Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: went fishing off ambleside  (Read 12374 times)

Mr Z

Re: went fishing off ambleside
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »

Were your Coho from shore or trolling Mr Z?

Shore with a spinner. Tho I've seen two other guys catching one fish each on the fly.

TimL

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 02:26:10 PM »

Was out there earlier this morning fishing from shore. Landed and kept 1 hatchery coho, another followed my lure close to shore but did not bite. Caught mine with a spoon (Gibbs croc HamChrom N Blue Stripe). I also tried the Gibbs Koho green scale but no results.
I agree that there was not much action going on though I saw a guy hooking 2 but losing both, another next to me landed (and released) a starry flounder.

bald_seagull

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »

go down with your tackle of spoons and spinners
pick #3 or 4 inline spinner (orange or blue trophy tackle most popular among fishermen i dont know about the fish) or casting spoon and give her cupcakes
I went everyday for 2 weeks straight and
got into my first bunch of sea-run coho must stronger than the great lakes variety.
some days the schools of fish bite somedays they dont but when they do everyone usually hooks up at least once.
Most guys are almost all using the exact same rig. I seem to do better with a spoon and no weight but i think thats because i suck at distance casting when i have a 3/4 oz pencil weight with a 5' leader attached to my baitcaster.
The local guys down there are great if you can be humble when asking for tips and know how to fish in sequence without casting on top of others lines.
Dont expect to go down and catch 10 but its possible to get multiple fish if you can keep em on the line.   

bald_seagull

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »

some things you gotta figure out on your own
some guys like to fish by the train bridge some on the bars
if you are unsure where is safe to wade across just show up and follow the crowd across and back
dont go rushing in as some spots are deceiving, i saw a couple people have water come down their waders last week   
i personally think the bridge or that portion right at is tough because the schools dont seem to come in that far
but some guys will fish by the bridge all day so they must come in there sometimes most likely high tide
go stupid early and watch for fish activity, seals, changing currents and seams in them because some places are safe one minute then are tough the next.

i dont like the idea of climbing down the rocks and falling my friend over tea kettle to land a fish and i wouldnt risk my rod or the fish by craning it up to the top either but thats just me
so i stick to the beaches or just wade in 

htdub

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

thanks for the info, coworker wants to go fishing, she's pretty new to salmon fishing. Might be a good spot to try.

fisharoo

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »

The large perch buzz bomb works great for me. Had to release two wild ones the other day!

fisharoo

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 07:50:08 AM »

joelj063, just depends on your casting range/technique. 1.5 & 2.5" work good in the shallows. if you are fishing a drop off you can go for the bigger ones, just make sure to reel in fast once you clear the drop off and get into the shallows or you will snag.

TimL

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »

Was there early this morning again- fished from about 5:15-8..no hookups unfortunately..didn't see anyone else with fish either. It also looks like feeding activity (at least at the surface) has died down quite a bit-definitely not the same as 2 weeks ago.

Mr Z

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »

what kind of spinner did you use thinking of going tomorrow

It's an old orange silver spinner I had from last year don't remember exactly the brand.

bald_seagull

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »

was able to squeek a day off work and a nice 27" chrome hatchery hen came home with me,
skeins are curing as I type. more fishermen than fish today though and the fish didnt seem to wanna come to the usual spots
they stayed out far. Got lucky that this hen crushed my lure on the first crank off the handle after a home run cast. After a quick battle she swam at shore so fast i thought she came off then the crashing waves made it real easy to finish her off. fished for maybe a half hr after left at 830 as ive been wanting to try and make some dog treats for my lil buddy. 2 hours later i have a couple hundred little fish balls and a few fish cakes to bake now.

Anybody else ever tried to make dog treats from salmon as the cakes didnt stay together very well? Didnt matter to the dog though.
All i did was bbq the fish, blend up bbq'd red peppers and carrots, meticulously remove every bone and mold them.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »

Anybody else ever tried to make dog treats from salmon as the cakes didnt stay together very well? Didnt matter to the dog though.

smoke them.My dog goes crazy when she smells smoked chum.

bald_seagull

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »

smoke them.My dog goes crazy when she smells smoked chum.

cool ill try it out

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

All i did was bbq the fish, blend up bbq'd red peppers and carrots, meticulously remove every bone and mold them.

Grats! Usually whisked eggs or mayonnaise is a good binder with the raw salmon, using some bread crumbs/dog biscuit crumbs(?) in there as needed until it starts to stick together and pull away from bowl. Should work. Cook as desired.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron