Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White springs in Fraser  (Read 6865 times)

A Frayed Knot

Re: White springs in Fraser
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:37 PM »

I don't think thats it, I think the gillnet fisheries and all the pressure on the fraser if anything has spooked everything, the rain we have been getting off and on and especially this past weekend, has probably contributed greatly to fish just going hard to spawn. Water levels are a double edges sword, to low, they hold a lot and usually aren't much for biting. Heavy rain usually means, the levels are nice and high so they push hard to get to the smaller streams and rivers, its like the green light at a drag race. Haha.

I can't say for sure but thats my best guess. We used to camp for a weekend bar fishing, it was very hit or miss even at island 22, and we'd boat from the launch across and I remember it being kinda slow, its kind of the nature of bar fishing sort of like trolling you have to be completely distracted for it to work well, its a huge waiting game. All in all, even when we went for the overnight or weekend long trips, it was a rough go as well.

I hope this video will help ease the pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4EYAbI73hw
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 06:14:12 AM »

there will be few if any springs now above the mouth of the Harrison.Gill Road is beyond that. In my experience on both the Harrison and Vedder it tails off rapidly in the last half of October most years. Some years there is a push of fish in late October or early November.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Silver

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »

there will be few if any springs now above the mouth of the Harrison.Gill Road is beyond that. In my experience on both the Harrison and Vedder it tails off rapidly in the last half of October most years. Some years there is a push of fish in late October or early November.

Does this mean that the Springs are done, or that just above the Harrison?
I really want to have one last Hurrah on the upper river, with the use of my big river tackle.
I will soon go to Barry's and get geared for the lower...but hopefully not until I catch a spring with my current set up's...is my quest fruitless without a boat?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:02:28 PM by Silver »