Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lack of Coho and Chum love  (Read 6547 times)

A Frayed Knot

Lack of Coho and Chum love
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

Went and tossed the fly today but I could not for the life of me entice a single chum and coho to take my flies, they sure loved roe and even wool, saw a nice chum and a couple good cohos a lot of risers including some late springs? They seemed pretty clean anyway when I watched them jump.

I tried egg pattern at first but the water was moving pretty quick even with the full sinking, I felt like it wasn't in the zone long enough for a worthwhile presentation. By the evening I tried a couple muddlers, which apparently i was terrible at tying them because they started to fall apart :P haha.
And by the evening it was getting dark so I tried a black egg sucking wooly bugger. I can honestly say I've never had luck with woolies so "meh"

Any suggestions?

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lack of Coho and Chum love
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »

Try gear ;D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »

Haha. I actually considered going out and getting a small bag of roe and bringing my gear next time, I want to at least bring home one fish for the bbq!
I was just hopinh to break in the switch rod, since its yet to get a fish...which could be why I am not catching anything! Needs that first fish funk :P
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »

Big black, blue, purple intruders. I hooked in to a ton of coho last weekend on big flies.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

I should have considered that. All my flies I have that are big "fuglies" i made for steelheading and most of the time just ignored the flies, I usually convince myself they won't work on salmon.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »

I should have considered that. All my flies I have that are big "fuglies" i made for steelheading and most of the time just ignored the flies, I usually convince myself they won't work on salmon.

Note the big ugly fly, my wife tied it and it was the winner last Saturday.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »

Nice! I plan to head back out tomorrow as I booked and extra day with the car (insured till 20th ???) I want to take advantage of it and try some of the intruders I had stashed away for winter steel season.
One of these days I am gonna have to get out there with a experiences flyer and get some bad habits I have fixed there is always something to learn.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »

no hard or fast rules, flytech's results are proof of that, but generally smaller flies and often rather drab patterns tend to work better for coho than large flashy stuff. Larger flies may work better when water clarity is reduced. Retrieved flies work better than flies on a dead drift or swung flies. The fly should be presented above the fish by a foot or 2.

I have found that  an olive wooly bugger will take both coho and chum. The body should be krystal chenille, there should be several strands of flash material in the marabou tail and it should have a cone head or a bead. KCKs will catch both as will rolled muddlers. I mostly use a slow strip and pause retrieve though some people prefer a fast retrieve and speed up the retrieve in the last 20 to 30 feet to encourage a following coho to strike.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »

I would suggest looking for slower water. That's where I have the best success with coho as it allows you to vary your retrieve speed and put smaller flies in front of their faces. In faster moving runs I usually use my gear as I prefer to strip flies for coho. As for chum, I would use large purple and pink intruders, these can be swung through the faster runs and work quite well.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »

I hit a few different types of water and pools but pretty much everything was crowded with drifters. Ending up driving and hiking down to the mouth to get a little casting in but I prefer to fish intruders and streamers anyway.

Had better luck today I decided to go straight up Tamahi, and it was pretty good day, 3 chum before I had to head back, good 4hrs out there.

I ended up using two flies today first two hours a sorta prawn pattern at first (orange and black) which got me one and a few strikes, and then I used a black and purple popsicle with some gold and silver tinsel. That got me two more almost 30min a part from each other.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:57:54 PM by A Frayed Knot »