Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repairing pin-hole leaks in waders  (Read 8820 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

Re: Repairing pin-hole leaks in waders
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »

spray alcohol on them then look for the darker spots

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »

Another vote from me to USE THE RUBBING ALCOHOL METHOD.  There's even a video from Simms website on how to do it by just using a spray bottle to apply the alcohol.  If there is a pin-hole leak, a darker spot will show up as the alcohol evaporates.  I've used this method to repair my Simms Guide waders which are about 10 years old, and also on a pair of leaking Simms Headwater waders.  As of now, both waders are leak-free!  However, the inside of my Guide waders is completely dotted with aquaseal spots!!!  But they still work.  LOL.

Btw - I've got a new pair of G3's for X-mas from my wife and girls and am itching to use them.  How do you like your G3s?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »

I forgot to mention - the rubbing alcohol method to detect leaks only works on Gore-Tex.  This method will not work on waders made of other material - like the Simms Freestones.  It should work fine on your G3s.

I would recommend AGAINST filling the wader up to the crotch with water, or using a hi pressure compressor.  The pressure could blow the seams - as well as your warranty.  Just my 50 cents worth.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:53:07 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 12:45:01 AM »

First, are you sure it is a pinhole and not sweat/condesation?

Second if it is a pinhole use the rubbing alcohol method, and use aquaseal on it.  No need to patch a pinhole with material.

Well, no I am not sure it was not just sweat/condensation. I just hooked myself pretty good in the crotch area and after having a good squat in some calm water (testing for a leak) I thought the area in question was a bit damp on the inside when I got home. It's possible I just didn't shake off the old dew worm well enough when I bled the lizzard earlier on shore ???

My plan is to take a bucket/sink/whatever with water in it and submerse the crotch area in water for a while and see/feel if the inside gets damp. If nothing, I'll let them dry out and later try rubbing alcohol applied to the suspect area from the inside. If still nothing I'll assume they are not leaking and leave them.

If I do detect a leak with the first method I am assuming I will also with the rubbing alcohol method. From there I'll put some aquaseal on the suspect area.

Thanks a lot guys!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 07:45:44 AM »

Honestly, I'd just go to a local drug store and buy a cheap bottle of rubbing alcohol and put it in a spray bottle and do the test.  It is very easy to do, and likely more accurate than submerging your waders in water and waiting to see if it gets damp.  If you don't see a dark spot/patch, then there is no leak.  If you do see a dark patch it will temporarily mark the spot until it completely dries.  This will make it easier to apply the aquaseal if needed (you can also apply it if the surface is still damp with alcohol).  With just water, you won't have that advantage (spot will not be visible), and you'll have to wait for the surface to completely dry before applying aquaseal.  But hey, do what you think is best.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:50:20 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

Wool

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »

Two suggestions, take them back and lie that it was the first time wearing them or use a flashlight in a dark room. ( try the flashlight first ).

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

So, I found the spot where the hook poked the outside of the waders (basically right in the nut sack area) and sprayed rubbing alcohol all around this spot on the inside of the waders. I monitored this area for several minutes and even resprayed the area just to be sure. I did not see any evidence of a paticular spot darkening suggesting that there would be a leak. Thus I conclude there is no leak. The area in question was on a seam, although I don't think this matters as far as detection goes.
Just to be 100% sure I am going to put this area of the waders in a bucket of water and make sure I can not feel any moisture coming through. I know this is probably not necessary/overkill, but I rarely if ever wade this deep so I would be unlikely to ever detect a leak in this area...until one day I am launching my boat in a lake or whateevr and wade nuts deep. If I remember correctly the SIMMS warranty for a free leak repair is only good within the first year from purchase. Just wanna be 100% sure before I leave this one alone. Thanks for all the tips guys much appreciated :)

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »

If in doubt put some aquaseal over the "pin hole"