyester claiming to provide breathing however Simms for the most part ,if not exclusively, uses Gore tex.
How much do I have to pay for Gore Tex pants ?
Hope you guys will oblige,thanks.

ChumChaser

Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

They cost a lot but any of the Simms Guid waders will keep you dry and comfortable  all day for many years.  I also know a couple guys with the cabela guides and they seem to be working very well for them,  I think they are about half the price or less of the Simms. The Simms are gortex and the cabela are not,  but both are a breathable membrane fabric. In my opinion it is the multiple layers of these material that allow them the last several seasons of use.  Although gortex is the standard for breathable material,  I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference in breathability,  that's just my opinion.

mvelasco

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »

I was in the market for new waders over the summer and it came down to Simms and Redington. I eventually went with Simms after chatting with Todd from the abby  Freds. The choice came clearly when we talked about longevity and production.  Simms waders are mainly made in the USA and tested before they hit the market. Life span is about 400 trips! If you go twice a week it's 104 trips so roughly four years if you take care of them. In terms of comfort and how breathable they are I can say they are amazing. I purchased the G3  line and I am more than happy with them. I wore them half down during the summer and I during the fall I only layered with sweatpants and wool socks. Kept my legs nice and warm and the durability is amazing. Taken my fair share of tumbles so far and they dry in a snap. Sure they are expensive but in terms of what you wear when you fish whether it's winter for steelhead or light layering for fall you do not want to cheap out.just my 2 cents.

jordanc

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »

I got frog toggs last year and for the price I paid they are great I think they were 200$ at freds. Ive gone through some pretty dense bush and they have held up great. I wore them this summer and last winter and they were comfortable in both situations. In the winter ill just put on sweatpants and maybe long johns and in the summer just some workout shorts and they're great. They were recommended to me on this forum and id recommend them to anybody who wants to get a good product at a good price.

DRP79

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »

I have had a pair of Simms Headwaters for the past 2 or so years and they have been great and without issue. I think they were less than $300, they were a gift.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »

Been wearing Caddis Northern Guide waders for the past 2 summer/winters. For the money they are an awesome option to think about.

Tenz85

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 06:19:54 PM »

If you go with goretex, make sure the readers are properly fit otherwise the wrinkles cause the tears. First hole on simms is covered by Simms. That's quality.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »

I'm passionate on this topic, why spend $400+ on waders of the best quality. That can be torn, poked, etc. when you can buy FRogg Toggs for the fraction of the cost. I'd rather buy 3 pairs of Frogg Toggs for the same price of the top name brand.

Yes you get warranty with the expensive brand, but shipping, time, etc.

losos

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »

Thanks guys for all replys . I'll go with Simms G3 Guide since they seem to be reasonably priced (less than $300) ,have one of the best if not the best warranty and with my amount of fishing will last forever.

Nitroholic

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:15:45 PM »

I'm passionate on this topic, why spend $400+ on waders of the best quality. That can be torn, poked, etc. when you can buy FRogg Toggs for the fraction of the cost. I'd rather buy 3 pairs of Frogg Toggs for the same price of the top name brand.

Yes you get warranty with the expensive brand, but shipping, time, etc.

Why? Because it's nice to be comfortable. 3 and half seasons on my G3's and they are dirty as hell but keep me dry and are much more comfortable than cheap waders. But I forgot, you are the expert on everything.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 04:54:58 AM »

Where are you buying g3's for $300?!?!?!

They usually run 500 and simms is pickier on pricing then pilots through a takeoff checklist!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »

Why? Because it's nice to be comfortable. 3 and half seasons on my G3's and they are dirty as hell but keep me dry and are much more comfortable than cheap waders. But I forgot, you are the expert on everything.

No need to be a dick. You can do what you want, obviously. I don't see how there's much comfort different between the Simms and the Frogg Toggs breathables. Not $300 difference anyways.

mvelasco

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »

Where are you buying g3's for $300?!?!?!

They usually run 500 and simms is pickier on pricing then pilots through a takeoff checklist!
LOL I would like to know too! If it'd the 2013 G3  I've seen em for 350...

dobrolub

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »

Love my Sims summer or winter.