Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good Chinook flies for the Vedder?  (Read 7801 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good Chinook flies for the Vedder?
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »

Just wondering if anyone can shoot me a fly recipe or two. I haven't had my spey rod out since winter and am going to get out a few times in the next week or so to work on my casting. Of course I am going to have a fly on the end and hopefully in the process of working on my casting I get into a spring or two!

Was looking through my river flies today. I have a lot of smaller stuff I chuck on my s/h 8 wt rod. Muddler minnows, mickey fins, pink flies, etc. Also have a good selection of gigantic steelhead intruders, some of which I'm sure would work for chinook.

I'm looking to tie up a half dozen of so basic, cheap, flies that will likely get beat on. If I were to head to the vice right now I'd probably just do some rabbit strip tails, wrapped rabbit bodies, and maybe a schlappen collar? This is more of my standard jig recipe (I fish a lot of jigs).

Admittedly I have never caught a spring on the fly :o Lots of white springs on wool, roe, etc.

If someone can give me some tips on good colors, and a basic "recipe" or two that would be awesome. I don't care if it's on a tube, shank, or standard salmon hook, I can tie them all. Also would prefer a fly that casts easily with not a lot of "stick" on the water (ie. I find flies with rubber legs etc a pain to cast...at least on the s/h rod).

mvelasco

Re: Good Chinook flies for the Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »

I'm in the same boat Spawn. Swung 2.5 inch intruders and Hoh flies with no result. It's really screwing with my head.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »

Yes, I've caught them on GP variations.  I've also caught them on coho flies (e.g. rolled muddlers).  One tip is to have a handful of smaller/sparser patterns on hand.  I found that a small GP variation on a size 6 - 8 hook was deadly on springs.  Of course, I ended up with a lot of bent hooks.  LOL.  I've never really been successful using large popsicle-like patterns for salmon.  Steelhead - yes.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »

Last year i witnessed a spey guy get one on black/red/purple popscicle.

Kevlar

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »

hot pink marabou with flashbou and 5/32 dumbell eyes have bin the easy to tie go to pattern for me, Cast, huge mend,let swing start on the bottom. Cheers! 8)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

Biggest problem getting Chinook on a fly is getting and keeping the fly near the bottom in their strike zone. Pattern can very from small to very large as long as its presented properly. I prefer something in the small to medium but tied on a strong hook

Whites are a better practice Chinook because there is so many more of them. I like using a chartreuse/white Clouser tied on something large like a size 1 or 2 Mustad 34007 saltwater hook and use large lead eyes to sink it fast and keep it down plus ride hook point up keeping you from snagging bottom (or fish). Hook needs to be stout enough to handle their brute force.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »

Yes - the whites are much more plentiful and much easier to hook.  But they also tend to be larger as well!  Just to wet everyone's appetite, here is a photo of a beauty red spring doe that I caught on the fly many years ago (I'm wearing neoprenes in Summer  :o).  This is probably one of my favorite memories - so much so that I currently use this as my photo/avatar.  This fish was caught on a size 6 green/black GP variation.  I also recall hooking reds on single egg patterns - tied with red yarn or a ball of chenille.  The rod is a Sage 896 RPL+ which has great lifting power, but is quite heavy by today's standards (right Hook?   ;)).

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:03:59 PM by FlyFishin Magician »