Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best snagging day ever!!!!!  (Read 30820 times)

slaydown

Best snagging day ever!!!!!
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »

Now that I got your attention I would like to voice an opinion.
There is a group of elitist fisherman on here who through their own ignorance spread nothing but negativity. I am so tired I the same thing year in year out. I'm going to say the infamous word FLOSSING and what it means to me. When stocks permit I love getting out on the mighty Fraser to bottom bounce,BUT I restrict this to the Fraser and the Fraser alone. I have been doing this since a young boy and hope to do it with my son one day. Although I have had a few negative experiences they are far outweighed by positive. Most people out are nice and friendly and there for the same reason to enjoy the outdoors and perhaps catch a fish.
Now here's a little background info on me. I fish like a mad man. I fish the ocean extensively, steelhead numerous rivers and fish lakes too. I catch salmon,trout, halibut,cod,prawns,crab,crayfish and the list goes on. Each fishery requires different methods of attack.
Here's some things I don't do. I will not target wild endangered or at risk species for catch and release. Why hook,play and stress a fish out just to release? Sturgeon, wild steelhead on the Thompson etc... But hey that's my opinion and I don't judge others that do, why? Because that would make me look like a self riotous loser. To each their own and as long as the powers that be say it's ok all the power to you. I know a lot of the elitist like to participate in a few of those fisheries.
I keep hearing the economic argument and how it doesn't make sense to drive all the way to get two sockeye. Well guys I just got back from an ocean fishing trip that cost 6 grand and you know what we brought back maybe 600 worth of fish. I'm not a mathematician but those numbers don't add up haha. It's not about money and when is it doing something you enjoy?
I don't want to single one guy out because there are many that like to push their negative agenda but Chris Gadsden can I ask you a question. When you hunt do you use a rifle and scope? Shooting an animal like that might not qualify as sporting. In your logic of sporting you should be using a bow and arrow. And you mentioned the natives dip netting in the rapids of the canyon? Although that may not be sporting to some I would love to be able to do that and fill my freezer. It sounds like a blast.
As for this fishery encouraging snagging on more fragile systems that is bunk. Losers will snag fish no matter what and I have found that positive information goes along way to some peoples ignorance. You trolls should just stay off the forum and keep your negativity to yourselves. Most guys on the river bottom bouncing are top rods that fish just like me but stay in the shadows because of you beaks.  This is a BC resource that is abundant this year so let's all enjoy it, have fun and spread some positive energy. I know my post is somewhat negative so  it counter to what I just said but this is something that needed to be addressed.
Now let the elitist floodgates open :)
Cheers.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Best snagging day ever!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

3 posts, and this topic?

Smells like bait to me... :(

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »

so.......did you get your 2 sockeye.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »

You trolls should just stay off the forum and keep your negativity to yourselves.

How ironic. Maybe you should learn to take your own advice.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »

How ironic. Maybe you should learn to take your own advice.
Oh no big fish came out of his cave watch out !

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »

Bunk? I see it on the Stave and Vedder rivers, I have found betties and some what shorter leaders on smaller creeks that I will not mention on here. As for flossing do we really need twenty threads about the same thing? Bundle them together  and put a warning label on  them :) With that floss away :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:29:36 PM by Rantalot »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

The topic as a whole for and against is just such a yawner... The horse has been beaten to a pulp.

And if you're trolling I'm sure you'll get some to bite, gets'em every time.
always a student

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »

