Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 12441 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Waders
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »

I got a smokin' online deal on G3s with caddisflyshop.com last year. They were clearing out, and b/c they are based in OR, there was no sales tax. I had them shipped to Blaine where I picked them up on the way back from a multi day trip, so no duty/taxes at the border.         

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »

I know the g3s got modified for 2014 and the 2013's gor blown out.

But that was almost a year ago or more lol.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »

I'm passionate on this topic, why spend $400+ on waders of the best quality. That can be torn, poked, etc. when you can buy FRogg Toggs for the fraction of the cost. I'd rather buy 3 pairs of Frogg Toggs for the same price of the top name brand.

I have heard similar advice from anglers who spend a lot more days in waders than me. Basically it goes buy 2 pairs of cheap breathables and a tube of aquaseal. So that's what I did. Now they weren't Frogg Toggs and I don't have any experience with them but my 2 cheap waders cost me well over $200 and didn't last a year even though I wore neoprene in the cold months. My Chotas had the leg seam separate while I was fishing - I spent the day soaked and my Columbia's developed leaks through the entire length of the crotch seam - both left and right. Neither could be fixed with a single tube of Aquaseal. I could have used that money for a good pair of Simms. I bought a pair of G3s which are expensive but I could have just jumped straight to the G3s which are the best waders I have ever owned as far as reliability goes. Talk to some of the shop owners - people use them for 10 years and more and maybe just replace the feet. I you fish 35 to 50 times a year you will likely replace your Frogg Toggs every year. Do the math. Buying some of the less expensive Simms are probably a better deal in the long term.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »

Buying less expensive simms probably works well if you DONT use them in a float tube...Mine are two/three years old and leak in the seams due to float tube use...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »

neos are for float tubes
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »

I have heard similar advice from anglers who spend a lot more days in waders than me. Basically it goes buy 2 pairs of cheap breathables and a tube of aquaseal. So that's what I did. Now they weren't Frogg Toggs and I don't have any experience with them but my 2 cheap waders cost me well over $200 and didn't last a year even though I wore neoprene in the cold months. My Chotas had the leg seam separate while I was fishing - I spent the day soaked and my Columbia's developed leaks through the entire length of the crotch seam - both left and right. Neither could be fixed with a single tube of Aquaseal. I could have used that money for a good pair of Simms. I bought a pair of G3s which are expensive but I could have just jumped straight to the G3s which are the best waders I have ever owned as far as reliability goes. Talk to some of the shop owners - people use them for 10 years and more and maybe just replace the feet. I you fish 35 to 50 times a year you will likely replace your Frogg Toggs every year. Do the math. Buying some of the less expensive Simms are probably a better deal in the long term.

If you can get 10+ years out of them then great, but I've never seen waders last that long with avid fishermen.

My experience with the Frogg Toggs brand was exceptional. I wore the guide pants for probably 60 days last summer (2012), and donated them to Ryan Ens of the Fishing Guys. Not sure if he's still rocking them or not. I've got two FRogg toggs jackets and they both still have held up and keep the water out. A second pair of waders I hooked and caused a leak myself and never got them fixed.

I know Simms makes amazing products, I'm not bashing the brand in anyway. I just don't think the cost equals the use for me.

Never use any water sealing products like aqua seal.

I've neever tried Columbia or Chotas brands, so I can't comment on their quality.

Frogg Toggs also has a one year replacement or repair warranty if defective.

b8floater

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:04 AM »

I wore the guide pants for probably 60 days last summer (2012), and donated them to Ryan Ens of the Fishing Guys. Not sure if he's still rocking them or not.
Yup, still working great and no leaks Flytech!  The only wear I've noticed is I've lost some stitching on the inseam of the boot covers, but I'm sure the lace hooks of my Simms Freestone boots may have had something to do with that.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

Yup, still working great and no leaks Flytech!  The only wear I've noticed is I've lost some stitching on the inseam of the boot covers, but I'm sure the lace hooks of my Simms Freestone boots may have had something to do with that.

Your spidey senses must have been tickling. Didn't know this was your account.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »

Not that I doubt your integrity, Flytech, but I'm curious...did you ever receive promotional consideration (in terms of product or cash) when Fishing Reviews TV reviewed Froggs Toggs waders?   

