Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much to tip on a guided fishing trip?  (Read 7675 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: How much to tip on a guided fishing trip?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »

Thanks for the discussion guys! (Fishawn...not so much). Our group likes this guide a lot and we want to keep him happy and go out with him year after year. Maybe even again in the fall if we can afford it. We've decided that The $50 we tipped on the last two outings was probably a little on the cheap side, and this time we'll budget for a $100 tip. I know the guide will give 100% effort, so Im not learey of adding the tip into the money pile before we set foot on the boat. Ill keep a bit of extra cash aside just in case we have a day beyond all expectations, but if it's just another solid day on the river, whether we catch fish or not, we are comfortable with cash price + $100. ThaNks again guys.

Fishawn

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:40 PM »

Haha. Spawn Sack, (Mr. Pink) you're welcome.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

No fish = no tip. I didn't pay for a sightseeing trip! Got skunked on my stag party charter, best man covered the tip but I said he should have thrown the captain overboard instead. Agree?
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »

I agree with that, I've been on 2 charters in my life. Both with bon chovy. We didn't catch anything not even a bite. So I didn't tip because 700$ is a pricey sightseeing bill.
No fish = no tip. I didn't pay for a sightseeing trip! Got skunked on my stag party charter, best man covered the tip but I said he should have thrown the captain overboard instead. Agree?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »

While $500 to $800 is a good pile of money for most people - kind of hard to think you have to tip on top of that - expecting to catch fish in order to make the tip kind of says such people don't understand fishing. Not even the best can always connect. Kind of an interesting topic though - whose paid big $ for a top notch guide to get skunked? Happened to me out of Ucuelet. I also paid $500 for a drift trip on the Saugeen River in Ontario said to be the best smallmouth base river in the world and caught one fish at the end of the day. Lost a nice one plus a tidler mid-afternoon. The guide - who is very well known had promised me lots of action bellowed "yes - I won't get skunked!" when I brought the little guy in. It was kind of embarrassing and not that professional in my view. However I tipped him anyway as I had a great trip down the river and it seemed clear conditions just were not at all favourable that particular day. Overall my experience with guides and charters is they generally aren't worth the money and I've also done better just by doing research before I fish a new piece of water.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.