Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: went fishing off ambleside  (Read 12318 times)

Whopperman

went fishing off ambleside
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »

So the previous thread got locked, not sure why I guess too many people were off topic. Anyhow I digress.

Fished for 3 hours, had a nice time in the rain, quiet, not a lot of other people which I like. Couple bites, nothing hard, caught a starfish, didn't know if they were legal to keep there so I threw him back (didn't have the regs with me they were in the car.) Saw some coho jump, got excited. Not much else happened. Fished a perch 2.5 buzzbomb then a 55 koho silver and blue and then an orange and brass kitamat 55 also. Bites were on the buzzbomb. I always have great luck with the buzzbombs there.

Also, to clear things up. I'm not that new I just don't post that often cause I don't feel I have too much to say that hasn't already been said. And because I could do without the crumby comments. And I'm surely not new to fishing.

BTW fished the two hours previous to low tide and the hour after slack.

Whopperman

Re: went fishing off ambleside
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

I guess I should add, I didn't see anyone else too proud there either. I saw some guys flyfishing as well, I left my fly gear at home though, I've never had luck there with my fly gear, even last year during the pink run.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »

So much for "I'll not be returning to this forum anytime soon." eh lol... ::)

Whopperman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »

Yea I had a crappy day that day. Once its out there on this internet thingy I guess thats it. Plus once I thought about it and then a few people wrote a couple other comments I figured it wasn't that bad. Still find that sort of thing annoying though. Just my opinion.

banx

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

try the koho "illusion" spoons in blue.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »

Thanks for the report Wopperman, is the perch the yellow and green buzzbomb?

Whopperman

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »

Yea the perch is yellow and green and I will fish just from the buoy and west. I have chest waders so its usually not an issue at low tide but you do have to be careful and not lose track of time or you'll be wet for sure,

Mr Z

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »

Not seeing many posts about Ambleside, this is either very bad or very good news  ::)
I'll head out tomorrow for the low tide and see how it goes.

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »

Dumb question:  Why do you expect better results during low tide?  I always thought high tide was better for fishing.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »

Its about accessing where the fish are, at the "drop off"

4TheKids

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »

It's slow. I got up at 4:30 this morning; fished from 5:30 to 11:30 but nothing. Only saw one taken. Even that seemed like dumb luck because it was caught in an usual place. Oh well, it was a nice morning regardless.

Mr Z

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 11:08:02 PM »

Dumb question:  Why do you expect better results during low tide?  I always thought high tide was better for fishing.

Yes like FOH said you can get closer to the fish. On low tide there is a large bar emerging you can reach with waders which is usually a decent spot to catch fish.

Damn... That's not the kind news I want to hear just before setting my alarm for 5am 4TheKids ;D

VA7DDP

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 12:47:44 AM »

Trolled the area yesterday, no luck sadly, but something did nip at our anchovy bait.

I did see one other boat pull up a nice chinook.

Might try this shore fishing opportunity sometime, customers have been telling me that large blue fox spinners have also been working  but as always the buzz bomb has been most productive.

Cheers,
Deven

Mr Z

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »

It turned out a good day after all. Landed 2 Coho, 1 wild(released) and 1 hatchery which came home with me to help me with the BBQ  ;D

In general not much action around me but I've seen a couple of other fishes landed.

ride604

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »

It turned out a good day after all. Landed 2 Coho, 1 wild(released) and 1 hatchery which came home with me to help me with the BBQ  ;D

In general not much action around me but I've seen a couple of other fishes landed.
Were your Coho from shore or trolling Mr Z?