Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob Fisherman Looking for help and tips  (Read 9868 times)

00owl

Noob Fisherman Looking for help and tips
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Fraser River Valley. I grew up fishing in Alberta's mountain lakes and streams with both fly and spoon. I want to learn how to catch salmon! But I must admit, big rivers like the Chilliwack River, or the Fraser are very intimidating to me and I don't even know what tackle I need let alone what sorts of bait/lures work best.

The other day I tried to go out near Yarrow and see what was there, I managed to lose 3 hooks on the bottom of the river and made many friends amongst the local mosquito population.

I'm at such a loss when it comes to fishing these areas that I do not even know what questions to ask. Any advice would be nice. If anyone is interested I'd also love to maybe meet up and go fishing one day.

Thanks,
Clayton

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Noob Fisherman Looking for help and tips
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »

welcome, once you catch your first salmon you will be hooked. this time of year is not easy on the vedder. high water and not as many fish in the system as October and November. don't get dis curaged and keep trying. their is tons of great info on this site. these two articles should give you some answers to the questions you ask.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/float_depth_adjustment_for_river_fishing.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/short_floating_tactic_explained.html

00owl

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »

Is there anywhere that would constitute good fishing for this time of year? Or is it mostly all going to suffer from high water levels. I've heard that there is salmon fishing open in the tidal waters of Steveston, how is that?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »

people don't give up their spots on line. their are thousands of lurkers on this forum that contribute nothing so people keep quite about posting about their favorite spots. best thing is to get out their and try. they're will be plenty of other species in that area as long as the odd salmon. personally i would stick to the vedder and keep trying.

00owl

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »

Ok thanks! Much appreciated. I'm not used to there being such a huge amount of people around where I fish, this valley is so crowded :(.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »

yup, everyone in canada wants to be here. plane and simple. i cant blame them, we live in one of the best places in the world.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »

Hey 00owl, welcome to the forum. If you're planning on trying out the vedder again before september, make sure you stop at Fred's Custom Tackle. They will help set you up with the right stuff to put you in the right direction. This time of year the red chinook run isn't quite out of the ball park numbers, so you have to do a bit of walking to try and find a run where they are going to be holding. Try starting at the Train Bridge and work you're way up towards the crossing. There are quite a few runs you'll be able to access if you put in the boot work. Best of luck out there, and let us know how you do

Tight Lines
-NexusGoo

RyanB

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Fraser River Valley. I grew up fishing in Alberta's mountain lakes and streams with both fly and spoon. I want to learn how to catch salmon! But I must admit, big rivers like the Chilliwack River, or the Fraser are very intimidating to me and I don't even know what tackle I need let alone what sorts of bait/lures work best.

The other day I tried to go out near Yarrow and see what was there, I managed to lose 3 hooks on the bottom of the river and made many friends amongst the local mosquito population.

I'm at such a loss when it comes to fishing these areas that I do not even know what questions to ask. Any advice would be nice. If anyone is interested I'd also love to maybe meet up and go fishing one day.

Thanks,
Clayton

Rod has a great collection of videos with advice on all types of fishing.  Sign up, it's worth it.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »

I don't think the OP was asking for locations, more a general appeal for help on equipment, techniques etc. 

OOowl, I was in your shoes two years ago, only ever having fly fished in the UK and the river sizes, speeds and all the different techniques for all the different species at so many different locations can be overwhelming.  Just don't try too assimilate too much too quickly and trust that if you stick with this forum and stick with the fishing and are willing to put a little effort in it will all come together.  Because I think I understand where you are coming from, here is some info I think might help.

You already mentioned fly and spoon so I presume you do not need any help there.  You will probably just need to gear up to beefier equipment depending an what salmon you want to target.  For salmon on the fly your best bet, if you do not know how to use a spey rod, is to go with a decent 8 weight single, but you will see lots of different opinions on this.  A bit big for pink and sockeye (your 5-6 wt will work for those), perfect for coho and steelhead, ok but a little under gunned for the bigger chum and OK for small Chinook, but anything over 20 lbs and be prepared for long distance jogging.

So that leaves the bait road.  Without jumping straight into the deep end with a center-pin, your best and most versatile combination will be a 10-6 to 11 foot medium action rod (handles 12-20 line) such as a Trophy XL or Fenwick HMX, with an Abue garcia 6500 (level wind), spooled with 20 lbs mono, with 8-15 lbs leader depending on species and water clarity. Again opinions will vary, but i have experience with these and they work well for almost everything except big Nooks.

Note the level wind is trickier to use than your conventional spin casing reel.  expect lots of birds nest initially, understand the spool resistance as opposed to line drag.  Google is your friend.