If so, I think that may have some bearing on your endorsement of the product.

Again, I am not calling your integrity into question. Just inquiring about a potential bias.   

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »

Not that I doubt your integrity, Flytech, but I'm curious...did you ever receive promotional consideration (in terms of product or cash) when Fishing Reviews TV reviewed Froggs Toggs waders?   

If so, I think that may have some bearing on your endorsement of the product.

Again, I am not calling your integrity into question. Just inquiring about a potential bias.   

I did not receive any bonus other than the product itself. I have zero to do with the reviews company anymore, and they weren't the only waders I received. I just was lucky enough to try multiple brands and multiple products.

Redington is another brand we worked with a lot and yes I endorse their product. But the reason for that is the fact is a great quality for value product line. I used a lot of fly rods in that time, and they were the one I would recommend to most people.

The different brands I worked with were Okuma, Frogg Toggs, Redington, LOOP, Orvis, Amundson, Farlex, Temple Fork Outfitters, Cheeky, Allen, Abel Automatics, JP Ross, Leech, Fishlander, and more.

Again, I'm not saying Simms are bad waders, in fact they're pretty amazing. I just personally can't justify the cost. Same reason I'm not buying Sage brand rods, when I know I can get the job done with Redington.

Everything in life is relative, if you can afford to spend more on waders, then do it. But I can't.

bcguy

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »

Having purchased Simms waders a couple of times, but not the G3's, I am not very impressed, they were leaking on the inseam within a year, get out the Aquaseal...again.
If you don't buy G3 or better, Im not convinced Simms are a superior product either. Seems to me if a guy is dropping a few hundred on waders, the bloody things better not be leaking within a year, to me that's crap.
If I bought a car or truck and had trouble after a year, Id be livid, but poor craftsmanship and waders just get you pointed to a tube of aquaseal  ::)
Made in China Simms are not even close in quality to the waders manufactured in the USA, so since I have a family and a budget that wont allow me to drop $500+on a pair of G3's, I'm going to try a pair of Frogg Toggs next...I have one of their jackets and no complaints
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

Much as I like simms boots, I believe their waders are overpriced.

My next pair I am saying with confidence will be orvis silver sonics, most likely the guide version.

Unless I can find simms on sale

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »

I did not receive any bonus other than the product itself. I have zero to do with the reviews company anymore, and they weren't the only waders I received. I just was lucky enough to try multiple brands and multiple products.

Redington is another brand we worked with a lot and yes I endorse their product. But the reason for that is the fact is a great quality for value product line. I used a lot of fly rods in that time, and they were the one I would recommend to most people.

The different brands I worked with were Okuma, Frogg Toggs, Redington, LOOP, Orvis, Amundson, Farlex, Temple Fork Outfitters, Cheeky, Allen, Abel Automatics, JP Ross, Leech, Fishlander, and more.

Again, I'm not saying Simms are bad waders, in fact they're pretty amazing. I just personally can't justify the cost. Same reason I'm not buying Sage brand rods, when I know I can get the job done with Redington.

Everything in life is relative, if you can afford to spend more on waders, then do it. But I can't.

Understood. Thanks for clarifying and not calling me a d!ck ;) I totally get the affordability/family budget. For years my purchases of fishing assets (rods, waders..) came out of my fishing fund. And my fishing fund only acquired revenue from Christmas and birthday. My family became very familiar with cash presents for clarki's fishing fund!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 07:06:07 AM »

which model of Frogg Togg waders where you supplied to test? I think there are at least 4 current models ranging from$110 to $225.

Other brands to consider would include Patagonia,which ship from their store in Toronto and have a Canadian website, and Dan Bailey's.

When it comes right down to it the Simms Guide waders are about the only wader I have heard unreserved good things about. I'd add Seatux Neoprenes  for anyone in that market. $500 isn't that much money not much more than moderate $ rods and pretty comparable for other consumer items (ie a large screen LED TV)

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »

With frogg toggs make sure the model has handwarmers!  A couple friends of mine have a set and I havent seen any handwarmers built into them.