Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you carry Bear Spray for protection while fishing?

All the time
- 13 (18.8%)
Never
- 34 (49.3%)
Occasionally
- 22 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: November 01, 2014, 10:30:34 PM

Author Topic: Bear Spray  (Read 16999 times)

KarateKick

Re: Bear Spray
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »

There is a decent-looking Smith and Wesson knife on sale at Canadian Tire for $45.

baowu2

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »

Leave the Spray at home if cougars is what your worried about, you wont see the attack coming. A knife with easy access is what you want. Cougars are pretty cowardly and any kind of resistance like a couple good knife stabs will have them thinking twice about their attack.

That being said there is a teenage black bear in the upper river around Alison i have spotted it for two seasons now and its getting pretty damn big. The house right by Alison has two dogs when they are barking like crazy thats a good sign its in the area.

I saw it crossing the street on thursday morning to the river side....

zap brannigan

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »

once in a while i carry spray, but when in more remote areas i carry my short barrelled shorty along with spray, would rather spray than shoot.

Stewie

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »

Dumb question.. Where does one buy bear spray? I've been thinking about getting some for when I'm out on the river bush whacking

whereismyfloat

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 06:36:50 PM »

Wholesale sports

dobrolub

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »

MEC carries spray

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »

Depends where I am....

Van Island - sometimes
Lower mainland - no
Skeena and tribs - YES

X2

Also bear bangers as they are more suitable when a bear is making you nervous but not attacking.  I have used them to good effect on the Nitinat when a bear was obviously working himself up to being trouble.  The bears on the Nitinat hear so many bangers they respond with a woof, a dash to the bushes followed by reappearance in a few seconds.  The troublesome one got a banger into low bushes right at his feet whereupon he decided he had business away from the river but I noted he trotted away rather than galloping like a terrified animal.

I have seen large grizzly tracks on the Ashlu near Squamish and I believe Squamish had one removed from their garbage dump this summer so they are around.

They are dangerous but not often aggressive so don't be panicked by a bear sighting. Through family I have knowledge of over 100 years of history in the Pemberton area and although grizzlies are often seen and have scared many people, there has to my knowledge only been one fatal attack almost 100 years ago and that was the fault of the victim.  He was in a bears den trying to capture a small cub when momma returned.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »

I used to work on, and have fished the Horsefly River nearly religiously every fall since the early 70’s.  This river, especially in the upper reaches during sockeye time has a ton of bears and I have seen many, including 7 grizzlies ( 3 really, really close ..) Scariest bear was a brown black that basically suggested I should leave and leave now  .. I did.

I always carried spray while fishing and occasionally a shotgun while working on that river from that day on.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

I thought it was illegal in BC? I am obviously wrong. I wish I could carry a glock instead.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 08:05:56 PM »

I thought it was illegal in BC? I am obviously wrong. I wish I could carry a glock instead.
Sorry, I should have specified I was with DFO at the time and fully qualified to carry the Remington.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »

Sorry, I should have specified I was with DFO at the time and fully qualified to carry the Remington.

What? Why you quoting me?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »

Sorry bud, just the sequence of posts  :)

losos

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshBT5Ua4uo

The best cougar attack video out there, guaranteed to safer trips after this video
They forgot to mention that stabbing it with any pointy weapon might prolong attack.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »

They forgot to mention that stabbing it with any pointy weapon might prolong attack.

Attacks, I welcome... wait - what? I mean thats a great uh, point.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:31 PM »

haha that video is awesome.