Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing for springs  (Read 18201 times)

SteelheadAdict

Fishing for springs
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »

Whats your setup for float fishing

For the past 2 years i have been fishing a 3113 and a hardy silex i am super happy with it and have not had a problem landing reds or whites with it i generaly fish 15lb maxima ultragreen mainline and 12lb leader about 16 to 18" of it to a 1 or 1/0 hook depending on the baits iam fishing. i am usualy fishing a 3ogram DNE float. I have thought about fishing 20lb mainline any thought's on it

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing for springs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »

I use 20 pound mainline and 15 pound flourocarbon lead for almost everything now on my pin. People may think it sounds overkill, but I land fish quickly and still get a hell of a good fight out of them without stressing them to the max. It gives me the ability to turn fish if they are trying to go where I don't want them to as well... can put the breaks on without having to worry about breaking off. The 15 pound flouro I use is around the same diameter as 10 pound test, so it doesn't spook fish.

I started running 20 pound main and 15 lead when I started fishing high gradient canyon rivers for steelhead which made me turn to heavier line so they didn't leave the run and go down cascades/waterfalls, etc. It seems to work well for springs too, allows me to move them off bottom, and some of the places I fish for them, it isn't possible to chase if they leave the run, so once again I can put the breaks on.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

Assuming you have a 3113MB, nothing wrong with the setup you describe though going a bit heavier on the line would not be a bad idea IMHO. A 3113LB would seem too light for springs IMHO. My dedicated spring/chum rod is rated 17-25lb  and I go 15 or even 17 for leader. These fish are no weaklings, so match the gear to the beast.

If 20lb mainline doesnt affect your casting distance too much go for it. Your leader will remain your weak point anyways but 20lb will buy you a lot more abrasion resistance and the silex has big line capacity.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:26:51 PM by DanL »

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »

yes an mb i think i will go up to 20lb mainline as i do have a large line capacity and 15lb floro may not be a bad idea

chronicfisher

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »

Sorry noob here but what happens if you run into a spring that weighs more then you line rating? ( ie 30 lbs spring vs 20lb line) never fished springs before hopefully will be able to land one this year.im currently equipped with a 25lb mono/floro coated main line was told I'm under gunned.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »

im currently equipped with a 25lb mono/floro coated main line was told I'm under gunned.

If you are using 20 lb leader and match up with your currently equipped 25lb main line.  You can land a 40 lb spring easy. So you are not under gunned...

chronicfisher

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »

If you are using 20 lb leader and match up with your currently equipped 25lb main line.  You can land a 40 lb spring easy. So you are not under gunned...

What happens if the fish more then 25lbs? Will my line snap? I'm guessing you keep your drag setting low?

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »

U shouldnt have a problem landing a 25lb spring at all with even 15lb, 25lb mainline is great u are equipt for what ever spring decides to eat your bait

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »

What happens if the fish more then 25lbs? Will my line snap? I'm guessing you keep your drag setting low?

Is time to play with the fish  ;) :D

chronicfisher

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:42 PM »

Is time to play with the fish  ;) :D

Hehe  8) bring on the fish and let the learning begin thanks for the info

losos

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »

Sorry noob here but what happens if you run into a spring that weighs more then you line rating? ( ie 30 lbs spring vs 20lb line) never fished springs before hopefully will be able to land one this year.im currently equipped with a 25lb mono/floro coated main line was told I'm under gunned.
You're not undergunned for sure otherwise how would you fish for steelhead with noodle rod rated 2-8 lb.If I am correct the record for steely is 39 LB.
 A friend of mine landed 44 lb spring on 20 lb main line. Line rating alone doesn't tell the whole story. You have your rod flexibility to add to it.

chronicfisher

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »

You're not undergunned for sure otherwise how would you fish for steelhead with noodle rod rated 2-8 lb.If I am correct the record for steely is 39 LB.
 A friend of mine landed 44 lb spring on 20 lb main line. Line rating alone doesn't tell the whole story. You have your rod flexibility to add to it.

What line rating should the rod be? I have a 12-25lb 10'6.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »

What line rating should the rod be? I have a 12-25lb 10'6.

You can use your rod to pull out big springs from Fraser or Thompson river with no problem. 

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »

This 40 pound spring was landed on a 12 lb ultragreen leader in fast, high water.  A 15 lb leader is plenty heavy for any fish in the Vedder/Chilliwack.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »

I've landed 15+ pound springs on 6 pound test leader when fishing coho in completely slack side channels float fishing roe.