Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Over-lining 4wt rod to a 5wt?  (Read 10013 times)

SkagitDreamer

Re: Over-lining 4wt rod to a 5wt?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »

Thanks Hook!

The low stretch was a big consideration for me and the two lines I researched both seem great, the rio being available. I can't wait to try mending or getting one on with a drifted nymph... The reviews are superb but hearing from fellow anglers like yourself are what counts. Fish on your first day? Grats :D

I may have to toss some flies in the Thompson tomorrow. :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:11:09 PM by SkagitDreamer »
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »

Thanks Hook!

The low stretch was a big consideration for me and the two lines I researched both seem great, the rio being available. I can't wait to try mending or getting one on with a drifted nymph... The reviews are superb but hearing from fellow anglers like yourself are what counts. Fish on your first day? Grats :D

I may have to toss some flies in the Thompson tomorrow. :)

Fish on my first day with an entirely new spey setup not my first time spey fishing (thought I should clarify)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »

Yes, first fish on new setup :)

I've never Spey fished so my tally is 0 period lol I'm envious of those that do - bit of an art

George Gordon Byron

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »

Ok got out and tested some roll casts, pick ups, double hauls and everything but drifting/mending due to the slack water I fished. First, I was concerned a full (4 -> 5) over line may be too much (I know some good suggestions for 4 -> 4.5 were offered) but it is bliss! The lil 490 seems to come alive with quick, precise casts - as if it had been waiting for a 5wt line. So far, it seems the best setup I've gone with. Second, the perception line sublimely improves all aspects of casting (I guess) due to lack of stretch. The result is better response and control, for me anyhow. Having no fish on the new setup, it's probably only fitting to do that on the Skagit, where the subtle improvements in mending, drifting, hook-ups and the like are highly anticipated based on my testing. The color system is alright, changing at 20 and 37 feet, and certainly made me aware of distance yet wasn't a selling feature for me. Overall, at this point, I'm very pleased with both the idea to over line and the choice of a low-stretch line. Thanks for all the help - this set- up suits my needs perfectly :)

George Gordon Byron