Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much to tip on a guided fishing trip?  (Read 7672 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
How much to tip on a guided fishing trip?
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:52 PM »

Just curious how much ya'll tip on your guided fishing trips? Do you use a % of the bill? Does it depend on how many fish you get into?

Late August I'll be going on a day guided trip on the Fraser. It'll be the 3rd time we will be going out with this paticular guide. He is fully licensed but gives us a good cash price.

The first time we went out we got into lots of salmon and sturgeon and tipped $50. The 2nd time we caught zip all day and still tipped $50.

I know by restaurant standards (15% or so) this would be a crappy tip. However I reason that we are paying cash (I sure not claimed on his taxes) and the trip is pretty expensive and we can't really afford to be tipping big :o The crew I go with are just regualr working guys with kids, mortgages, bills, etc. We have to scrape our funds together just to afford to get out in the first place, let alone add a tip to the total. That beings said, we have always tipped something.

Just wondering if we're tipping about right, or way low, etc. I'll be honest I generally hate tipping!! I tip when eating out to avoid awkwawardness/looking cheap, but I hate paying an extra 15%-ish just so someone can bring me my food/drink. I never tip taxis etc, I don't know where this custom started??? I have started tipping the guy who services my reels just becasue he does such an awesome job and gives me a good deal.

Anywho, when it comes time to pay this fishing bill we will again eb faced with the inevitable moment of....sooooo...how much should we tip guys?

vandenhooff

Re: How much to tip on a guided fishing trip?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »

We tip 10-15% just like in restaurants.

Fishawn

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »

I tip 20% for good service. Split 4 ways, it's not too bad.

Say you're paying 700 for your cash trip, that's only $35 a head on top. Not too bad for 8 hours of entertainment. Guiding is pretty hard work, I'd imagine.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »

Thanks for your input guys. I think I just fundamentally hate tipping lol!! ::) When we go to Mexico etc I am a pretty generous tipper. I have been told the avergae resort wage is in the ballpark of $150 USD/month. These people simply rely on tips to support their famalies. So we tip the maid, bartender, etc all the time.

Not to turn this into a rant but...it seems we have taken tipping too far. I remember last year my wife and I took my parents and sister out for a night to the Giggle Dam in Poco. After our tickets + drinks the bills was close to $100/person. Not too bad for a hilarious night and pretty good meal. BUT, they added an a-u-t-o-m-a-t-i-c gratuity of 20% to the bill!!! :o WFT?!!? So we are talking an extra $100 here. I complained and had the tip adjusted to $50. I mean, we already paid a fair price for the ticket, premium price for the drinks etc. I thought an automatic 20% on top of the bill was pretty bold. Maybe I just don't get out enough.

I remember years back when I lived in Japan for 4 years teaching English. There you basically don't tip anyone - ever. It was great! And by and large you got way better service there in restauants, etc than you would get here. It was hard moving back to Canada and tipping 15-20% just to have a server plop a plate and beverage in front of you and later the bill.

Back on track to tipping one's fishing guide. IMHO it is a bit silly to tip a guide another 20% or whatever esp on a cash deal. That being said, he is a fantastic guide and all around nice guy, we've tipped him before and we will again. I'll try to scrape together an extra $100 or so amongst our group. I think it's stupid but just like going out for dinner...do you want to look like a cheap douche? I don't, so, reluctantly, I tip.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:21 AM »

Tipping is taken for granted these days. Tipping used to stand for "To Ensure Prompt Service". These days tips are expected regardless of service. Two weeks ago I was in a restaurant, after I was seated I had to wait 15 minutes before I got a menu. I was just about to leave when the waitress finally got around to bringing a menu. Service was slow. I had to ask another waitress for a coffee refill. I left without leaving a tip.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »

I hear ya! Some buddies and I ate at a golf course the other week after our round and the service sucked big time and the food wasnt much better. It took some convincing on my part but we all didn't tip a cent. Our waitress seemed quite shocked when we didn't tip her, I'm guessing she is used to getting tips regardless of whether she provided good service or not. Not from this guy!

Fishawn

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:01 AM »

Look, spawn sack, if you "think it's stupid," or "a bit silly" to tip, then don't do it. No one is putting a gun to your head pal. My friends and I aren't rich, but the way I see it, if I can afford to go on this trip, and the service has been outstanding, I tip well.  That's just me. Remember, you're the one who asked.

Don't tip just because you don't want to look like a "cheap douche"

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:04 AM »

If you're going with the same guide again, he is probably overall satisfied with rate he is charging you and appreciative of the tip you have been providing thus far.

He recognizes that the amount you tipped him is based on his hard work and other measures.  Demonstrated by you tipping whether you caught fish or not.  Trust me, he noticed that.  The tip was based not on catching fish but  his commitment to doing everything it takes to have success.

Keep doing your thing.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »

A lodge up north suggests $40 - $60 per person per day for their guides. 

wonder

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »

Most guides only make about 200 of the 800 they charge, they also usually are up getting everything ready by 4am, bringing their own bait, rods, and tackle. Depending on length of the trip your guide could be working a 12,14 or more hour trip works out to less than 20$ an hour. a lot of them rely/hope for good tips. I'd say 10% bare minimum, a lot more goes into guiding a fishing trip and finding fish than bringing a plate to a table
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:49:55 AM by wonder »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »

I usually shoot a sturgeon guide an extra 100$,Just seems like the right amount ?

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »

I tip 20% minimum. Cash deal or not. So long as the attitude and effort are there with good opportunities given you by the guide, they deserve it. That's not to say I don't occasionally give more or a gift suited to them on top of that, but if I am guided I budget for the minimum 20 % on top of guiding fees.

Cheers!
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »

I'm with you Rantalot. Last guided sturgeon trip I took. $100 tip.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »

It's a service industry.
I have tipped between $0 and $600 depending on quality of service and outcome ($600 was a fish of a lifetime under special circumstances).

Fishawn

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »

This discussion makes me want to go home and watch Reservoir Dogs!