Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big heap skywater on the way  (Read 6443 times)

clarki

• Old Timer

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Big heap skywater on the way
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:04 PM »

A lot of rivers will blow out for sure.  Any opinions as to the likely condition of the Stave for Friday.  Is the lake and dam enough to damp out this system and leave it fishable?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »

The Stave is wider and a lot shorter than most rivers and usually does a good job of flushing anything out. Never seen it dirty before but I've seen it get high. Doesn't make it much different as the clarity is still good so you just have to adapt a little. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:59:42 PM by BCfisherman97 »

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »

I have seen the Stave color up a few times, and unfishably dirty once. It was an absolute monsoon, and even Hayward lake was dark brown. Must have been a slide somewhere up the valley. So it can happen. It remained a stained color for a few weeks afterwards, but the fishin was actually really good afterwards.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:33:03 AM »

I believe in the fall a lot of runoff from high water events is diverted to Alouette Lake and out down the Alouette River. They do have to pour water over the Ruskin Dam from time to time so take care.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

flyguy1

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »

They opened the floodgates at ruskin dam at abouit 10:00 am   the  Stave river is blown out.
You would need a boat to get to the toilet bowl as its almost impossible to cross the spawning channel. I've seen it worse but for the most part its not very fishable at the moment
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:59:38 AM by flyguy1 »

Zackattack

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »

I'd be surprised if noone got  trapped ..even if they have a warning system it takes a while to trek out of the eastside

sbc hris

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »

I believe in the fall a lot of runoff from high water events is diverted to Alouette Lake and out down the Alouette River. They do have to pour water over the Ruskin Dam from time to time so take care.

Water cannot be diverted to Alouette lake, Alouette lake is higher than Stave lake, and it drains into Stave via the upper powerhouse. Stave is a much bigger drainage than Alouette is. When I drove over the mouth of the Stave an hour ago, it was pushing out hard.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »

heavy rain heading for chilliwack late evening. the canal will be raging.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. 

I am uneasy fishing on the east side with a novice, so will probably stay to the west.  However, I have never fished that side of the rivber.  Does anyone have or can they create a map highlighting where it is safe to park and not.  Not a biggie, I can figure it out, but it would be helpful.  I tried using street-view but no luck.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:01:32 PM by Knnn »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »

I would just skip it for the next two days.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »

Yeah I know, unfortunately its the only none weekend window of opportunity I have and everywhere else will be well and truly borked!  I recognize that it may not be very fishable.  Thanks anyhow.

Drewhill

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:02 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. 

I am uneasy fishing on the east side with a novice, so will probably stay to the west.  However, I have never fished that side of the rivber.  Does anyone have or can they create a map highlighting where it is safe to park and not.  Not a biggie, I can figure it out, but it would be helpful.  I tried using street-view but no luck.

Cheers.

The no parking signs are clearly marked on the side of the road. Shouldn't be an issue seeing them although most guys seem to ignore them.

jeetS

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »

anyone checked the stave today?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »

Water cannot be diverted to Alouette lake, Alouette lake is higher than Stave lake, and it drains into Stave via the upper powerhouse.

ok thanks for setting that straight for me. I do know that the outflow from Ruskin is much stabler than it was many years ago. It wasn't uncommon for the river the rise or fall half a meter or so during the course of day. That doesn't seem to happen with the same frequency. Once in the early 80s after hearing reports of pretty good coho fishing and the river was merely a trickle and chum were stranded in several tiny pools. I moved dozens of fish to a shallow backwater before I was too exhausted to do anymore.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.