Terminal tackle, will be a float, pencil lead or shot lead, above a black swivel/quick release, which is attached to a swivel 12-24 inches (max) leader (see above to your bait or lure of choice, as follows:

Size 1-4 or 1/0 - 3/0 hooks (species and water conditions dependent)

Egg loop knot to attach clumps of roe, or different colours of wool or in combination with roe.

Hook with other bait, such as shrimp, prawns, ghost shrimp, can be scented and coloured.

Single or multiple fake rubber eggs in all types of colours and scents, you can directly on the hooks, often with a touch of contrasting wool.

Colorado blades, hammered, silver, brass or gold, size 2-4.

Jigs, just big bright coloured fly's with a 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 weighted head.

pink worms, gooey bobs, spin and glows, combinations with prawns and shrimp, roe bags, garbage bags, it almost endless.

It's very important learn to Short Float, do not try to copy (as I did initially) the guys fishing in 4' of water with a 3 foot leader with 4-6 feet between float and weight (research flossing).  You should aim to have your bait (not the weight) approximately 1-2 feet off the bottom.  If your float or bait is dragging the bottom you need to shorten up.  Do not be afraid of going too short.  I have caught 10-15 lbs chum in 2' of water with my float sitting on top of the lead.

My recommendation, use Google maps to find likely looking places on a river like the Vedder.  Look up Keith Wilson Bridge, Peach Road, Lickman Road, Browns Road.   Go there and look where anglers are fishing and then just watch what people are using and how they are using it.  How they fish the river.  Some won't have a clue but you will spot the guys who know what they are doing.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  Don't expect everything to be given to you on a plate, but if you are polite and explain you are a novice and would appreciate some advice on how you set up your rod and gear, you find plenty of folks willing to help. 

Reading other article here you will find out how to check water levels in the rivers and, with time, how this impacts the fishing.

Please also read the regs and look up articles on how to make sure that you can catch and release fish with minimal harm.  Please do not drag fish up onto the rocks, watch it almost beat itself to death and then decide ohhh that's a Sockeye, not a Chinook, and must go back and subsequently turn belly up.

My recommendation is try to learn 2-3 locations on a river and stick with 2-3 set ups.  The easiest would be Colorado blades, jigs, wool and/or with jensen or mad river eggs under a float or try Roe.  Roe is messy and a little difficult to first learn on but is one of the most effective baits for most species.  Youtube egg loop knot.

There are probably a whole bunch or terms I have used that you are not familiar with, but youtube will provide most of the answers.

Sorry for the long and somewhat incoherent splurge, hopefully some of this will help

MODS - I REALLY WISH THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION WAS READILY AVAILABLE ON A FAQ OR FAQS SOMEWHERE.  I know there are good articles around, but for a novice they are not easy to find and digest.

Good luck and once you have digested this please feel free to PM me.

00owl

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far guys. I understand some of these words xD but as Knnn said: Google is my friend.

wonder

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 09:48:42 AM »

anything you're curious about type in the search bar of this site, good chance its been discussed on more than one occasion

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »

The Chilliwack River clean up is today. Great cause, good place to meet some anglers and ask some questions. I have friends I met at the first one.  :)
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

00owl

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »

Yah I saw that and I'd love to come but unfortunately my parents have decided to come visit this weekend so I'll have to sit this one out. Are there other river clean-ups through the year?

losos

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »

I don't think the OP was asking for locations, more a general appeal for help on equipment, techniques etc. 

OOowl, I was in your shoes two years ago, only ever having fly fished in the UK and the river sizes, speeds and all the different techniques for all the different species at so many different locations can be overwhelming.  Just don't try too assimilate too much too quickly and trust that if you stick with this forum and stick with the fishing and are willing to put a little effort in it will all come together.  Because I think I understand where you are coming from, here is some info I think might help.

You already mentioned fly and spoon so I presume you do not need any help there.  You will probably just need to gear up to beefier equipment depending an what salmon you want to target.  For salmon on the fly your best bet, if you do not know how to use a spey rod, is to go with a decent 8 weight single, but you will see lots of different opinions on this.  A bit big for pink and sockeye (your 5-6 wt will work for those), perfect for coho and steelhead, ok but a little under gunned for the bigger chum and OK for small Chinook, but anything over 20 lbs and be prepared for long distance jogging.

So that leaves the bait road.  Without jumping straight into the deep end with a center-pin, your best and most versatile combination will be a 10-6 to 11 foot medium action rod (handles 12-20 line) such as a Trophy XL or Fenwick HMX, with an Abue garcia 6500 (level wind), spooled with 20 lbs mono, with 8-15 lbs leader depending on species and water clarity. Again opinions will vary, but i have experience with these and they work well for almost everything except big Nooks.

