Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148173 times)

TheLostSockeye

the river was blown out completely today. less than 6 inches visibility. saw some full grown trees float by that created loud noises from the branches getting ripped off.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Coho Salmon season in the Vedder is now over for 2014.

clarki

• Old Timer

I wouldn't call it "blown" in the upper river. I purposely fished the upper to get above the slides. Water had 18" vis, maybe more.

The challenge wasn't the visibility, but more so finding soft water out of the torrent where the fish would be holding.

No salmon caught, but did catch my biggest rainbow out of the river, a 17" clipped.

Walleye76

Coho Salmon season in the Vedder is now over for 2014.

??? Your referring to the blown out river here I'm assuming?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

??? Your referring to the blown out river here I'm assuming?
In the olds days we had good fishing well into December on the Chilliwack Vedder but now it starts to taper off in the first week of November, for fresh fish anyway. The good part is, the majority of long liners will have moved on then too and the chinooks they were having lots of success with are now over, of course the high water of late in the Canal helped too.

Dave

• Old Timer

In the olds days we had good fishing well into December on the Chilliwack Vedder but now it starts to taper off in the first week of November, for fresh fish anyway. The good part is, the majority of long liners will have moved on then too and the chinooks they were having lots of success with are now over, of course the high water of late in the Canal helped too.
Bang on Chris. I remember fresh coho in the lower river in December ... often you were not sure at first if you had a bright coho or a small steelhead on :)  But, some good news ... there is a lot of lower river off channel habitat recently created by DFO, with the goal of bringing back that late run coho component, as well as creating safe (from high water events) spawning areas for chum and pinks. The even better news is this recruitment will be wild fish, or at least as wild as Vedder coho can be ..

BNF861

• Old Timer

Maybe its just me but the last couple years I have seen more coho around later than I am used to.

This one surprised me on January 1st this year. Was thinking steelhead until I got it in for a look. Latest I have ever caught a coho on the Vedder.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:19:48 PM by BNF861 »

swimmingwiththefishes

I got a few beauties last mid-december in the lower. All wild. So maybe they are coming back.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Does anyone know what the river looked like this afternoon?

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

jeff

I was there till 4pm and it still wasn't great.
Enjoying the water..........

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Ok thank you.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Maybe its just me but the last couple years I have seen more coho around later than I am used to.

This one surprised me on January 1st this year. Was thinking steelhead until I got it in for a look. Latest I have ever caught a coho on the Vedder.

Years ago I got one like that in January and also 2 bright chum in the same month that I thought were steelhead too, for a few seconds especially when I saw a bright flash.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Lets see who reports the last coho of the season, a bright one that is, from the Chilliwack Vedder system.

DanL

• Old Timer

As of dusk water clarity was surprisingly good. Probably almost 2 feet. Level still very high but dropping

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Be careful with those late coho.  They come in clean but shortly after giving them the rock shampoo, they turn very dark with meat like a boot coho.  That's why I rarely keep any coho after November.