Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie to Vedder river. Need some advice.  (Read 6971 times)

shisamo

Newbie to Vedder river. Need some advice.
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »

Hi all.

I just started to fly fishing this year and mostly just fishing at lake. Now I could like to try fishing at Vedder River. But I dont have any experince about fly fishing at river so could like to ask every experience fly angler here for some help.
Recently I do have a 8wt dragonfly expedition single hand rod and reel with type 3 Full sinking line.
I did seacrch around most of the old post which do recommand using sink-tip type 6 line, and  even mention about multi tip system.
And some ppls even mention about jsut using a shooting head fly line with sinking leader.
So i could like to know is it multi system is the way to go or which way is better to start ? Of course budget is a very big concern for me as well.

Thanks a lot everyone.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Newbie to Vedder river. Need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »

The first major question is how/what are you looking to fish.

In a river I suggest going with three lines.  Number one is a designated floating line, which is the most versatile and useful line in terms of presentation techniques. 

Next I would use a slime, clear intermediate sinking line to get the fly just subsurface  Also works good in frog water.

Finally I would go with a sink tip fly line. The floating section "pulls" the tip up on the retrieve,  rising the fly up as well in the process (before it sinks again).  They also allow you to avoid boulders/submerged objects you might hang up on as only the tip sinks.

Now if you wanted one line, I suggest a rio versitip style of line.  You get a main floating line woth a floating tip and a various selection of different tips for different depths and scenarios.

For example my 8 # rig features a floating line, sink tip, and I have a slime line.  On a river like the stave, the slime line works well in areas lile the old boat launch or just downstream past the corner.  The floating line can be used for nymphing, streamers, and dry flies while the sink tip covers the deep streamer fishing.

shisamo

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »

thanks for the reply clarkii

I think I will go for sinktip fly line, so will type 6 sink rate too much for vedder river?
I know vedder river is a long river, but I think i will start at "canal" area and under the rail bridge first that were advice from other post that both are good place to start for a new angler.

So second question is, What kind of fly pattern are worth to try on this river?
I do have some olive bugger both with and without bead head. and other fly pattern do I need before i head to the river?

Thanks again

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:24:53 AM »

I think I will go for sinktip fly line, so will type 6 sink rate too much for vedder river?

T11 minimum

shisamo

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »

flytech.

But im planning using one piece sinking tip fly line. If using T-11 isnt it end up i will need to use multi-tip system?
Or is it possible I can use integrated shooting head fly line with some sinking leader that make from T-11 or high sinking rate sinking leader?
I remember I saw some video clip on youtube that some ppls using this kind of set up fishing at the river in the states.

Thanks for the reply

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »

If you want to do it on the cheap, just buy a floating line (line a rio mainstream) with a loop at the end and then buy a 10 foot piece of T11. Go to Michael and Young and they will make loops for you. That way you can fish a sink tip system, and a floating system with a long leader, depending on river conditions.

T# material is cheap, about $0.75 per foot. With this set up you have a poor mans versi tip.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »

I know vedder river is a long river, but I think i will start at "canal" area and under the rail bridge first that were advice from other post that both are good place to start for a new angler.

When are you planing to fish and for what?

A type 6 is too much for the canal except from KW Bridge up If you use a 6 you'll be snagging logs and woody debris.

Go to a fly shop like M&Y get some advice buy some poly leaders in various sink rates and go from there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

shisamo

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »

Sorry about didnt mention the information much.
Im planning to go vedder river recently around this couple month and target on chinook salmon or sockeye in the river.
Just went yesterday, fishing around the lower part of the river. Dont see any fishing around. Look like most of the fish holding on the mid or upper part of the river.

Ajransom,
Stopped by  sea-run and get a set of Rio outbound short line and 5ft extra super fast sinking polyleader when on the way back home yesterday.
Hopefully it will working out fine. But i heard this kind of set up need some time to get used for the casting

RalphH.
Will planning fishing around mid section around Vedder crossing at the river next week.
So around the mid section. What type of sinking rate will be a good starting point to look at ?

Thanks a lot for the reply again.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »

with sink tips you need to change tips to match the water fished. There is no one tippet that works better than others all the time. For springs you will need something that frankly will be more than you can likely handle with your rod unless you are a better than competent angler. I again suggest some poly leaders and weighted flies might be more in line with conditions unless you want to buy a versa tip style line for $160 or so.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Kevlar

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »

t14 and heavy dumbell eyes to get down deep!  Its a hard fish to target on the fly but if your willing to put in the time and search good holding water u could be successful. the water they like doesnt cater well to flies but with the heavy stuff u can get to them if used properly! Oh yeah and if no hook ups just fish longer 8)

shisamo

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »

RalphH,

Yes I did purchase something like what you did mention. I got a set a integrated shooting head fly line, and a 5ft extra super sinking poly leader.
But may be will get couple slower sinking rate polyleader later.

So about the fly pattern. What should i need to have in my fly box? I do have couple woolly bugger in different color with bead head. other than that which i can give a try?

Thank you so much

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »

You want to have several streamers and also a selection of intruders in your box.

Woolly buggers are an excellent pattern, and were originally tied to imitate hellgrammite back east but work well out here.

You also might want to get a few pink bunny leech patterns if you go later in the year for steelhead.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=35991.0

That is a link to an earlier post.  While those feature tied flies and recipes, it should give you an idea of what you can use.

Also keep in mind that a variety of different weights is a good idea in both sink tips and flies.

ajransom

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »

Casting heavy sinktips, and lead-eye flies is never pretty, but its essential to get down to the fish. Not much point fishing light gear if the fish never see your fly.

If you hook bottom every now and then, you know your deep enough (or slightly too deep). I like having a range of sink tips (T8, T11, and T14) in the same length, so my casting doesnt really need to adapt to changing tips.

These situations are one reason for spey rods being so popular - makes fishing heavy tips and flies so much easier.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:08 PM »

Shisamo, I have tried fishing the Vedder with a SH 8 wt and if you are above the rail bridge, the no 6 sinking line even with a weighted fly will not get you down deep enough unless you are in a back eddie or frog water.  The only time I started to tick bottom was with a 10 foot piece of T11 and fly with dumbbell eyes and as mentioned previously it weren't pretty.  You may have heard of the expression, chuck and duck?  GL.