Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White springs in Fraser  (Read 6866 times)

Silver

White springs in Fraser
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »

Do the majority of the late spring salmon migrate to the Harrison river? 

Magz

Re: White springs in Fraser
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »

Harrison and vedder have fall white spring returns.

Silver

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »

Harrison and vedder have fall white spring returns.

So I take it that my attempts to fish the Fraser above the Harrison mouth is pointless?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »

Whites go up the Thompson too

Silver

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »

For bar fishing from shore. Would the areas between mission and the Vedder be best?

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »

Have you tried Derby Reach? It used to be a great bar fishing spot from what I could remember. I haven't bar fished in years so I can't really say for sure. I can't think of anywhere else off hand except maybe around Island 22 but I know the farmers closed all the roads there because people were polluting up the area's and vandalising.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Silver

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »

Have you tried Derby Reach? It used to be a great bar fishing spot from what I could remember. I haven't bar fished in years so I can't really say for sure. I can't think of anywhere else off hand except maybe around Island 22 but I know the farmers closed all the roads there because people were polluting up the area's and vandalising.

Thanks for the advise. No, I have not tried these spots...but Derby Reach, Cattermole, and Barrowtown are locations that I am going to try next.
Nice to hear an association to a spot I have yet to try as I only have read limited info on these spots, as a result of my searching efforts.
A little help can help tremendously,  I wasted a whole Saturday last week because I was too far up river.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »

There is definitely a good portion of Whites go up the Harrison.
Is a good portion of Coho too.
Personally I wouldn't fish it above the Harrison but that's just me.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »

Yeah, unless you are a nature nut and can be entertained. It can be pretty troubling when you fork over cash for gas and what not for not much of anything.

Derby Reach was always a fun place to go, you used to be able to camp right by the river too.
Peg Leg is good too if you got a quad, rip up to the far end of towards harrison mouth is a nice spot you can walk it as well but its not much of a fun hike, waters nice and slow there though you can almost do the tradition float fishing like you'd do for trout as a kid on a small lake. Might be to slow for bar fishing, mind you when I think of bar fishing, I always uses roe + spin 'n glos lol. so you always needed good flow to keep the glo up and spinning.  :o
Deroche used to be great but again the general public farmers to blocked off a lot of the trails for similar reasons to Island 22, fishermen not respecting the property or the reserve.

Grassy Bar, I don't know if there is much fishing to be had there but it might be worth looking at its, kinda troubling though because its rather close to the Eco reserve, so I don't know if you can even access it.
Otherwise all thats left up in that area is Queens Island and Wellington Bars and right in the middle is the Island 22 Boat launch.
You may consider trying;

Brownsville bar (off scott road)
Coquitlam River bar (Under the Port Mann)
Two bit bar (Not sure exactly where but its in the Fort Langley area)
Mission Bridge
Pitt River

But be careful some of these locations require  a tidal license

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:53:58 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »

Derby Reach or Edgewater Bar used to be a favourite destination for company fishing derbies.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »

the Harrison has by far, the largest natural run of Chinook in the Fraser system. They are also all white springs though red springs do travel through to systems above Harrison Lake. White springs in the Vedder-Chilliwack were transplanted from Harrison stock as are many other the LMR and FVR.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Silver

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

I focused on a few areas above mission bridge...as I am geared for the faster current.

I went to island 22 (first time) and was discouraged to pay and walk past the gate to see the fishing bar...the pay station guide said fishing was poor and didn't think anyone was bar fishing?

Gill road bar was completely dead with only a handful of campers.

I was told that you can bar rig in the Vedder canal...went and found it extremely low, silty, and with no current.

Total waste of time today...

I don't want to give up for the season. do I need to focus only on the lower river as previously suggested, and I take it I will need the lighter bar rig gear? This is why I did not go to Derby or any location lower than Mission.
Aren't the lower areas less productive because the river is wider?
Are the springs done for the season?

colin6101

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »

Most of the people I have met who are bar fishing the vedder canal are chucking roe out on the bottom. At times this can be very productive and not much current is needed at all.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »

Springs shouldn't be a good while yet, usually they run right up to November but they start to thin out, I've heard of people catching in early December. I can confirm november for in the vedder, last year during November long weekend (US thanksgiving) we watched a couple springs get hooked up one by my aunt and two by a father son out of towners. This was at the camp run I think, I am more of a GCS person (ugh Geocaching was a horrible summer addiction)

I am assuming when you say fast current, you are using a 16-20oz weight?
I wanted to pick up bar fishing again myself but my reel is MIA and not sure my little bait caster would do much. Anyway, I think that would be  mostly fine for places like port mann or maybe around annacis island? Might have to go a little lighter but near as I can tell it looks pretty fast.

Also there was a post not long ago mentioning that fish are actually found reasonably close to shore. So I don't think width is going to be to much of an issue. Or I hope, Like I said I haven't done it in awhile I am just going on what I can remember so hopefully something in this rambling will be useful, Lol.

I wonder if you couldn't just float fish that part of the Canal you were at with roe dragging bottom? Like the old tried and true worm/float we all did as kids for trout, haha.

Silver

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »

Springs shouldn't be a good while yet, usually they run right up to November but they start to thin out, I've heard of people catching in early December. I can confirm November for in the vedder, last year during November long weekend (US thanksgiving) we watched a couple springs get hooked up one by my aunt and two by a father son out of towners. This was at the camp run I think, I am more of a GCS person (ugh Geocaching was a horrible summer addiction)

I am assuming when you say fast current, you are using a 16-20oz weight?
I wanted to pick up bar fishing again myself but my reel is MIA and not sure my little bait caster would do much. Anyway, I think that would be  mostly fine for places like port mann or maybe around annacis island? Might have to go a little lighter but near as I can tell it looks pretty fast.

Also there was a post not long ago mentioning that fish are actually found reasonably close to shore. So I don't think width is going to be to much of an issue. Or I hope, Like I said I haven't done it in awhile I am just going on what I can remember so hopefully something in this rambling will be useful, Lol.

I wonder if you couldn't just float fish that part of the Canal you were at with roe dragging bottom? Like the old tried and true worm/float we all did as kids for trout, haha.

Yes, I'm set up exactly like the instructional video...large spin & glows, heavy weights, oversize hooks and rig, etc.

I was looking forward to success with all of this heavy stuff...all sockeye season and up until now I have yet to see anyone bar fishing in the upper Fraser bars from shore.
I'm sure it's because I'm in the wrong spots at the wrong times...