Now that I got your attention I would like to voice an opinion.
There is a group of elitist fisherman on here who through their own ignorance spread nothing but negativity. I am so tired I the same thing year in year out. I'm going to say the infamous word FLOSSING and what it means to me. When stocks permit I love getting out on the mighty Fraser to bottom bounce,BUT I restrict this to the Fraser and the Fraser alone. I have been doing this since a young boy and hope to do it with my son one day. Although I have had a few negative experiences they are far outweighed by positive. Most people out are nice and friendly and there for the same reason to enjoy the outdoors and perhaps catch a fish.
Now here's a little background info on me. I fish like a mad man. I fish the ocean extensively, steelhead numerous rivers and fish lakes too. I catch salmon,trout, halibut,cod,prawns,crab,crayfish and the list goes on. Each fishery requires different methods of attack.
Here's some things I don't do. I will not target wild endangered or at risk species for catch and release. Why hook,play and stress a fish out just to release? Sturgeon, wild steelhead on the Thompson etc... But hey that's my opinion and I don't judge others that do, why? Because that would make me look like a self riotous loser. To each their own and as long as the powers that be say it's ok all the power to you. I know a lot of the elitist like to participate in a few of those fisheries.
I keep hearing the economic argument and how it doesn't make sense to drive all the way to get two sockeye. Well guys I just got back from an ocean fishing trip that cost 6 grand and you know what we brought back maybe 600 worth of fish. I'm not a mathematician but those numbers don't add up haha. It's not about money and when is it doing something you enjoy?
I don't want to single one guy out because there are many that like to push their negative agenda but Chris Gadsden can I ask you a question. When you hunt do you use a rifle and scope? Shooting an animal like that might not qualify as sporting. In your logic of sporting you should be using a bow and arrow. And you mentioned the natives dip netting in the rapids of the canyon? Although that may not be sporting to some I would love to be able to do that and fill my freezer. It sounds like a blast.
As for this fishery encouraging snagging on more fragile systems that is bunk. Losers will snag fish no matter what and I have found that positive information goes along way to some peoples ignorance. You trolls should just stay off the forum and keep your negativity to yourselves. Most guys on the river bottom bouncing are top rods that fish just like me but stay in the shadows because of you beaks.  This is a BC resource that is abundant this year so let's all enjoy it, have fun and spread some positive energy. I know my post is somewhat negative so  it counter to what I just said but this is something that needed to be addressed.
Now let the elitist floodgates open :)
Cheers.
That's OK at 71 I have seen and heard it all, not offended at all. ;D

Read all my posts on this topic over the years, you most likely have and it will cover all your questions and remember it was Pete, I and a few others from the FVSS that got this activity going years ago, enjoy and you owe us a few Tims. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

Oh and last post on this topic, for this year, back to the FF debate.
 ::) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:46:58 PM by chris gadsden »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »

Your post is self righteous. Yet you use it as a weapon in your post. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and we don't always have to agree. If you bottom bounce that's your choice, and we still dont have to like it. I have bottom bounced and caught a 20lb spring, I didn't know any better at the time. I see all of this helping the economy move along, lots of lost tackle... ;) I'm not going to hold BB against them though.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »

Most guys on the river bottom bouncing are top rods that fish just like me but stay in the shadows because of you beaks. 

Could'nt of said it better. Thats why lots of people don't bother posting anymore. Just a waste of time and energy.
Just a reader and occasionally commenter now and thats all you get.

Tenz85

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 05:10:26 AM »

Being a newer rod, I hear the chilliwack used to open for cultus sockeye before the run size decreased. Has much talk been done about boosting the sockeye stocks for cultus or other system to reopen tributary fisheries for socks which could possibly amend and/or or alter the current regs on flossing?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:14:39 AM »

Cultus Lake sockeye have never been open for retention.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 07:49:52 AM »

I don't post when I go to Costco and buy Halibut. Why should these clowns post about flossed fish?
This forum is for fishing.

TNAngler

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:57:32 AM »

Just like all types of fishing, there are those that BB, do it right and IMHO don't snag.  There are others that fish unethically.  Granted, for BB, the number fishing unethically is probably higher than most other methods.  I have seen unethical bar fisherman, fly fisherman, you name it, and plenty of unethical bottom bouncers.  My family and I have refused to fish with people who we consider to be fishing unethically.  Many on here like to group all BB together assuming everybody fishing like that is the worst, that we all condone everybody who bottom bounces and their methods, that we condone bottom bouncing with long leaders in any river.  In my opinion, if someone goes to a smaller river and fishes using long leaders and the same method, they are idiots.  Every fish, every system requires its own method.  I grew up in Washington fishing the Nooksak, bottom bouncing with a little bit of pencil lead, a foot or two of leader with a dick night on the end.  Coho and Chinook used to absolutely kill it.  We have modified our methods for the Fraser but that is still how I enjoy fishing.  I find bar fishing boring as all get out and would choose just about any other type of fishing before that.

The fact remains that in the dozens or hundreds of fish I have caught or our boat has caught over the last number of years, the number that are caught outside the mouth can be counted on one hand, a fact that all the self righteous on here haven't been able to match with saying we are snagging them.  Or they say that we just happen to snag them in the exact same spot in the mouth 95% of the time.