Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluoro tippet to leader knot  (Read 8828 times)

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Fluoro tippet to leader knot
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »

I've had a problem with blood knots snapping when attaching a fluorocarbon tippet to a regular mono leader fishing rivers for salmon.  Usually trout fishing stillwaters I use a small rolling swivel and have no problems but I find that this doesn't work well with weighted flies on rivers.  What knots do you guys find work best?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Fluoro tippet to leader knot
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »

Blood knot, lots of lubrication and slow tightening. If your fluoro curls at all you have done it wrong.
I also don't use less than 10lb fluoro for salmon.

bald_seagull

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »

try a bimini twist

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »

No love for the trip surgeons?  One of the ones I use for flouro.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »

I haven't bothered with the bimini because I want to be able to do quick simple changes while fishing. Maybe I just need to be more careful with the blood knot but I'll try the triple surgeon's too.

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

Try a triple surgeons... Fluro to mono is always going to be tough. Need to use lots of lubrication and make sure the knot seats well. And test it too...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »

double or triple surgeon work about the same in my experience. I have been using a 5 turn ligature knot (also known as a simple bloodknot) for about a year and it seems to be more consistent than those two.

If want a comprehensive review of knot check ou Yellowstone Angler's Tippet shootout http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

they picked the J-knot  as the best : http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/j-knot/ and also liked the improved blood knot - you just fold the lighter tippet material double and tie a blood knot with that.

Success varies with the type of line - both fluorocarbon & mono used. Some don't mate together as well some brands of line simply don't make for good knots. Older & cheaper brands of flouro often have this fault.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »

Tiny spools of fluro tippet materials are a complete waste of money IMO, especially for Salmon fishing and a lot of it ties shitty knots. Try the Seaguar Yellow label STS leader spools, 100 yards for 10 bucks. Great stuff and have never had a problem with a well tied double surgeons. Cheap enough you can just forget the mono and build you leader out of it entirely and you butt sections will last way longer than mono and are better in the sticks too.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »

Tiny spools of fluro tippet materials are a complete waste of money IMO, especially for Salmon fishing and a lot of it ties shitty knots. Try the Seaguar Yellow label STS leader spools, 100 yards for 10 bucks. Great stuff and have never had a problem with a well tied double surgeons. Cheap enough you can just forget the mono and build you leader out of it entirely and you butt sections will last way longer than mono and are better in the sticks too.

X2 That's what I've been using. Way cheaper

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »

I have never been convinced CFC line makes such a difference to justify the cost. At best the stuff has been improved over the years so that it at least is much closer to mono when to knot strength and strength per diameter.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »

I won't even tie fluorocarbon to mono. I don't trust it. When I have to use fluorocarbon then that is ALL I use in one long piece. If I need a tapered leader then I'll stick with mono. I'm more likely to change my line than change my leader. I use a single Clinch knot when tying fluorocarbon to a fly. An improved Clinch knot seems to weaken it. Fluorocarbon does not slip like mono and once it is fastened tightly it won't slip.

One thing to remember is that salmon are not leader shy. You can use 20 lb test for a leader if you want and it won't make any difference. The only reason to use fluorocarbon is for its sinking ability. It stays straight and it sinks quickly. It's perfect for fishing chironomids.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

Albright knot

wrap the flouro AROUND the mono. Flouro tends to cut through mono over time, especially so if your knots are not perfect. I use this knot all the time and have never had one fail me. Bonus is its also way easier and faster to tie than blood knots and I believe its breaking strength is in the high 90%

I also never use tapered leaders for salmon. Just one single length of mono because my leaders never run longer than 8', more typically 6' for stripped flies and shorter on swung flies
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:33:10 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »

Ive never used the albright for tippet to leader but I always use it for sink tips to leader and backing to fly libe.

Easier to tie then a nail knot and stronger.  I will probs now try it for leader to tippet.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »

Ive never used the albright for tippet to leader but I always use it for sink tips to leader and backing to fly libe.

Easier to tie then a nail knot and stronger.  I will probs now try it for leader to tippet.

I also use it when building my long tapered leaders for chironomid fishing, again I've never had one fail.

Always remember the thinner line is to be wrapped around the thicker line.

For sink tips take some 20-30lb mono and Albright it to the fly line then tie a double surgeons loop into the mono, now you'll be able to loop/loop connect your leaders by also putting a double surgeons into your leader. This is best because the heavy mono takes years to finally wear out or break so your not cutting back your sink tip very often
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/