Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repairing pin-hole leaks in waders  (Read 8813 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Repairing pin-hole leaks in waders
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

The other day I was out practicing my spey casting. I did I s**tty cast and my fly hooked me right in the crotch! >:( The hook was just through the outer fabric and I hoped it would not cause a leak in the waders. I was fishing some pretty slow water in the canal and decided to squat down for a minute or so, submerge my crotch, and feel if any water was coming in.

At the time I thought there was no water coming in, however when I got home and took the waders off the crotch area was a little damp (no I did not wizz myself). :P Soooo, I think there might be a little water coming in. Oh an they are new Simms G3 waders - GREAT! :o

I am looking for tips to determine for sure if water is coming in, I do not want to start gooping aquaseal on the inside of the waders if there is no need. The little patch kit that came with the waders says to apply rubbing alcohol to the area and, if I remember correctly, the area in question will turn dark if it is leaking. Does this really work? I don't have any rubbing alcohol at home and don't want to go out and buy it it there is an easier/more effective way to go about this.

In my old Cabela's waders I had a few rips and it was obvious water would enter. I patched them from the inside with a patch and aqua seal and the spot never leaked. However in this case I'm dealing with a possible pin-hole leak which I've never tackled before.

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Repairing pin-hole leaks in waders
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »

Turn them inside out and fill with water to look for leaks?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »

Mmmmm....for this application I think this would be less than pragmatic...

The suspected leak is in the crotch area...so if I were to turn the waders inside out and fill with water up to the crotch the waders would weigh a LOT, probably too much for me to hold with out water bursting out and actually try to find the leak (if there even is one).

If the suspected leak was lower in the waders this might work.

An idea I had was to take an air compressor and BLOW air into the waders and have the suspect area under water, if bubbles come out you know you have a leak!! Basically like finding a leak in a bicycle tube.

Only problem is I don't have an air compressor or anything that will blow air with enough force to poof up waders. Plus might be akaward getting a "seal" on the chest of the waders to get enough pressure to blow bubbles in the first place.

Gotta be an easier way! If Simms say to use the rubbing alcohol method their must be some validity to this method, however I just can't see it working all that well.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »

Oh an they are new Simms G3 waders - GREAT! :o

I am looking for tips to determine for sure if water is coming in, I do not want to start gooping aquaseal on the inside of the waders if there is no need. The little patch kit that came with the waders says to apply rubbing alcohol to the area and, if I remember correctly, the area in question will turn dark if it is leaking. Does this really work? I don't have any rubbing alcohol at home and don't want to go out and buy it it there is an easier/more effective way to go about this.

If your Simms G3 is new,  Just simply sent back for a one free repair by Simms or call them first to be sure. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

If Simms say to use the rubbing alcohol method their must be some validity to this method, however I just can't see it working all that well.

If I had sunk several hundred dollars into a pair of quality high end waders ( I have G3 also) then I would also trust the repair recommendations of the manufacturer. 

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »

FYI you can buy rubbing alcohol at the dollar store. 

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »

Turn them inside out and fill with water to look for leaks?
I've used this method many a times to look for leaks in my waders. I find hanging the wader straps on hooks in the garage allows me to spend my time looking for leaks instead of struggling to hold up water filled waders.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

Not 100% sure it will work with seam leaks but pinhole leaks can be easily found by putting a flashlight inside your waders in a darkened room.

Turn them inside out first and mark the holes/gaps - patch with Aquaseal.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »

Thanks for the tips fellas!

LeapinThyee: the waders aren't technically new, I got them for xmas and have been out in them maybe 10 times. I would feel a bit douchey sending tehm to Simms for a warranty claim considering it was me who put the hole in the waders, not a leaky seam, etc.

And considering I am not 100% sure there actually IS a leak, I'd rather try and troubleshoot this myself first.

NexusGoo, I think the water method would work fine, however if I filled the waders to the crotch with water they would probably weight 100lbs! I think better suited for suspect leaks in the lower regions of the waders.

I think I'm going to try the following:

1- Take waders into a dark room, shine a flashlight from the inside, look for light.
2- If no results from #1, try the spray on alcohol method (what Simms reccomends)
3- If no results from #1 and #2 submerge the crotch of the waders in a bucket or something and feel for moisture on the inside

If no results from 1, 2 or 3 assume there is no leak and abort mission.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

Thanks for the tips fellas!

LeapinThyee: the waders aren't technically new, I got them for xmas and have been out in them maybe 10 times. I would feel a bit douchey sending tehm to Simms for a warranty claim considering it was me who put the hole in the waders, not a leaky seam, etc.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/support/repairs.html

FIRST 12 MONTHS
After 30 days, if you develop a leak in any Simms waders for whatever reason, the first repair is on us. Please get a Return Authorization number via the Simms Online Repair Center and return the waders to us with proof of original purchase. We will fix the waders at no charge and keep you apprised of the status of the wader via email.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »

Hey thanks! :) So it looks like since I am past 30 days, but under 1 year I could get a 1 time repair for free. Good to know. That being said I'm still going to try and sort this out on my own. It would cost a fair bit to ship the waders to Simms in the USA, plus I'd have to wait for them for a bit to come back (not a huge deal as I have a back up pair).

If there is a leak, and I can find it easily, I'll just repair it myself with aquaseal. If I can't locate the leak and water still appears to be getting in, I'll lsend them to Simms with the year from purchase.

Note to self: Do not practice a spey cast off your upstream shoulder when the wind is blowing pretty good downstream!! Otherwise you could get the hook in the crotch, back of the head, or other undesirable location :o

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »

you'll never find a pin hole by filling them with water. Use the rubbing alcohol method. Where ever the leak is it will appear darker
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vandenhooff

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »

I had leak in the thigh area. To make a nice round patch, one without corners that will get caught, I used a single hole punch and punched a hole out. The patch is so small, hardly noticeable.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »

First, are you sure it is a pinhole and not sweat/condesation?

Second if it is a pinhole use the rubbing alcohol method, and use aquaseal on it.  No need to patch a pinhole with material.

Drewhill

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

you'll never find a pin hole by filling them with water. Use the rubbing alcohol method. Where ever the leak is it will appear darker

Agreed. It will be really easy to see the dark spot where the leak is.