Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you carry Bear Spray for protection while fishing?

All the time
- 13 (18.8%)
Never
- 34 (49.3%)
Occasionally
- 22 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: November 01, 2014, 10:30:34 PM

Author Topic: Bear Spray  (Read 17021 times)

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: Bear Spray
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »

Fish solo most of the time in local backcountry and in the Nass and Skeena area and have had a number of close bear encounters. Despite your best efforts you will from time surprise one, especially around noisy moving water, in poor light conditions and in my experience in the spring when they have just come out if hibernation and are a little dozy. Have had the spray out in my hand three times this year including when I turned round to find a grizzly cub trying to cross the river 40 feet above me as I was standing in the middle of the river with nowhere to retreat. I was sure glad to have it on all occasions even though I didn't need to use it and I honestly believe it's a better defense against a short range charge than a firearm that you have to shoulder and hit a moving target with accuracy. Spray may deter a bear from coming near people again without harming it permanently whether it's a wild bear acting territorially or defensively or a problem bear like the one following the joggers. Personally I think the best defense is to be aware of your surrounding and read up on bear behavior.