Note the level wind is trickier to use than your conventional spin casing reel.  expect lots of birds nest initially, understand the spool resistance as opposed to line drag.  Google is your friend.

Terminal tackle, will be a float, pencil lead or shot lead, above a black swivel/quick release, which is attached to a swivel 12-24 inches (max) leader (see above to your bait or lure of choice, as follows:

Size 1-4 or 1/0 - 3/0 hooks (species and water conditions dependent)

Egg loop knot to attach clumps of roe, or different colours of wool or in combination with roe.

Hook with other bait, such as shrimp, prawns, ghost shrimp, can be scented and coloured.

Single or multiple fake rubber eggs in all types of colours and scents, you can directly on the hooks, often with a touch of contrasting wool.

Colorado blades, hammered, silver, brass or gold, size 2-4.

Jigs, just big bright coloured fly's with a 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 weighted head.

pink worms, gooey bobs, spin and glows, combinations with prawns and shrimp, roe bags, garbage bags, it almost endless.

It's very important learn to Short Float, do not try to copy (as I did initially) the guys fishing in 4' of water with a 3 foot leader with 4-6 feet between float and weight (research flossing).  You should aim to have your bait (not the weight) approximately 1-2 feet off the bottom.  If your float or bait is dragging the bottom you need to shorten up.  Do not be afraid of going too short.  I have caught 10-15 lbs chum in 2' of water with my float sitting on top of the lead.

My recommendation, use Google maps to find likely looking places on a river like the Vedder.  Look up Keith Wilson Bridge, Peach Road, Lickman Road, Browns Road.   Go there and look where anglers are fishing and then just watch what people are using and how they are using it.  How they fish the river.  Some won't have a clue but you will spot the guys who know what they are doing.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  Don't expect everything to be given to you on a plate, but if you are polite and explain you are a novice and would appreciate some advice on how you set up your rod and gear, you find plenty of folks willing to help. 

Reading other article here you will find out how to check water levels in the rivers and, with time, how this impacts the fishing.

Please also read the regs and look up articles on how to make sure that you can catch and release fish with minimal harm.  Please do not drag fish up onto the rocks, watch it almost beat itself to death and then decide ohhh that's a Sockeye, not a Chinook, and must go back and subsequently turn belly up.

My recommendation is try to learn 2-3 locations on a river and stick with 2-3 set ups.  The easiest would be Colorado blades, jigs, wool and/or with jensen or mad river eggs under a float or try Roe.  Roe is messy and a little difficult to first learn on but is one of the most effective baits for most species.  Youtube egg loop knot.

There are probably a whole bunch or terms I have used that you are not familiar with, but youtube will provide most of the answers.

Sorry for the long and somewhat incoherent splurge, hopefully some of this will help

MODS - I REALLY WISH THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION WAS READILY AVAILABLE ON A FAQ OR FAQS SOMEWHERE.  I know there are good articles around, but for a novice they are not easy to find and digest.

Good luck and once you have digested this please feel free to PM me.

Great post mate . I was in the same boat (still am) years ago and because can not spend  as much  time fishing as I'd like to I still ask fellow anglers occasionally for advice . Have to meet one that would refuse one when asked politely.
As for learning casting with multiplier ,it took my daughter today about 1 hour to get sufficiently proficient . She also learned to deal with bird's nest that will happen from time to time. By the way there are great videos on Youtube for anything you want to learn.
For egg loop knot I'd suggest double egg loop which will hold wool ,way better than single loop, plus roe . That way even if you loose eggs during the run your hook will always hold something for fish to nibble on.
If you go for multiplier reel imo low profile such as Shimano Curado is an excellent choice . Easier to hold ,lighter, has the same line capacity as round one and as much stopping power. I have both types. There also is one from Abu called Toro Winch.
Don't forget your wading gear as well since many times you'd need it for brook crossing or to safe fish releasing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »

It's difficult for a new comer to learn about salmon fishing in the Fraser Valley during this time of the year because opportunities are not that abundant. In two more months from now, you will be able to put most of the techniques you read about to work on all the tributaries of the Lower Fraser River (Chilliwack, Stave, Harrison, Chehalis, etc).

A box of spoons and spinners, and a spinning outfit can get you into many salmon if you are unfamiliar with float fishing for them. Simply find yourself a body of water that is not moving too fast, and cast and retrieve a lure early in the morning.

Lots of reading material available on the website as mentioned earlier. Here are some more links:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/chilliwack_river_fall_salmon_fishery.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/those_picky_silvers.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/10/15/the-pursuit-of-silvers-ends-happily/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/10/08/the-perfect-day/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/10/03/vedder-a-love-and-hate-relationship-again/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2012/10/01/low-water-does-not-deter-salmon-return/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/10/06/vedder-a-love-and-hate-relationship/