Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning reel bird nest  (Read 10431 times)

KarateKick

Spinning reel bird nest
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »

Today my kid and I spent more time fighting bird nests than casting.  Sometimes after I cast the lure, the reel takes only half a second to explode into a huge mess.  Is this due to wrong casting technique?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Spinning reel bird nest
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:58:27 PM »

More likely you overfill your reel.

Tangles

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »

Can you tell us what setup were you using - rod, reel, line, etc.? Sometimes if your drag is set to the tightest it wouldn't spool the line evenly(spools more at the base of the spool than at the top) and if you don't pay attention that could result in a big mess of line. 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »

classic sign of over spooling...sometimes also caused by using heavier line strength above reel recommendation.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »

It could have been lots of reasons beside overspooling actually. Maybe your main line is too thick and you're using a small lure, so the lure is not going out as fast as the line. Maybe your line is too old and has too much memory. Maybe the reel is old and not laying the line onto the spool properly when you're retrieving it. It's difficult to diagnose the exact problem without knowing more.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »

if the line is old it could have memory and wont work properly
if the line is new and has just been put on it its likely over spooled and you just need to cut some off.
If you are using spinners allot you can get line twist and maybe need to change the line.

Casting smoothly helps and keeping an eye on the line before and after you cast etc will help and comes with practice. The reel could be part of the problem if it is old and needs maintenance, make sure nothing is bent and everything works properly, including the bail wheel.
here is a little cartoon to diagram some line loading tips:
http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Spinning-Reel-Line-Trouble-Free

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »

Is this a spinning lure? Is there a swivel between the lure and the line?

Zackattack

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »

I wish they had a best before / production date stamped on the package of fishing line  :)
I regularly spool 20lb Trilene on my levelwind but recently bought a pack from Canadian tire and had nightmares on my reel, tried to respool and same deal. Bought a different pack and was fine. I figured it was old line or something, Ill just blame Canadian Tire.

fish fishburn

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »

If you spooled your spinning reel the same way you spool your level wind then that's the problem.

Tangles

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

Just as Rod said it could be due to variety of reasons. Overfilled spool wouldn't be my first guess because when I had that happen It'd explode pretty much immediately and after cutting out some tangled line the problem fixes itself so you dont really end up wasting alot of time. That being said it be helpful to know what configuration you're dealing with otherwise it's a blind guessing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:26:08 PM by Tangles »

KarateKick

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

Both are spinning reels, and both are spooled to capacity.

I was using a plastic reel whose previous owner spooled it with a very thick line.  I had some tangling when I was casting a big salmon spoon, but things got worse when I switched to a 1/2 oz spoon.

My kid probably had a line suitable for the reel because a tackle shop person chose the line and spooled it for me (but I don't remember what line test).  However, he was using very light tackle, e.g., small spinner without sinkers added.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:01:31 PM by KarateKick »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »

sometimes using spinners it will twist the line as your reeling in. a good quality ball bearing swivel attached to the spinner will prevent that. this can help with eliminating birds nests.

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »

If it has monoline bad memory, run the spool under the hot water tap for a couple of minutes. It will straighten out a lot. If you are in a motorboat, let the line out with nothing on it. Gets rid of line twist.

barklee

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 01:59:08 AM »

when you go to the shop they spool to the max so that you get your money's worth, try taking some off also the cheaper lines may casue this problem as well, and like you said check the max lbs on the reel it self

when i was new i used 30lbs mon cheap on a reel with max lbs 15lbs and filled it very full had a lot of nests

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »

As others have said make sure you did not overspool the reel. Make sure it is 1/8 of an inch or so BELOW the max capacity.

Now check on the side of the reel and see what LB test they reccomend. It'll say like 8/140, 10/110, 12/90 or something like that. So in this case you should be using 8-12 LB test for decent line capacity and casting performance. If you are using too heavy of line you will get minimal line on the reel and poor casting performance.

ALSO you should be using line emant for spinning reels like Berkley XL is a good choice. If you use a stiffer line meant more for baitcasters line Maxima UG you will have issues.

AND I find I try to wind the line onto my spinning reels the same way it comes off the spool (working with the memory it already has). You will have to wind your reel a bit, study the way your reel is turning, now look at the spool, you should be able to figure it out.

I have several spinning reels and use Belkley XL in 6lb for trout and usually 12 LB for salmon with no issues.