Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Over-lining 4wt rod to a 5wt?  (Read 9998 times)

SkagitDreamer

Over-lining 4wt rod to a 5wt?
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

Hello all - I've only ever fished my Sage ds 490 with 4wt lines for both floating and sink tip. I'm changing my floating line (I believe there is currently a 4wt rio wf equipped) and wondering about over-lining to something like a WF 5f Rio Gold with the hopes of better control/casting in tight, sometimes windy conditions while hiking places like the skagit and nicola. After some reading I found some prefer to under-line but, doubt my skills could afford me proficiency as such (though the arguments for finesse presentations and less resistance in wind are warranted). Would over-lining kill the presentation of smaller fly sizes or limit then altogether? Would it spook fish more readily? Any suggestions? Though content with my 4wt line, I'm leaning towards change via a 5wt.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:51:33 AM by SkagitDreamer »
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Over-lining 4wt rod to a 5wt?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »

Almost all modern graphite rods can be over or underlined by one weight.
I haven't casted one but the info I have says that the DS is considered an accurate weight tool, meaning that it should cast a 4wt line 30-50 feet very well. If you are making shorter casts or feel that the rod is not loading properly with the 4wt line then you could try moving to a true 5wt line like the Rio Gold.
I'm not sure it will improve control and it won't help in the wind if you are overloading the rod blank.

Underlining is typically reserved for those making very long casts with a lot more weight aerialized.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »

Thanks, Typhoon.

Yes, the rod flings out the 4wt without effort. I definitely don't need to under-line then because I don't need that extra distance... maybe just a bit more snap in those required moments when I don't have much back-casting space or punching through wind. My next rod to replace this will be a quicker action one with modern composites but I'm not there yet :)

George Gordon Byron

Knife

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »

If I am fishing in tight places, I like to use a 5wt line on my 4wt Sage. I find it easier to roll cast with the heavier line.
 When looking for distance in open areas, I stick to the line wt marked on the rod. As for casting in heavy wind, the only solution the works for me is to go up to a heavier wt rod. 

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »

Makes sense. Thanks Knife. Think I'll try the 5wt line and see the difference. Can't wait :)

George Gordon Byron

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »

I've got two rods I am up lined on... A 4wt Redington and a 6wt LOOP rod, both perform exceptionally well. That's why they remain setup this way.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:41:38 PM by Flytech »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »

try looking into some of the dry lines that are half weight lines. I fish an Airflo Sixth Sense 4/5wt line on my 4wt Sage. proper 4wt line didn't load it properly at shorter distance but when I went to this half weight line it performed beautifully and I can also blast long distance casts when I need to without having to move down to a true 4wt line.

If you can get into M&Y with your rod then try test casting some lines on your rod and see what feels best. They usually have demo lines of many brands and line weights
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »

Thanks Hook. Yes MY fly shop is where I bought all my gear but I'm in kamloops currently. I was down there a couple days ago but time management isn't one of my fortés lol still, I'll check out wholesale sports. Really sounds like a similar situation and a great remedy lay in the 4/5! Appreciate this! Looks like tomorrow I'll look around and then secure a line... Really think it'll be a 4/5. Cheers!

George Gordon Byron

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:30:27 PM »

RIO has their Grande line. It's awesome, half size higher. So you would be 4.5 when you buy the 4 wt RIO Grande line. Check it out.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »

Woot! Thanks Flytech - you guys are a great help. Now I'm on a mission. I know the rio is stocked, not sure about the airflo. I'll let you know. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:49:58 PM by SkagitDreamer »

George Gordon Byron

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »

The airflo sixth sense i know is a lake full sinking line series (I have the Di5).

If they do make dry versions that is great.  I believe however that the airflo 40+ is a half size heavier.

And I wish Kamloops had a good fly shop...pain im the but when the products you want (wapsi) are replaced by super fly.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »

Hi Clarkii. Yes there is a floating wf sixth sense - the no stretch sounds great. And yes it sucks to go from good shops to the ones I have however, rio has a no stretch line I'm hoping they have here - think it's the perception line (edit). Great reviews but no half weights so it would have to be a full over line. Appreciate the help and info on the 40+, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:16:17 AM by SkagitDreamer »

George Gordon Byron

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »

Rio now has an intouch Grand. Here is the link.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/trout/intouch-rio-grand/

They have done this with the Grand, Gold, Trout LT WF and Trout LT DT

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »

Well, because of the good advice on the topic (the rio grand and airflo sixth sense, over-lining) I opted to over line with a rio perception - pushing the limits on my reel's capacity lol Ill have to try it and report back but thank you all again! What a great forum full of experienced and skilled folks who have a common interest. :)

It's not even on my rod yet hehe but here it is..

George Gordon Byron

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »

You'll LOVE having that connectcore over any other line you have used previously. Having a "no stretch" core on any fly line helps amazingly at feeling even the slightest bumps. I bought the Connectcore running line for my 8wt spey this past winter season and I could feel all the little bumps against the bottom or from any fish, I even caught a fish the first day using it  :D

I'm not entirely sure why you went with the Perception line but then again I'm not 100% up on all of their new lines...........yet
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/