Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you carry Bear Spray for protection while fishing?

All the time
- 13 (18.8%)
Never
- 34 (49.3%)
Occasionally
- 22 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: November 01, 2014, 10:30:34 PM

Author Topic: Bear Spray  (Read 17009 times)

A Frayed Knot

Re: Bear Spray
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »

haha that video is awesome.

I thought it was pretty funny too. I use this technique when I am out in the great outdoors, y'know... John B or Woodys if you are from the bronx, I mean
Tri cities. Lol.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Ambassador

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »

They are dangerous but not often aggressive so don't be panicked by a bear sighting.
x2. If bears has even the slightest interest in us we would be hearing of a lot more attacks in BC - especially among fishermen at salmon season as we are basically standing in their buffet competing for their lunch.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

rezak

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »

I carry spray. I seen enough bars up close while working in the woods. You never know when youll stumble upon a bear having a bad day or worse one with cubs. I generally  carry a blade daily  for utility purpose and I guess cougar defence if need be.  I didnt even think of them.  You definitely won't see them coming.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:13:38 AM by rezak »

tim3500

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »

Bear spray LOL.  Practice Bear avoidence. If Bears are that big of a problem then only a 870 with 3 inch slugs will help you !

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »

Bear spray LOL.  Practice Bear avoidence. If Bears are that big of a problem then only a 870 with 3 inch slugs will help you !

So long as your quick draw is faster than a decent size bear!
I don't know about Black bears but rest are pretty damn fast and like to ambush prey. They are always gonna smell us first.

Most cases I think we're pretty safe, they keep to themselves we keep to ours. It's pretty simple but a lot of noise goes a long way and a long with the spray, you should be more than fine. Be mindful of the surroundings. The only other thing I can think is pick your time of day.
Since bears do their best to avoid people, if you are gonna be in obvious bear territory especially along the river during a feed/spawning.  Do go at first light, fishings great but all your gonna do is walk in one, surprise it and thats a worst case scenario.

Oh also... don't be these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TakfR9rzKTk

No dogs too.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »

If I ever fish where I know there are bears. The upper vedder or northern rivers. I have the little bells that jingle when you walk. Also if I'm really remote I bring these little firecrackers that are very small and make a loud noise like the shot of a .22. They pretty much vaporize when they explode so no mess is left behind :)

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

If I ever fish where I know there are bears. The upper vedder or northern rivers. I have the little bells that jingle when you walk. Also if I'm really remote I bring these little firecrackers that are very small and make a loud noise like the shot of a .22. They pretty much vaporize when they explode so no mess is left behind :)

That's what I use too! Well the stuff I use Tru Flare Bear Bangers. I don't use bells, I have my radio speakers in most cases with me, if I have to hike anywhere it straps to my bag and I just plug in my ipod (160g) so.. having like 9 months of songs, and podcasts the bears and I are usually pretty happy.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »

If I ever fish where I know there are bears. The upper vedder or northern rivers. I have the little bells that jingle when you walk.

Many people carry pepper spray and wear bells in the outdoors.

You can also identify a a bear by its' scat.

The scat of a black has seeds, husks and perhaps the bones of small critters.

The scat of grizzly bears contains small bells and smells like pepper! :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 12:38:05 PM »

Leave the Spray at home if cougars is what your worried about, you wont see the attack coming. A knife with easy access is what you want. Cougars are pretty cowardly and any kind of resistance like a couple good knife stabs will have them thinking twice about their attack.

umm no - cougar attacks are very rare and cougars aren't particularly common. As far as predatory animals go there are far more specialized than bears and bears mostly attack for reasons other to kill prey.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

samw

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

I've had multiple bear encounters or sightings in the past few years including 3 this year.  Luckily they have no interest to follow me unlike what happened to these guys in Alberta on a trail where a Suncor employee was killed just a month earlier.  http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bear-chases-joggers-on-alberta-trail-our-escape-was-not-guaranteed-1.1870339

I do carry bear spray.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:48:45 PM by samw »

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »

The Buddy System is the best when fishing bear country. Just be sure your Buddy is older and slower than yourself.

Remember, you don't have to be able to outrun the bear as long as you can outrun your Buddy! ;)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »

Many people carry pepper spray and wear bells in the outdoors.

You can also identify a a bear by its' scat.

The scat of a black has seeds, husks and perhaps the bones of small critters.

The scat of grizzly bears contains small bells and smells like pepper! :)

Hahah awesome.

flyguy1

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUeQTcbfss0...... Grizzly bear goes after fishermans catch.

This is the best video of them all bar none !!!!!   Guys fishing on river   grizzly swimming across directly toward them...    First guy ..."says with all of us here he cant do much"..   then another bright guy throws rocks at it.

1. My first thought for the guy who....... "says he cant do much with all of us here "   

Yup  you go ahead and test your theory out  while I walk backwards  and watch with interest  by the way are you going to be the first in line if we fight the  grizz.....????   

2. For the guy that throws rocks at a grizzly bear .

Plain and Simple   ...    nothing like pissing off a brizzly bear when all you have is a rock in your hand........    and few to spare in your head !!!

I've heard and seen some some stupid things but a few of these guys take the cake 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:25:32 PM by flyguy1 »

flyguy1

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUeQTcbfss0...... Grizzly bear goes after fishermans catch.

This is the best video of them all bar none !!!!!   Guys fishing on river   grizzly swimming across directly toward them...    First guy ..."says with all of us here he cant do much"..   then another bright guy throws rocks at it.

1. My first thought for the guy who....... "says he cant do much with all of us here "   

Yup  you go ahead and test your theory out  while I walk backwards  and watch with interest  by the way are you going to be the first in line if we fight the  grizz.....????   

Plain and Simple   ...    nothing like pissing off a grizzly bear when all you have is a rock in your hand........    and few to spare in your head !!!

I've heard and seen some some stupid things but a few of these guys take the cake

Video 2   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ny3O_EpgJY

Another grizzly this time a cub   but big enough that I get out of the area     whats with these guys throwing rocks  ???   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:04:07 PM by flyguy1 »

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »

Plain and Simple   ...    nothing like pissing off a brizzly bear when all you have is a rock in your hand........    and few to spare in your head !!!

Ah yes Alaska where almost 99% of it is like a fishable salmon fishery except near  a few places like Kodiak Island and the nature preserves and also the wildlife parks. Unlike Vancouver where its like 4-5% and the rest is ...... hush, hush, SEEEEECRET.
lol. I don't know what river that is but its probably Kenai it's one of the more popular fishing spots, its kinda like fishing the Fraser and you generally have a low guard there. So I am not surprised that happened. Most of the time the guide I go with we have bangers or a fence and the standard fire arms.
But most of the time, the locals and the guides only fish a small window in the winter during salmon returns, it allows the bears to do their thing so the conflict is minimal.